Anyone Else have Bad Knee Pain?

Jiu Jitsu Forums Forums Jiu Jitsu Discussion Anyone Else have Bad Knee Pain?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

jjn8
    Participant

Does anyone else have terrible knees? I’m 29 and mine are aching the crap out of me but I’m not sure when I should take a day off or just go ‘suck it up’.

Here’s what I do about it now, let me know if this is bad or you have better advice please:

-I do ice/icy hot and take warm showers after each bjj class
    -I try to stretch every day outside of the stretching in bjj class
    -I try to do certain exercises like duck walks to try strenghthening the knees

But as soon as we work takedowns involving shooting or single legs, bam pain.

Any ideas on what I should do would be great!

-N8

ohhcee
    Participant

try taking some glucosamine and always stretch right after you are done rolling while your body is hot also. maybe where a knee brace and see if that helps?

jjn8
    Participant

Yeah I should get back on that, but i’m horrible at taking pills when I can afford them and sometimes too broke to buy them when I can remember to take them.

Knee braces are tricky cus I can’t find any that fit under my Gi (I have big legs), so I could wear over them. I’ll go back on the gluco like you suggest.

bma_mat
    Participant

I train through many pains.

Moment I feel DISCOMFORT in knees, I take day or two off.

I’m very afraid of getting chronically bad knees. Will kill just about all athletic activities that I love to do.

Yesterday almost injured my knee badly deadlifting. Felt a sharp pain and stopped all activity.

Today don’t feel anything so I’m happy.

niceguyedy
    Participant

I have the same issues, Last week , I notice pain in my knees. lt is not from one specific incident, but a cumulative effect of working on my guard a lot more lately (I think)

I am 32 and the thought of doing permanent harm to my knees scares the crap out of me.I have seen too many old hockey players hobbling around to take my knees lightly.

So, I have recently started wearing knee pads. I don’t wear the huge padded ones, but the elastic fabric with minimal padding so they fit under my gi. I find that they bunch up behind my knee and become uncomfortable, but it is par for the course.A quick look around my class during instruction confirms who is wearing knee pads and who isn’t. There seems to be a “race” to fix/adjust your knee-pads before you begin drilling….lol

They are made by BudoWear…I think

I also started taking glucosamine again, as I feel for the cost ($10 for 120 pills), it is a good investment in my joints. It has also helped with my finger joint pain after gi grabbing drills. Finally, it also helps my “peace of mind”

I would like to continue BJJ long into my life, and I don’t want the stress I am inflicting now, to have a negative effect on my mobility later. I realize that as I get older, the ability to quickly bounce back from injuries or “heal everything with one good nights sleep” is no longer reality.

JTC3495
    Participant

I feel your pain. I only started BJJ a couple weeks ago, & have dealt with a sore body ever since. However this past Monday training session got my knee hurting bad, so I am taking off until Thursday. I have had knee issues before so as long as it is just sore I will train, but the last 2 days it is so stiff I can barely bend my leg.

I definitely need to get some glucosomine & stretch some more to loosen up. I fully expected to be sore as this was my first real athletic activity in 15 years (I am 36), but wow do I feel old the next day after training. The worst thing is my 12 yr kid goes through the same training as me & jumps around the next day calls me old man.

jjn8
    Participant

Thanks for the info everybody. Glad to know I’m not alone. I’ll go buy some new knee pads too I reckon. I want to do this for a very long time and don’t want to hobble around in my 60’s much less my 30’s.

They usually start if we have to change levels to shoot or if we practice escaping guillotines or guardwork. But mostly shooting.

ohhcee
    Participant

try this knee brace, i picked it up at walmart and it works great, the open patella prevents it from moving around while rolling and it doesn’t have that uncomfortable middle brace behind the knee and its adjustable.

http://www.muellersportsmed.com/Knee_St … usting.htm

Kintanon
    Participant

I have chronic knee issues from my time in TKD, and the ONLY thing that keeps the pain away is squats.

When I’m lifting, my knees are great. Feel great all the time, don’t ever ache. If I stop lifting for a couple of weeks they start to ache all the time.

Take it with a grain of salt, but you might want to start working A2G squats into your lifting if you are worried about knee pain.

bma_mat
    Participant

I have chronic knee issues from my time in TKD, and the ONLY thing that keeps the pain away is squats.

When I’m lifting, my knees are great. Feel great all the time, don’t ever ache. If I stop lifting for a couple of weeks they start to ache all the time.

Take it with a grain of salt, but you might want to start working A2G squats into your lifting if you are worried about knee pain.

YES
    YES
    YES

I for one don’t like the idea of knee braces unless absolutely necessary. All these ankle braces, braces, braces, braces. They will make your joints weak and badly stabilized.

Strengthen your joint naturally, better in the long run. Do SQUATS.

infantry317
    Participant

Drink water, water and more water. Glucosomine, fish oil. I had to cut back on the coffee also, 1 cup, no more or I’m running for the rest room all day! I also do bodyweight squats all the way down. Ibuprofen after class.

Amave
    Participant

bad knees checking in

i am on glucosamine & chondroitin and leg strength routine right now

had 2 torn meniscus and am in recovery of this last one now

sucks so bad because knee injuries take forever to heal right

ohhcee
    Participant

while i do agree with doing squats and lunges, even if its your own body weight ( we do them as warm ups) , having a knee brace helps a lot, when i injured my knee it allowed me to continue class and kept it nice and warm, and I am not a young spring chicken anymore. I dont use it anymore but given the situation i didnt see the problem with one, it helped a lot.

treoptika333
    Participant

Squats, my knees are pretty trashed from skateboarding as a kid. Keep up with your squats / lunges and it will help re-build up the necessary muscles to support your knee.

clinzy
    Participant

Squats are awesome. Get with a certified S&C coach to make sure you’re doing them right, though. Doing improper squats can mess your knees up more than they already are.

Keys I’ve learned for squatting – core stays tight, chest stays upright, hips go back, knees stay pushing out, and heels stay flat on the floor. Oh, and ATG is a given – you must break parallel to protect your knees. Full range of motion is where it’s at.Send a gift back

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.