Should we switch back to OLD forum?

Jiu Jitsu Forums Forums The lockeroom Should we switch back to OLD forum?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

chucksmanhood
    Participant

If it aint broke, You ruined my JJF experience.

Dirtyrancher
    Participant

I liked JJF1.o and got used to JJF2.9 <– what you had up last (remember I had those changes when you first went to 2.0)

But as far as losing users – FWIW – I recently took a web dev class and learned about the percentages of people that leave during waiting for a page to load… ie. yahoo found 5-9% dropout after 400 ms, etc. I’m sure you’ve read this. So that said – we all came to the forums for the forums, and upon loading, the forums aren’t there. You have to click and choose. Now likely we could all set to whatever page we wanted in our browsers, however, currently I just type “j” and http://www.jiujitsuforums.com is autofilled due to habit. Setting up our browsers to get to forums takes work on our end, or enough time that our browsers pick it up.

I click to get to forums, then click again to get one of the major forum divisions, and from there, once I choose “jiu jitsu discussion”  thats it, I do not go back to another forum division.

At minimum – the latest posts should be displayed like in ver 1.0-2.9 irrespective of the major forum division label

But, I think jiujitsuforums.com should lead to a forum page above all.

It wasn’t until after I wrote the sentence above did I see the “Latest topics” tag

So that’s where I would direct traffic first… while the technique library is cool, etc. that’s not why people come here, there are other specialty sites and youtube for that.

So overall, I think regardless of what software you use – having the latest topics (but even that route suffers because on this software the categories disappear on that page) shown upon initial page load will keep the users

It’s like this… I never click on goatfury’s redirects, it’s another page load, I have to remap where things are at upon arriving, etc. I do watch jasculs videos because they are embedded in the thread at jjf… and eventually that caused me to look at his site.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Dirtyrancher.

Dirtyrancher
    Participant

After reading my post – I kinda realized I can email Jack or whatever…

The more important question to those remaining:

Did you like it better with the latest forum posts laid out in front of you?

Jack – do we even need the major divisions? I think the subject line often speaks for itself.

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

I think ill put the “Latest Topics” tab on the front page for now.

Girafa
    Participant

Every change everywhere makes people upset and some of them leave.

After a while new folk come in and we’re back on track. So it may be wise to start advertising the forum a bit and get the word out.

bma_mat
    Participant

I hate change hahahaha so im biased.  I was here when the forum had like zero users.  Wont be going anywhere , my post count doesnt let me leave

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

After doing a bunch of research, it seems Xenforo is the best “full blown” forum software out there right now.  VBulletin is a mess.  phpBB is old and out of date.

Now have to see if there is anyway to port.  UGH…. time suuuuuuuck

bma_mat
    Participant

Good luck man.  In the long run all the loyal poster who enjoy this forum are going to stay on the forum. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. You’re gonna lose some people but eventually others are going to join. Just do whatever makes you happy.

Even with just a base of 10 people who are active, that’s more than enough. When this forum first started it was only a few of us. Worst  scenario  almost everybody leaves, and even then, it will fill up again.

irishman301
    Participant

I liked the old forum that you had like 5 years ago…It was not the last version you had, but the one before that. You seemed to have lost a ton of your traffic after made that switch. I’ve found that the most active forums are the ones that have the same layout as this guitar forum here:

http://www.guitarforums.com/

Very user-friendly layout.

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

Thats vBulletin.  vBulletin is dead.  The original developers left, and its been a mess ever since.  Gets hacked and spammed constantly.

The best option these days seems to be this:

https://xenforo.com/community/

Its commercial like vBulletin.  Tons of vBulletin sites have moved to it or refuse to upgrade.

Joy
    Participant

My only complaint is that I can’t figure out how to post pictures .  It asked me for a location and I put an iPhone and it does nothing ?

andy-barker
    Participant

I like the old version better as well.

jiujitsunoob
    Participant

I’m not going to vote in the vote thing.

I like the community and have been here a LONG time – I will keep coming back here even if it’s sporadic when I do for as long as BJJ is a hobby.

My ups and downs on the forum have nothing to do with software or user interface but are internal to me.

Good luck Jack!

Eric
    Participant

Jack switch it back please this software is SHITTY for mobile devices.

Dirtyrancher
    Participant

The jiujitsunoob Sayeth:

“I’m not going to vote in the vote thing.

I like the community and have been here a LONG time – I will keep coming back here even if it’s sporadic when I do for as long as BJJ is a hobby.

My ups and downs on the forum have nothing to do with software or user interface but are internal to me.

Good luck Jack!”

Lol, yes, in a way, that’s what I”m still thinking…it’s obvious the older I get, the crankier I get, and you can see that in sporadic posts… if I didn’t do it here, it would be against my turtle, and he doesn’t seem to react much, so it’s not that much fun. Also, this is one of the few places I can run on sentence, use double quotes for single, and mismatch your, you’re, yall, all a yalls.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.