Funniest Martial Arts MYTHS you have personally been told
  • jackjitsujackjitsu
    632.00 KarmaPMPosts: 17,049
    Now that we know what really works, id like to hear about the stupidest stuff you have heard while in conversations with friends.

For example, at a party last year, someone introduced me to this dude because he realized we both took martial arts.

So I ask the guy, what do you train in? And he replies NINJITSU

It was all I could do not to crack a big wise a** smile and roll my eyes :rofl:

He goes on to tell me about this american ninja academy he is in and all the secret moves they learn. Man, I wanted to rip into him so bad but..... it wasnt the right situation :lol: I had to listen about his instructor, this guy that could tear your head off before you could blink, and all the typical hollywood crap. Poor guy got sucked into a cult. I bet his instructor is some 50 year old fat pale white dude with lots of fake certificates on the walls :roflcat:
    Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store
  • dirt mcgirt
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,490
    A situation like this is where someone like mat would come in handy. Have mat challenge the dude, but before he ruins the good name of BJJ, Jack will intervene and take the fight with the ninja himself. JK, mat :thumbsup:

btw, I've got a funny picture of ninjitsu that I'm going to have to post when I get home. You should forward this to your new ninja friend, Jack.

edit-- The greatest myth came from me, when I said BJJ was gay a couple years ago. I've had a change of heart ever since being introduced to Pride and HERO's though. Especially after seeing how effective it is first hand at the gym.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Mat would own the fat ninja :lol:
    That would be like a 10 second RNC :mrgreen:
    Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    I always love it when some soccer mom tells me about her "black belt" daughter than could take a full grown man out. Ummmm... how old is she, I ask? How long has she been training?

Oh, she's only 14!!! She's so good she got her black belt in just 1 year, as she smiles at me with the ignorant glee only a mother is capable of :lol:

I just want to swallow a shot gun blast when I hear stuff like this :ahh:

• bma_mat
    137.00 KarmaPMPosts: 10,784
    Mmmmm, RNC ftw :D Under 10 seconds lol.

Hm, let's see. Oh yea, I once heard that the best, best fighters were the ones that hit you with their fingers. That they could basically jab you with 2 fingers, tearing your muscles/ligaments apart. Oh, that got my to strike at a boxing bag with 2 fingers for like a week lol. It also semi broke (cracked the bone a bit) one of my fingers when using it on someone lol.

• jiujitsunoob
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 3,056
    I have a friend I met over the net who lives in Ireland.

He takes ninjitsu also; I after describing jiujitsu and telling him about some of the rolling that I had done he said you guys practice on each other? I said yea you don't? He said no what we learn is much too dangerous to practice on a real opponent :roll: .

What I really like about jiujitsu is you KNOW this shit works because you use it in every class against a live struggling opponent. It's real, it hurts at times, and you just know from all that practical experience that it's useful.

If your learning something and you have never had the chance to use on a live resisting and unpredictable opponent then how in the hell do you know if what your learning is effective?

I got him to go to one of the recent UFC matches in Ireland and looked up some BJJ schools close to him for him to go and try it out. That was a couple of weeks ago, I need to talk to him this weekend to see if he has had the chance to audit a jiujitsu class.

• bma_mat
    Thing is, if he never used it on smoeone who resists and is unpredictable, he won't be able to do much. You need to practice anything to get it good. Whenever I learn a submission off the internet, it takes me a good 5-6 seconds longer than it should to do it the first time. After the first 2-3 times though, it's sunk in.

Practice Practice Practice.

• rhythmythyc
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 95
    Dismissing Ninjutsu without knowing about it puts you in the same category as those who dismiss BJJ without knowing what it can do. While Ninjutsu may not be strictly a martial art, there are certain martial arts elements associated with a legitimate history of Ninjutsu.

• bma_mat
    Ninjitsu is a bunch of old people with black hoods!

• jiujitsunoob
    Yes but even we practice dangerous and deadly moves in Jiujitsu we just know when to stop - now given there MAY be moves they can't practice against a live and unpredictable opponent but I would venture to day the vast majority of whatever they learn could be practiced as we practice. If you can't practice at all against an unpredictable opponent then I say it's mostly BS - from what my friend was saying they do kata's and no sparing.

