Jiu-jitsu tournaments for kids

Jiu Jitsu Forums Forums Jiu Jitsu Discussion Jiu-jitsu tournaments for kids

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Kyle84
    Participant

My son does wrestling and jiu-jitsu. I do not understand jiu-jitsu tournament they cost close to 100 dollars and they only get one match per division. I wouldn’t mind the money if they were run like wrestling tournaments.

Birdman
    Participant

You must be referring to Ibjjf tournaments.

Most local tournament are double eliminate so kids are guaranteed 2 matches and generally cost less.

Kyle84
    Participant

Naga and fuji formally kozen tournaments. Both had 2 man brackets with winner getting gold and looser getting silver. It just seems like I’m the only one that has a problem with this. I asked the people at fuji they said it’s for safety reasons (then don’t have divisions for kids). Just wish the bjj people running these tournaments would got to a Rocky Mountain national wrestling tournament and see how a grappling tournament should be done

Tyharris14
    Participant

NAGA is awful. Just in general

Kyle84
    Participant

Seems like they just want your money.

USAGrappling
    Participant

I really appreciate this post Mom.  I’m the Director of Grappling for USA Wrestling in California.  I’m working to do something about this.  I love the vibe at the bjj tournaments, but would like to have them run more like wrestling tournaments.  Additionally I believe that wrestlers learn a ton from the problem solving involved with bjj…counter to this bjj could benefit from the toughness of the wrestling grind.  

We are hosting a tournament in Santa Monica that has both a wrestling and grappling.  Please help spread the word.

Blair.

MrCuddles
    Participant

like for realz? Because that could be huge

Kyle84
    Participant

Not a mom. I’m from Kentucky. Wrestling wasn’t at my school. It’s all a learning experience for me. I have learned a lot and help coach him. He does well

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.