Jiu Jitsu Fingers

Jiu Jitsu Forums Forums Jiu Jitsu Discussion Jiu Jitsu Fingers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JP0081
    Participant

For the past few weeks, my ring fingers have been swollen at the bottom of the finger. It’s not really the joint…I guess it’s like the base of the finger, before it turns into the palm (I don’t know what to call that part!). It has been a little sore, but I didn’t think much of it until I tried to put on my wedding ring. It’s not even close to being able to fit anymore. Just wondering, 1) will this go away in time? And 2) is there anything I can do to prevent the swelling (or more swelling) in the future? My grip strength doesn’t seem to be effected. It just doesn’t seem like the swelling is going down at all, and I’m wondering if these are my new fingers.

christiancastleman
    Participant

ICE and Ibuprofen.  Unfortunately finger injuries can often take a REALLY long time to heal.  I have had 2 ruptured tendons in past couple years each took more than 6 months to get relatively pain free.  It did help me to splint my finger for the first 6 weeks or so.  I found the handle of a plastic spoon just right (less weight and bulk than a store bought splint and more hygienic than a wood popsicle stick.

exog
    Participant

I have other finger issues, namely that the joints ache. Taping two and two fingers together seems to have helped me get better, you could try that.

This also has the benefit of making your hands look like the Ninja Turtles!

christiancastleman
    Participant

Injury aside google for Kurt Osiander’s how to tape fingers.  1. he is a legend and funny 2. he shows THE right way to tape fingers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.