BJJ uniform code policies?

Jiu Jitsu Forums Forums Jiu Jitsu Discussion BJJ uniform code policies?

• This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Ian 1 month ago.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

nirad
    Participant

Recently a buddy of mines school implemented a new uniform code where you can only wear school gis. I’m neutral on the whole school dress code policies but wanted to get your guys opinions on it. I know ATOS San Diego and AOJ have a white gi only policy. Is it good or bad? Thoughts? 

Tyharris14
    Participant

I don’t mind color specifications but it’s annoying to me when gyms require certain gis or a school patch

honkytonk
    Participant

I understand it.it does look good but let’s not pussyfoot about its normally a way for the instructor to make money selling GIs.I don’t think that’s too bad either for two reasons firstly I don’t mind people trying to make a few more quid out of the business but also its not like most teachers are raking it in all the overheads of a gym you have to do things to make the business work if we are looking for people who are being over paid for what they do I don’t think bjj instructors would be high on the list.

jackjitsu
    Keymaster
    If I had a school, I would require standard, very cool, team GI’s, and would sell them near cost.
    I lean extremely toward being an individual, but in this case, standardized uniforms really create a feeling of team/family for new students.  Its just good business.  
    Its hard for new people to walk into a school full of new people, where many upper belts that typically ignore them because they assume they will wash out soon.
    Humans are tribal.  Youre forming a BJJ tribe if you are smart, as an instructor. Symbolism matters.  😉
    Gracie Barra was my first school.  Wearing the same uniform from day one, and looking like everyone else really instills that feeling that you are welcomed/accepted on this new team.

stevebuyshouses
    Participant

As long as the requirement is white gi then I am in #whitegimatter and Shoyoroll I guess 🙂

christiancastleman
    Participant

I really think that color being dictated is not bad,  Personally white gets dirty so I would say all BLUE gis for example.  Then set up several options for new students including a cost conscious one (say Fuji Judo Gi for $50).  I would have 1 gi be part of my initiation fee up front so everyone starts with it.  Then support them in finding brand/s that work for them.

My big issues with “you must wear X gi” is 2 things.  1. They tend to be mediocre quality for high price and 2. They will not fit everyone well.
    All this said my school is open to whatever, have trained with people wearing:
    white
    black
    blue
    light blue
    navy
    red
    yellow
    orange
    pink
    camo
    olive green
    gray
    charcoal
    aqua
    I am probably even forgetting some.

nirad
    Participant

Interesting thoughts. I’m sort of neutral on this. I believe in team uniformity but I also believe in self-expression. 

nathan barley
    Participant

I’m against it, and all other things being equal I’d take my business elsewhere. What if I don’t like the fit of the team gi? What if I want something thicker/lighter? What if I want to spend more/less? What if I just plain don’t like the style? That said, I can see the benefits from a school owner’s point of view. For me the best way is to allow students to wear whatever they want (within reason!), but have club stuff too. If there’s genuine team spirit in the club people will wear the team gear out of choice. For example, my gym doesn’t have a required uniform, but I bought all the club rash guards etc. and so did everyone else. 

scifigal
    Participant

I’m against it. Part of it is my situation – military dependent. We are going to move every few years. This means if I move to a place that requires me to purchase their gis, I can’t use the 6 I already own, and I have to sink more money into a gi that I would feel weird about wearing at another gym. 

I like the “Wear what you like” places.

BearUMbowlOH
    Participant

at my club the only rule is blue/white Gi’s only, unless you are a black belt than you earn the right to wear whatever color you want.

stevebuyshouses
    Participant

I’m against it, and all other things being equal I’d take my business elsewhere. What if I don’t like the fit of the team gi? What if I want something thicker/lighter? What if I want to spend more/less? What if I just plain don’t like the style? That said, I can see the benefits from a school owner’s point of view. For me the best way is to allow students to wear whatever they want (within reason!), but have club stuff too. If there’s genuine team spirit in the club people will wear the team gear out of choice. For example, my gym doesn’t have a required uniform, but I bought all the club rash guards etc. and so did everyone else. 

This is what we do, we can wear whatever but have team gi and everyone owns one

jackjitsu
    Keymaster

I would sell team patch kits at cost, not a full GI.  Fit is a big deal.

christiancastleman
    Participant

I would sell team patch kits at cost, not a full GI.  Fit is a big deal.

We do that with Team patch…most of us have it on some/all of our gis.  I have it on 6 of my 7 in rotation.  I purposely have a White plain ripstop for travel and visiting elsewhere that may have gi restrictions.

chucksmanhood
    Participant

I never understood the fascination that most BJJ dorks have with gis.

halfguardian
    Participant

Some gi brands are fitted for different body types. Sometimes someone might want a good quality one that they think will last them longer.. I can see both sides

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.