This does not take away from the legendary Ninja's of old but the example my friend gave seems like a McDojo type of thing.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    No it doesnt, because I actually know about ninjitsu. I know that a huge majority of the people in the US that claim to teach ninjitsu are full of crap. There isnt even a consensus on what real ninjitsu is, was, or who actually ninja's were. Its all a big grey area lost to history and blurred by hollywood and fat old guys looking to make a buck. This is very different than when someone tells you they take BJJ. Most BJJ schools are legit, and the odds are, they know some real stuff that really works. Worlds of difference.

Go find me 10 random so called "ninja's" from 10 different states in the USA, and then do the same for BJJ guys. Go find 10 BJJ blue belts from 10 different states.
    Then have an MMA battle between them.

Ive got a $100 that says the BJJ guys win 10/10 fights.

Dismissing Ninjutsu without knowing about it puts you in the same category as those who dismiss BJJ without knowing what it can do. While Ninjutsu may not be strictly a martial art, there are certain martial arts elements associated with a legitimate history of Ninjutsu.

• jiujitsukid
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 170
    they had a guy that knew ninjitsu in one of the first ufc's and he got his a** kicked by a boxer in like 10 seconds :rofl:

• jiujitsunoob
    The Ninjitsu guys will tell you he really didn't know Ninjitsu :rofl:
    Because a real Ninjitsu guy would be able to take on all of the UFC combatants that are going to fight at the same time.

Hell just to make it a challenge the Ninjitsu guy will give them all swords just so he can show how he can disarm them all before kicking their asses.

• dirt mcgirt
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,490
    Thats the image I wanted to post... Shows the ninjitsu guy on his knees, face full of blood with a look on his face thats says... "WTF happend?"

"ninjitsu... save it for the movies"

• bma_mat
    The Ninjitsu guys will tell you he really didn't know Ninjitsu :rofl:
    Because a real Ninjitsu guy would be able to take on all of the UFC combatants that are going to fight at the same time.

Hell just to make it a challenge the Ninjitsu guy will give them all swords just so he can show how he can disarm them all before kicking their asses.

HAHAHAA, that was good man.

• jiujitsunoob
    Perhaps we should rename the thread to "Let's all bash Ninjitsu" HAHA

Sorry I'll try to contain my scorn - I just watched some fat white guy demonstrating Ninjitsu on YouTube. The whole time I'm thinking yea right it works on your students because they are playing along.

Kinda like all the Akido demonstrations I'v seen.

I'v yet to see a real Akido person fight in a street fight or mma type fight and win.

• Micker
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 266
    Did he learn that no matter how many ninjas he is with, that they are only allowed to attack one at a time??

• rhythmythyc

I'v yet to see a real Akido person fight in a street fight or mma type fight and win.

Woa, attacking ninjitsu is one thing, but Aikido?

Aikido is partly based on Jujutsu, just as BJJ - only it focuses on standup (think of it as a cross between Judo and BJJ). A lot of the ideas are the same - centralization, not fighting strength with strength. The arm locks are very similar to BJJ. Obviously, no one martial art will make you a complete fighter - aikido and BJJ would actually make for a great combination.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Of all the martial arts, Aikido has always given me the impression that it requires the most choreography to work :rofl:

Even back when I was a TKD nut, our TKD club challenged the Aikido club in college. We held sparring sessions, with no head contact allowed. The Aikido guys just got demolished. They had no answer to someone who didnt go along with their little dance.

Watch this akido guy, (with long girl hair), attempt to fight some karate guy
    I guess he expected the guy to walk toward him with an arm sticking way out like they do in class
    :owned:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BEFyswBe4x0

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Speaking of MYTHS....
    watch this garbage for a good laugh :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KGRQgrdrG0k

• Zending
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 934
    You know, to be honest, if you laid into any practitioner of a martial art and destroyed him with BJJ, he would be more heartbroken and angry rather than interested in learning BJJ.

We put our heart and souls into BJJ, and they do the same for their martial art. Most of them are just too prideful to admit when their martial art is inneffective. It's a sad truth. I don't bother trying to argue with people or prove anyone wrong about their practice. I just do my thing, and if the time ever comes where I have the chance to prove it in a peaceful way, I will.

• bma_mat
    I have gotten friends who swore in punching to practice BJJ with me.

I just tell them to go all out on me with gloves on, and take them apart. Works every time.

• Locke07
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 2,780
    Honestly I agree BJJ is a great martial art. It's effective, but so is boxing? Many a time have we seen strikers laying out bjj guys. I don't know why people on this forum seem so hellbent on how much better BJJ is than any other martial art. Yes it works, but at the sime time there are people who practice martial arts for other reasons than beating each other up. Many of those katas you put on videos and laugh at are instructional expos, which I have seen many BJJ expos that look just as coreographed as those. I believe there was even one of the gracies.

Realize that everyone puts effort into their martial art. I do agree there are scams and con artists, but have decency for many other martial artist. You cannot actually attack it until you have tried it yourself.

• jiujitsunoob

Woa, attacking ninjitsu is one thing, but Aikido?

Aikido is partly based on Jujutsu, just as BJJ - only it focuses on standup (think of it as a cross between Judo and BJJ). A lot of the ideas are the same - centralization, not fighting strength with strength. The arm locks are very similar to BJJ. Obviously, no one martial art will make you a complete fighter - aikido and BJJ would actually make for a great combination.

Like I was saying I have yet to see a "real" fight with Akido where the Akido guy wins. I could just be under educated but as jack was saying I wouldn't be sticking my arms out rushing anyone with such bad posture I would close like I do in my Muay Thai classes which is not sticking my arms straight out with my weight forward just screaming grab my arm and throw me to the ground.

All the demonstrations I've seen are highly choreographed - looks good but how practical in a real fight?

• jiujitsunoob
    Honestly I agree BJJ is a great martial art. It's effective, but so is boxing? Many a time have we seen strikers laying out bjj guys. I don't know why people on this forum seem so hellbent on how much better BJJ is than any other martial art.

Because boxing alone is not enough to stop a BJJ guy as was demonstrated in the first 4 UFC's. A Pure fighter from most (was about to say any but Judo that would be too inclusive) martial arts would be unable to stop the fight from going to the ground and once it does the BJJ guy is going to win the vast majority of the time.

Yes it works, but at the sime time there are people who practice martial arts for other reasons than beating each other up.

Because it's a Martial as in a combative Art - if the combat part of your art is crap in a real situation then call what you do something other than a Martial Art. Yoga comes to mind My Muay Thai instructor swears by Yoga for the betterment of your mind and body.

Many of those katas you put on videos and laugh at are instructional expos, which I have seen many BJJ expos that look just as coreographed as those. I believe there was even one of the gracies.

Perhaps - I've seen instructional videos on YouTube but I also see lots and lots and lots of grappling tournaments. The Akido demos are chorigraphed and the TDK demo I went to at the local school about 18 months ago was totally non-combat.

Just my observations.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    But no one is bashing boxing, because it works! Sure, a boxer would have a huge problem against a grappler, as proven many times, but no one puts boxing in the same league as Aikido. Boxing actually works. Boxing is practiced at full contact with resisting opponents. A Boxer will KTFO an average joe on the street wih ease. We all know this. Boxing gets props from me because ive seen it work, its proven.

But Aikido? Man, ive goofed around with Aikdo guys before, and to me, it clearly falls into the McDojo league. You gotta admit, some so called "martial arts", emphasis on MARTIAL, are really not martial at all and a good debunking/bashing is well deserved in my opinion.

It pisses me off that so many people are still being fooled today into paying money each month to learn a supposed "martial art" for self defense that will do nothing but make them over confident and get their a** kicked in a real fight. :x

Honestly I agree BJJ is a great martial art. It's effective, but so is boxing? Many a time have we seen strikers laying out bjj guys. I don't know why people on this forum seem so hellbent on how much better BJJ is than any other martial art. Yes it works, but at the sime time there are people who practice martial arts for other reasons than beating each other up. Many of those katas you put on videos and laugh at are instructional expos, which I have seen many BJJ expos that look just as coreographed as those. I believe there was even one of the gracies.

Realize that everyone puts effort into their martial art. I do agree there are scams and con artists, but have decency for many other martial artist. You cannot actually attack it until you have tried it yourself.

• rowandraper
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 644
    If I was that Aikido guy/girl with the long hair and some Karate guy did that to me .... (on the receiving end rather than studying their ineffective art) I'd take him down and mount him and see how he likes my friends GnP.

The force he used was way too excessive for a demonstration. He could quite easily show why Aikido doesn't work. Chump.

Also - my sister does Aikido (or used to) I'm going to drive her into submission to attending the RGA down in London. Hopefully she'll get something that works there.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    I actually thought the force of the kick was ok.

He used a thrust kick meant to push someone back instead of really snapping it for damage. The reason the guy went flying back sooooo much was because his base was so terrible, and didnt react to the kick at all by jumping back a little and moving his base to avoid the energy.

He's lucky he didnt use a kick with intent to damage like a muay thai body would have because he obviously had no idea what to do against a kick except absorb the full force :lol:

• rhythmythyc
    Guys, you really have to know what you're talking about.

It is true that not all martial arts were created equal. Neither were men - but just because your brother weighs 50 pounds less than you doesn't mean he's not a man!

Aikido is best against grabs and other control situations (standing) - such as those moves a bouncer would do on you. Against hand and arm strikes it has some effectiveness (you have to have really good speed to pull some of the aikido moves), and none against kicks. Yes, you heard it right - aikido has no defense against kicks as far as I'm aware. But anybody with any intelligence would just stay out of range of the kicks or dodge/block them ;p

I see it as a good supplement to other martial arts, such as BJJ and TKD. However, alone it's purely a defense martial art, and not a combat sport.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Im sure you can pull something effective from every martial art, but that doesnt mean you should waste your time on it. Ever hear of opportunity cost?

For every hour you spend wasting on aikido, you could have been doing an hour of muay thai, or boxing, or BJJ, or Judo, or wrestling.... you know, stuff that works. These are arts where the vast majority of the moves work, instead of an extreme minority.

Ive seen so many choreographed aikido demonstrations. Its seems like its the only thing they can do. Have you ever seen a video of aikdo practiced against a real opponent that looked anything like aikido???

Its like that video of those two high level kung fu masters that got into a fight. Once the fight gets real, all their extravagent kung fu moves go out the window and they looked like two untrained kids wrestling on the playground, proving what a waste of time kung fu is.

Life is too short to waste your time on stuff that is 95% BS.

• rediska
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,091
    Jack, aikido demonstrations are not choreographed. When you see someone thrown with an aikido technique and the audience applauds, the applause is for both the uke and the nage for performing their parts of the technique well. The word "choreographed" implies deception, while there isn't any present.
    You are not supposed to use aikido in a fight (except for the most intense, hard-core varitey), and the aikido practitioners know this. However...
    Even several months after I quit aikido, my feet were still so light, I was almost dancing as I walked. Hm, I wonder if that would come handy in a fight? Think boxing, avoiding your opponent's punches by constantly stepping out of his range. Then there are all the Ikkyo arm movements, due to which my shoulders are *still* pretty well developed and strong. And after you do a couple hundred Ikkyos, your elbows are going to become way more dangerous than the elbows of an average person, because it's just like doing an Ikkyo technique, you don't even have to think - bam! bam! BAM!
    That's just two examples and there are a lot more of similar indirect benefits, but the point is that you should stop bashing Aikido. True, it's not the martial art for someone who is serious about realistic fighting, because of its none-violent philosophy, among other things, but it does have some self-defense value and it's not worthless.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    You are not supposed to use aikido in a fight (except for the most intense, hard-core varitey), and the aikido practitioners know this.....
    True, it's not the martial art for someone who is serious about realistic fighting....

See, this is what im talking about. The above statements and "Martial Art", do not gel. It fails the "martial" test. We should therefore call aikido "Dance Art" or something.

but it does have some self-defense value and it's not worthless.

Like I said before, the opportunity cost is too high to take a so called martial art where only a minority of techniques have an usefulness. If its not MOSTLY useful, then I think it needs to be called out. I too have wasted many years on uneffective martial arts, and I know it can be hard to let go, but id rather deal with reality. Id gladly trade in my decade of training in stuff like kung fu, karate and TKD for 2 years of muay thai!

We could say Aikido is good for exercise, or its fun, but would I ever send someone to AIkido class to learn to defend themselves?!??! Hell no, complete waste of time, and even counter productive, giving the student a FALSE sense of security and over confidence which could get them into trouble.

And I disagree, about the choreographed. Maybe choreographed is not exactly the right word. How about staged? Or using a "cooperative opponent"? In any case, take any of those Aikdo demo's and replace his opponent who slowly charges him with an arm outreached, with a 6 month BJJ white belt and what would happen?

You would end up with an Aikdo guy on his back fully mounted wondering why his fancing little foot work failed to work.

THATS the big problem I have with these Aikido "demo's". They show unrealistic techniques that ONLY WORK IN DEMO's :roll:

Compare this to Rickson Gracie and Royler Gracie giving a demo at Pride. Obviously choreographed, but the big difference is, you see them using the exact same moves against live resisting opponents. They could nail you with all those moves day in and day out and in fact do this at their schools every day against resisting opponents.

I dont think ive seen a single aikido practitioner pull off multiple aikido moves like you see in their choreographed demo's against an unwanting, resisting opoonent. Not once. That just stinks of pure MA mythology to me. The Aikido guys I sparred with surely couldnt do it.

• GreatBlueBelt
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 196
    Gotta agree with JJ, Aikido is one of the most unrealistic martial arts ive seen. I think your typical highscool scrapper would kill you if thats all you knew. A wrestler for sure. Im gonna do a poll

• rediska
    Lol, Jack, I'm not an Aikido BB, unfortunately, so I can't tell exactly how much a master of Aikido can do. However...

Or using a "cooperative opponent"?

Yeah, Aikido does require a compliant uke. But there is a reason you shouldn't try to resist some of the techniques. You wouldn't try to resist an armbar, if your opponent has got you tight and already started cranking, right? You tap, to avoid having your arm broken. Well, human wrists are pretty fragile, and unless you go along with some of the techniques you will have yours broken sooner or later.

"In any case, take any of those Aikdo demo's and replace his opponent who slowly charges him with an arm outreached, with a 6 month BJJ white belt and what would happen?"

Well, we already had a 6 month BJJ white belt tell us he beat Aikido 5-dans, so your question had been answered. Then again, that white belt already knew a ton of Aikido, so he probably didn't make any stupid mistakes. Jack, if you were to, say, try to unbalance the standing Aikido BB by grabbing at his kimono, you would basically be giving him your arm and the value of learning Aikido would immediatly dawn upon you. Nykios are some of the most effective techniques Aikido has, and they can really hurt. If applied at full force and with speed, I'm sure they can break a wrist quickly and without much effort.

• nokneebarsonmeplease
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 82
    my ju jitsu instructor is also an akido instructor. on day when i came by to pay my bill he was in the middle of an akido class. i waited untill he was done. once finished i ask him about this akido and its practical application.
    he stated " akido is an art, unless you dedicate almost a decade to it,their isno way it will ever be practical self defense. he said for self defense im in the right class. then i asked him what if i dedicated 10yrs to akido could i take a black belt in ju jitsu, he laughed and said" most likly no".he said a purple in ju jitsu could easily take an practicioner of akido with ten yrs experiance.

• Atomicfrog
    I love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I think it's the greatest MA out there and pound for pound, it's one of the most effective. Having said that though, there seems to be an arrogance in the community that other martial arts are not worthy of respect. I don't mean this as a blanket statement, not everyone behaves this way, but I see a lot of BJJ practitioners casting judgment on other arts. If someone challenges the effectiveness of BJJ then by all means, put them in their place, but a true professional doesn't need to go around thumping their chest to prove how superior they are. Actions speak volumes more than words.

I disagree that a Martial Art is worthless if you can't kick beat someone up with it. People practice different styles for many more reasons than self defense. Discipline, fitness, self cultivation, character development, and self confidence are all valid reasons for practicing a martial art and I don't think it is our place to stand back and stare down our noses at others because they do not share our passion.

• vanguard
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 743
    Oddly, I've always had a higher sense of value around Aikido than most of the other martial arts. I kind of put it near judo. We had a couple of Aikido guys in my school and they always have wrist cranks to add to moves that actually make them harder to deal with.

• Tallmark
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 150
    You might want to check out "Beverly Hills Ninja" with the late Chris Farley. This will give you some insider info on this deadly cult that continues to exist. :mrgreen:

• jackjitsujackjitsu

I disagree that a Martial Art is worthless if you can't kick beat someone up with it. People practice different styles for many more reasons than self defense. Discipline, fitness, self cultivation, character development, and self confidence are all valid reasons for practicing a martial art and I don't think it is our place to stand back and stare down our noses at others because they do not share our passion.

Thats fine, but it doesnt qualify as "martial" then. Seems like a form of false advertising to me. It's also irrelevant to me if they share my passion or not. This is not a "bjj is great, everything else sucks" attitude. This is simply a, im tired of unproven stuff being sold as *martial* arts. Like I said before, you wont catch me bashing judo, boxing, wrestling, sambo, muay thai, etc. Its not a BJJ attitude, its a show me the beef attitude. I have yet to see the beef with Aikido, it doesnt seem to deliver what it promises.

• Atomicfrog

Thats fine, but it doesnt qualify as "martial" then. Seems like a form of false advertising to me. It's also irrelevant to me if they share my passion or not. This is not a "bjj is great, everything else sucks" attitude. This is simply a, im tired of unproven stuff being sold as *martial* arts. Like I said before, you wont catch me bashing judo, boxing, wrestling, sambo, muay thai, etc. Its not a BJJ attitude, its a show me the beef attitude. I have yet to see the beef with Aikido, it doesnt seem to deliver what it promises.

What exactly does Akido promse then? According to Wikipedia, Aikido is described as follows.

Aikido (合気道, aikidō?), translated as "the way of harmonious spirit", is a Japanese martial art developed by Morihei Ueshiba as a synthesis of his martial studies, philosophy, and religious beliefs. Ueshiba's goal was to create an art practitioners could use to defend themselves without injuring their attacker.

Aikido emphasizes joining with an attack and redirecting the attacker's energy, as opposed to meeting force with force, and consists primarily of body throws and joint-locking techniques. In addition to physical fitness and technique, mental training, controlled relaxation, and development of "spirit" (ki) are emphasized in aikido training.

I certainly don't know enough about Aikido or care enough about it to get into a lengthy defense. My point was more towards the general arrogance that some BJJ practitioners seem to have towards other martial arts. And if I were to judge BJJ only on combat effectiveness, I would say it is one of the most effective. However, I still feel strongly that the Martial Arts are not just for self defense. In the case of Aikido, it probably doesn't deliver if you only expect to be able to throw armies of attackers to the mat. But many other benefits can be achieved just the same.

To be fair, after watching some of the Gracie videos showing them trouncing other martial artists, one might be led to believe that they could do the same and overlook the fact that the guys in the video are the elite top of the food chain in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    From your quote:

Ueshiba's goal was to create an art practitioners could use to defend themselves without injuring their attacker.

I dont think it delivers on its promise. I think if your typical kid who takes aikido got into an after school fight with your typical aggressive, wild throwing, bully, he would get killed.

I still dont understand why people keep bringing up the examples of taking a martial art for other reasons.
    But many other benefits can be achieved just the same.

I agree there could be other benefits, but like I said, I dont have a problem with that, my issue is with the term "martial". I just dont think it qualifies, IMO. Its definitely art. Its visually appealing, you may be able to extract a few things from it, but over all, its your typical TMA that got discredited after MMA was born.

I dont think we've wever seen a pro fighter list Aikido as one of his core styles and I doubt we ever will. There is a reason for this.

• herndog
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 142
    Akido rules! :rofl: j/k. Akido sucks imo. I rolled with an Akido BB who was 50 lbs heavier and needless to say, he wished he had spent all of his time training in Akido in something more useful, like wrestling or hey what about this, BJJ. :)

I agree with you jack, to me it just seems to staged and I see it more of a performance art type of thing than a martial arts.

• Locke07
    I agree Akido is not combat worthy. However, it seems that the BJJ community, including this forum, seems to think that they are far superior than any other martial art out there. I know BJJ works, its amazing for real life self defense if practiced that way. Anyone on here in gi only will have a reality check to face when they get in a fight with boxing. I won't say they are going to lose, but they will have problems they have never encountered before.

Even BJJ barrows from other martial arts. How do most people take people down in BJJ competitions you either borrow from wrestling in a double leg or use judo for throws. I can see how a BJJ might get a shocker in a fight when they go up against a person with wrestling knowledge and can't take them down and it becomes a boxing match then what?

I am told all the time that BJJ proved itself as the best pure combative art out there in the first 4 UFC's well, not too many ground experts other than the gracies entered that competition. I agree that BJJ is effective, no one is denying that, but it seems that a large majority of BJJ practitioners have their noses in the air into any other martial art. I can think of one post where the usefulness of Krav was questioned because there are some things you can't practice in full contact. I think anyone who took a week worth of krav could not tell me that it's not effective.

Above all else most of us on these forums are martial artist. Have some respect for the guy next to you.

• jackjitsujackjitsu

I am told all the time that BJJ proved itself as the best pure combative art out there in the first 4 UFC's well, not too many ground experts other than the gracies entered that competition.

Lets see.... Royce beat...

Ken Shamrock - ground fighter - shooto fighter - 60lb weight advantage
    Remco Pardoel - ground fighter - judo - 76lb weight advantage
    Dan Severn - ground fighter - wrestling -75lb weight advantage

Lets give Royce some credit here. Ken was a fricken athletic super athlete and the other guys made him look like a skinny kid.

Above all else most of us on these forums are martial artist. Have some respect for the guy next to you.

Respect should be earned. Im happy for the TMA myth debunking. Been a long time coming.

• vanguard
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 743
    Lets give Royce some credit here. Ken was a fricken athletic super athlete and the other guys made him look like a skinny kid.
    Ken lost 6 of his last 7 fights and it's caused people to think that he sucked. The truth is that he was the man at one point. He beat Bas Rutten twice, which is pretty impressive.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Yeah, who here has beaten Bas twice, or thinks they could??? Raise you hands!

*cricket sounds*

:lol:

• rediska
    Ten years from now, when he is in his fifties and I'm twenty nine I'll take him on! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Locke07
    There are still some speculation to those who were allowed into the UFC. Secondly I still feel as though many people have an air of snobishness about BJJ. I think it doesn't give the martial art credit, just as a lot of people find the myth that BJJ focuses all on guard annoying, I don't want it to become an art with an elitest attitude.

I have explained how even BJJ uses moves from other martial arts. As I have said we are all together. Even those who practice TKD in my opinion have a valuable martial art to defend themselves. The "McDojo" attitude is result of greed and the people that involve themselves into the art and sport, not the teachings or technique.

• Zending
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 934
    I dunno, I've fought boxers, Muay Thai boxers, TKD practitioners with BJJ, never seemed to really have a problem. The MT guys were probably the most dangerous, but BJJ has never done me wrong. You only have to change up your game plan amd take-down plans a little bit. I wouldn't say I have my nose in the air to other martial arts, as I use them in my overall arsenal as well. However, I think that BJJ is probably the, hands down, most effective over-all art to practice out there. But at the same time, I don't think it's the ONLY art one should practice out there either. Each martial art has something to offer to a different crowd. It's all personal preference really. However, I wouldn't reccomend bring an art like Aikido or Tai Chi into the MMA arena. Otherwise it's gonna be a real short career.

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Ever meet some hard core Korean TKD guys?

Would you say they have a snobish aura about them because they swear TKD is the best MA around?

Or would you call it PRIDE?

There are still some speculation to those who were allowed into the UFC. Secondly I still feel as though many people have an air of snobishness about BJJ. I think it doesn't give the martial art credit, just as a lot of people find the myth that BJJ focuses all on guard annoying, I don't want it to become an art with an elitest attitude.

I have explained how even BJJ uses moves from other martial arts. As I have said we are all together. Even those who practice TKD in my opinion have a valuable martial art to defend themselves. The "McDojo" attitude is result of greed and the people that involve themselves into the art and sport, not the teachings or technique.

• Locke07
    I am saying there is a difference between pride and being disrespectful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion