Should we switch back to OLD forum?

Jiu Jitsu Forums Forums The lockeroom Should we switch back to OLD forum?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

Im really unhappy with the new forum software, mostly because of its poor performance.

It does not scale.  Requires 300% more power to run, but love the integration with wordpress.

About to pull the trigger and switch back to the old forum.  There havent been that many new posts, so I may just throw the switch and not bother going through the NIGHTMARE of migrating posts back, which is probably not even possible at this point.

So should probably make that decision REALLY SOON.

I figure, ill use the old forum software and simply link to the new stuff that runs on wordpress, with the technique libraries, blogs, etc, so I can keep growing that.

GIVE ME YOUR FEEDBACK!!!

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

Crap…. google has re-indexed everything already. This may not be possible at this point.

Arrrghhh im gonna scream.

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

All the forums solutions suck these days. Really fricken frustrated.

bsenka
    Participant

I don’t hang around very much at all anymore, mostly because the forum software is too frustrating of a user experience.

You’re not alone at feeling over a barrel with this stuff too. A few of the other forums that I used to go to have basically gone from thousands of visitors a day to ghost towns after recent software upgrades. I almost never go back to those sites either. No one seems to like any of the options that they’ve seen both from an admin and a user perspective.

jthomas1600
    Participant

Bummer. I would definitely be in favor of switching back.

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

The old old site used to run on PHPBB.  Its archaic but people seemed to like it.

I move to VanillaForums, which was a lot newer and slicker and a bunch of people left because they were frustrated with it.

It seems no matter what I use, people get pissed and leave.   I guess I should just stick to ONE shitty solution forever???? Because people HATE CHANGE.

Just cant win.

Tyharris14
    Participant

Mm this one just seems like it has a lot of problems, at least for the mobile version. Less features, the site itself doesn’t look quite as good, it usually doesn’t show me which threads have new posts, I have to manually refresh the page (the old site I’d just leave JJF open as my home page and close safari, then when I opened safari again it would update). Then there are all the glitches that you’ve posted about trying to fix.

So yes, I liked the old one better, but I don’t want all of your work to be for naught and don’t know anything about the feasibility of switching back.

Tyharris14
    Participant

And yeah, I liked the oldest one lol. When you switched it I didn’t like the new one, but that was just because it was different, not because it didn’t work or didn’t work as well. I think the newest site is a bit of a downgrade from the previous one, rather than just being different.

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

Im still trying to figure out why people liked the oldest one.

Version 2.0 had the best easiest to use forum software. WEEEIIIRD

regaldeagle
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with the new forums.  If takes a few more clicks to get where I want to go.  I like the community enough to deal with that slight inconvenience

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

“I don’t have a problem with the new forums. If takes a few more clicks to get where I want to go. I like the community enough to deal with that slight inconvenience”

Thats really cool, but most people are finicky.  Found a thread on another site that is several years old recommending this site because of the great community here **BUT** the poster left anyway because of the new software *ugh*

It just doesnt take much for people to leave, so I need to take that seriously.

Ive spent 50 hours working on this stuff and its not cutting it.  Such a huge waste of effort and I still dont have a solution I like. GAH.

regaldeagle
    Participant

I guess my point is don’t change on account of me.  I like this place.  I tell other people to come here.  Technology changes so quickly these days your core community will adapt because of the community.  The folks that leave were most likely going to do so eventually anyway.  Kinda like BJJ really.

That said..if YOU don’t like it then by all means change it!   Ultimately, we as a community will adapt to what you like.  After all you’re the one paying to host it, administer it, and run it!!!

christiancastleman
    Participant

I liked 2.0 fine, some nice features (highlighting new posts, thanking etc.).  This one is clunky.  V 1.0 was good too I thought

taketheback
    Participant

I honestly don’t know a whole lot about the technology part of all this but I appreciate the effort jackjitsu puts into running the site. I’m gonna continue using it either way so I’m cool with whatever you decide. I’ve taken several quotes from the forums and shown to new white belts and some of them have kept the new students from quitting. I enjoy having somewhere I can read the input of more experienced jits guys and girls. As long as people keep posting and sharing stories I’m satisfied.

halfguardian
    Participant

Yeah I preferred the older forum – I agree that you didn’t have to click around as much. Also, you didn’t have to look around as much to find “3 new comments” or something along those lines. In saying that, this one is fine – whatever you end up doing with the software ill stay 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.