Do you eventually stop bruising so easily?
  • dogboo
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 2
    Im into my second week of BJJ and if i take my shirt off it looks like someone went at me with a hammer. Bruises EVERYWHERE, they dont hurt, but its kind of annoying for people to keep pointing them out to me, especially on my arms.
  • thegent
    20.00 KarmaPMPosts: 871
    That's normal. You'll get less and less with time, because you'll relax more in sparring.

• dos531
    3.00 KarmaPMPosts: 104
    Some people just bruise more easily than others. I'm a little over a year in now and I still get bruised up pretty good. It gets better but probly wont go away completely.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    624.00 KarmaPMPosts: 17,035
    Yes... virtually immune now

Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store

• jiujitsunoob
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 3,056
    I became mostly immune - until I switched to the GI - now I'm getting bruised in different places due to someone grabbing the GI and some flesh with it - instead of the bruises looking like finger print marks they now look quite strange.

When they grab then twist the GI - those are the worst of the new bruises.

Anyway yes you become less bruised the longer you do it IMO.

• Niles Standish
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 74
    I've been getting bruised up pretty badly as well. I was more bothered by the mat burns on the top of my foot during the first 2 weeks of class.

• Dragon Magico
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 126
    No.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    624.00 KarmaPMPosts: 17,035
    No.

DM uses Olay Professional Pro-X Anti-Aging cream all over his body for baby butt soft skin, so he continues to bruise easily. (and smells nice too!)

Everyone else... not so much... my skin is like leather now

:mrgreen:
    Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store

• CarlosJesena
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 182
    No.

DM uses Olay Professional Pro-X Anti-Aging cream all over his body for baby butt soft skin, so he continues to bruise easily. (and smells nice too!)

Hey man, don't diss the product :cuss: Just tryin to make this LOOK GOOD :thumbsup:

• dsquared
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 295
    Here's some more stuff to look forward to:

Fat finger joints
    Cauliflower ear
    Broken toes
    Gi Burns on your neck that look like hickies

• medic_RN
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 84
    You also need to monitor your advil, tylenol, aleve, and aspirin (especially aspirin) intake.

All of these medications can make you bruise easily. If you limit your intake of these medications you may see a small difference.

My bruising varies. If I'm rolling with someone pretty good and I'm having to work for a position (or out of a position) I notice I bruise easier. You're just starting out so I'm sure you're working pretty hard to get out of bad positions or submissions.

Good luck!

• liighter
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 249
    This also could be a problem of diet, you might have a slight iron difficiency. To avoid injury and increase your ability to train, pop some glucosamine and make sure you're eating some raw greens.

• lstbred
    8.00 KarmaPMPosts: 917
    I get "bruise checked' everyday from the wife, "how the hell did you get one there?" lol, for me the most annoying is the skin grabbers! :evil: they grab on like their drowning and grip for life! Just got my first shiner, day after "who kicked you in the face? what? just blew it off, 10min later the bookkeeper asked "whats wrong with your eye?" so I looked in the mirror and BAM! the whole lid was f'ed up, didnt even realize, getting hit and beat up is pretty much part of the game.

• peacock
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 32
    just get a sun tan to help camouflage your marks

• coytheboy
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 208
    just get a sun tan to help camouflage your marks

It's nice to be Black.

• camboselecta
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 325
    I thought boxing was tuff on the body....BJJ wrecks me way worse!

I get black eyes from people trying to gi choke me but missing! :shock:

Burns, bruises, fingers bleeding, feet scabbed and cut from the mats was very bad, scars from gi burns on the fingers ( thanks spider guard), knees burned, a rib has come loss when I got stacked once, torn rotator cuff and cut lips. I like it all though, makes me feel like Im doing something worth doing.

No coly ears yet though. My Mrs says she gonna leave me if I get them! :shock:

• Dragon Magico
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 126
    No.

All this time, you ... you knew?

• scifigal
    41.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,773
    Holy crap--my legs are so bruised! I actually put up pictures on my flickr. Yowza!

Cauliflower ears? Ick! There is a guy in our group who has one of those. I don't want them!

• billiniraqbilliniraq
    360.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,902
    Gold VIP Member
    Here's some more stuff to look forward to:

Fat finger joints
    Cauliflower ear
    Broken toes
    Gi Burns on your neck that look like hickies

Word!! Don't forget finger tip bruises on your inner thighs! Have em after every class.
    I just kept getting my ass kicked until one day I wasn't getting my ass kicked.

• Tbruce
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 91
    You will always have the same ease at which you WILL bruise, but once you getter at BJJ you be in positions that will make it less likely that you WILL bruise!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion