Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

Have you trained knife defense like this?

jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
edited March 16 in Jiu Jitsu Discussion
Because if you haven't, you HAVEN'T TRAINED KNIFE DEFENSE AT ALL  ;-)

I did this with black markers over two decades ago. Eye opening.

Comments

• Tyharris14Tyharris14 Posts: 3,418
    Yeah...I'm not particularly interested in knife defense but every once in a while I get roped into doing that by some of my friends
  • gjj4lifegjj4life Posts: 303
    I love that getting "stabbed" actually has a consequence.
  • rediskarediska Posts: 1,265
    Informative as hell...
  • EricEric Posts: 873
    edited March 17
    I was stabbed with a kitchen steak knife when I was 19. It is no joke! @JackJitsu look up John Simons and Odyssey MMA. He is the head coach and also a black belt under Dave Camarillo. Located on the East Coast.
  • jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    Knife wounds, are overall, roughly half as lethal as gun shot wounds.
    Not something to take lightly.

edited March 17
    jackjitsu said:

Knife wounds, are overall, roughly half as lethal as gun shot wounds.

Not something to take lightly.

The interesting thing is that I didnt even know I had been cut until 10 minutes later. Luckily the person didnt know what they were doing so I was fine.

The reason I brought up Odyssey MMA is that who created this video.
  • jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    There is a video out there I saw a while ago with an experiment using cops.
    They tell cops to enter a room and deal with a suspect. No other info given.
    The suspect is hiding a knife and attacks the cops randomly after chatting a bit.

A huuuuuuge percentage of cops were completely unaware there was a knife at all, until they were told they had been stabbed numerous times during the scuffle and didnt even realize it.

edited March 17
    jackjitsu said:

There is a video out there I saw a while ago with an experiment using cops.

They tell cops to enter a room and deal with a suspect. No other info given.
    The suspect is hiding a knife and attacks the cops randomly after chatting a bit.

A huuuuuuge percentage of cops were completely unaware there was a knife at all, until they were told they had been stabbed numerous times during the scuffle and didnt even realize it.

I believe it. Adrenaline and shock are interesting to say the least. In my opinion I am far more concerned about knives than firearms, as they are far more accessible and easier to conceal. I now only carry around a tacitical flashlight. I used to carry a knife but stopped.
  • stevebuyshousesstevebuyshouses Posts: 5,738
    Imo knives are much deadlier in application of self defense than guns and of course less conspicuous. An alarmingly high percentage of guns wind up being used against the owner and a high percentage of owners of guns barely train with them or shoot them often enough to hit a moving target.
    @stevebuyshouses precicely which is why I stopped carrying leathal weapons. People want to carry a gun but hardly any take the time to learn how to deploy them safely.

a
  • bma_matbma_mat Posts: 11,964
    I've been thinking lately to buy a tactical flashlight. What brand/models you like?
    bma_mat said:

I've been thinking lately to buy a tactical flashlight. What brand/models you like?

Honestly I do not have a lot of experience with tactical flashlights. I just happened to find this one as I was walking by. It's perfect! Lightweight, runs on one AA battery. Has strobe feature. Wear it on my right hip cant even tell its there.