SORE THROAT
  • JTRAMPAS
    4.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,045
    hey guys, after getting choked, especially lapel choked, my throat can stay sore for a couple of days. just curious if this is normal. when this happens it feels like im getting strep throat, just a dull , sore feeling . anybody else expecience this??? i guess to eliminate it i can just stop getting choked out. :rofl: :rofl:
  • placa
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 988
    when you were getting choked, did you tap immediately, or did you try forcing yourself out of it?

• bma_mat
    205.00 KarmaPMPosts: 10,919
    Throat pain I've never had from bjj. Sometimes, when I really don't tap to a RNC because it's cranking and not choking, the neck can be sore for a day or two. But throat, I think you develop resistance after a while.

• AndrewPTBJJ
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 727
    JT:

It has happened to me before, especially if the guy choking you crushes your throat instead of the sides of your neck (blood choke). Mine stayed sore for a few days.

• JTRAMPAS
    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you were getting choked, did you tap immediately, or did you try forcing yourself out of it?

forced myself out and right before i was about to escape the guy really yanked on my lapel to cinch up the slack. originally the choke did not seem that tight otherwise i woulda tapped. im not one of those hardasses that has to pass out while practicing, again, it did not seem that tight until the last second. looking back i guess i coulda tapped sooner but i really felt i could escape.

• placa
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 988
    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

forced myself out and right before i was about to escape the guy really yanked on my lapel to cinch up the slack. originally the choke did not seem that tight otherwise i woulda tapped. im not one of those hardasses that has to pass out while practicing, again, it did not seem that tight until the last second. looking back i guess i coulda tapped sooner but i really felt i could escape.

from the sound of it, it seems like you just had your adams apple jingled around a bit... the sore throat was probably a result of a crushed wind pipe... you should be fine, just drink thick fluids (milk) to ease the pain

• kuangren
    18.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,404
    Yeah it happens, but it will happen less as you learn how to block chokes and iuf you roll with guys who know how to do them correctly--the guy is doing the choke wrong on you if it's crushing your windpipe. Use cough drops or whatever to ease the pain for now, and tap earlier next time to be on the safe side--too much swelling in your trachea is dangerous.

• SHOTCALLER
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 278
    Yeah it happens, but it will happen less as you learn how to block chokes and iuf you roll with guys who know how to do them correctly--the guy is doing the choke wrong on you if it's crushing your windpipe. Use cough drops or whatever to ease the pain for now, and tap earlier next time to be on the safe side--too much swelling in your trachea is dangerous.
    why it wont just heal up, wat can happen if u get too much swelling in trachea???

• JTRAMPAS
    yeah... good question... what exactly can happen if there is too much swelling in trachea??? other than not being able to breathe?? :?

• TalkShowOnMute
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 324
    yeah... good question... what exactly can happen if there is too much swelling in trachea??? other than not being able to breathe?? :?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I've had more sore throats than i can remember, especially on days we drill collar chokes. Hurts to swallow. Sucks. I haven't had it in a few months but it used to be that I would get it every other week at minimum.

comes with the territory, along with skinned knuckles/toes, calluses, pain in your fingers, bad knees/elbows, turf toe. BJJ is great but it will break your body down, most guys that have been in BJJ for any real length of time have had serious injuries or surgeries.

Ask you instructor if he has ever had surgery or what problems he has and you will see...

Both of mine have had knee surgeries, back problems..etc..etc.

But we do it for love not to preserve/protect ourselves.

• ImaJitsAddict
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 889
    Whats happening though? is it hurting directly in the middle of your neck on your trachea or is the hurt on the sides around your lymph node regions?

Does it feel like you have a strep throat type effect going on?

• JTRAMPAS
    yeah its basically sore on one side, like i said, he really cranked the RNC. i felt it as it happened, felt like my windpipe was crushed. i honestly didnt think much of it because ive felt a little sore after drilling before, just not this sore. i really appreciate all the feedback guys!!!

• Nixxon
    I never really actually get a sore throat in the traditional sense. But the muscles outside of my actual trachea are sore almost like being bruised or sore like they were worked out.

We do alot of exercises to strengthen the neck though so when I do get choked out usually my neck muscles do a fair job of protecting my wind pipe.

• bma_mat
    I never really actually get a sore throat in the traditional sense. But the muscles outside of my actual trachea are sore almost like being bruised or sore like they were worked out.

We do alot of exercises to strengthen the neck though so when I do get choked out usually my neck muscles do a fair job of protecting my wind pipe.

Yea, we also do lots of neck exercises. I do them on my own part also. I find that a strong neck is one of the most important things in bjj, other than a strong core.

• kuangren
    18.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,404

Exactly that. If you get your windpipe crushed bad enough, it can swell to the point where it closes off and you can't breathe--perhaps an hour or two after the initial trauma. I don't think it's terribly likely to happen if you know when to tap. But still gotta protect that adam's apple...

• Nixxon

Yea, we also do lots of neck exercises. I do them on my own part also. I find that a strong neck is one of the most important things in bjj, other than a strong core.

As luck would have it, tonight I got choked out harder than ever before. I was breathing fine with my neck muscles tensed. Uncomfortable but no way was I gonna tap. Then for some reason my neck collapsed and I felt my windpipe actually squish totally flat.

Result.... sore throat. :owned: :(

• bma_mat

As luck would have it, tonight I got choked out harder than ever before. I was breathing fine with my neck muscles tensed. Uncomfortable but no way was I gonna tap. Then for some reason my neck collapsed and I felt my windpipe actually squish totally flat.

Result.... sore throat. :owned: :(

lol.

Weird, never feld my neck collapse, although I have had my back spasm on me when I tried putting more force than I should into an armbar from guard.

• engineer
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 171
    If your trachea is irritated by too much pressure, it can cause swelling, and pain like strep throat. It would have to be irritated to the extreme to swell closed, but it could happen. It sounds like your muscles failed from fatigue, and the extra pressure that was applied because they were tensed caused your trachea to crush. It can be dangerous, but by tapping, you probably avoided long term injuries. Thick fluids, and a chloraseptic are your best friends right now. Also, ice wrapped in a towel, and put on your throat should help ease any muscle pain. Avoid heat at all costs, as it increases blood flow, and can cause swelling to become more severe.

Not a doctor, but am studying to become one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion