Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

Game style

I have been trying to learn Jiu jitsu from the past one year. I live in India so there's no formal Jiu jitsu school out here. I know a few guards and submissions. I have observed that since the last few weeks my game has dropped, the people I used to control or submit earlier now are often able to pass my guard, this is frustrating me.
Ps: I have this obsession to learn to play from the guard and aim for technique and not power, a few of my rolling partners are muscled up and often throw me around. I myself am a 190 lb 6 ft 2 inch person but I have strength next to zero. Can anyone please help me out with what to do. Should I roll more or drill more.

Comments

• Yes.. Lol
    Drill specifics and positional spar ie start in a position and work out or to sweep etc and when you accomplish that start over. Repetition builds your skill set in bjj quickly.
    Thanked by 1Amazingpaper738
  • Have you formed some sort of jiu jitsu club? If you have a regular group you roll with my suggestion would be to get together with the core group and come to an agreement to worry less about being competitive or winning/loosing and worry more about getting better. If you don't have anyone designated as the instructor you can use video tutorials as your base. If as a group you focus on learning new techniques, drilling basic jiu jitsu movements and techniques, as well as positional sparring you will all learn at a quicker pace than you would just getting together and rolling. 
  • Rolling with bigger stronger guys I think positional rolling is a great way to learn and becoming efficient with your frames to keep their weight away from you is a big key.
  • rediskarediska Posts: 1,265
    Someone needs a hug.
    Lol, reading posts like this makes me wanna be a few years younger, again.

As for drilling vs rolling... You should drill your escapes more than anything else. Jiujitsu is the art of escaping bad poisitions AND/OR putting your opponent into bad positions.
  • Tough position with no schools.  I would encourage you to formalize a club, get good mats etc. and use online inspiration for things to work with.  Grapplersguide, MG online, Gracie University/Garage whatever.   You can also look to see if Blackbelt from out of area can come give you seminar every so often.  

Where in India are you?  
  • Tough position with no schools.  I would encourage you to formalize a club, get good mats etc. and use online inspiration for things to work with.  Grapplersguide, MG online, Gracie University/Garage whatever.   You can also look to see if Blackbelt from out of area can come give you seminar every so often.  

Where in India are you?  
    Yes we have a coach who's a blue belt and he has started bringing in black belts from gb. We are located in Mumbai.
  • Have you formed some sort of jiu jitsu club? If you have a regular group you roll with my suggestion would be to get together with the core group and come to an agreement to worry less about being competitive or winning/loosing and worry more about getting better. If you don't have anyone designated as the instructor you can use video tutorials as your base. If as a group you focus on learning new techniques, drilling basic jiu jitsu movements and techniques, as well as positional sparring you will all learn at a quicker pace than you would just getting together and rolling. 

Yes we have started to implement with what you advised.

Thanks a lot. I have one more question though, whenever Rolling against someone bigger and stronger should I be submission oriented or should I try to keep them in guard? Often from the guard when I try to shoot a triangle or a Scissor sweep. They often crush or throw me aside to pass my guard, when I reciprocate we often end up in the half guard. In the half guard, I go all defensive as to not let him come to mount. Should I change this? If yes could you please help

• jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    Against bigger opponents, you should try to sweep and get on top, THEN submit.

Submissions from the bottom can be very difficult for the reason you stated.  It gives them an opportunity to smash and pass your guard.

I only submit BIG guys from the bottom when they give me a high probability opportunity.  

• jackjitsu said:

Against bigger opponents, you should try to sweep and get on top, THEN submit.

Submissions from the bottom can be very difficult for the reason you stated.  It gives them an opportunity to smash and pass your guard.

I only submit BIG guys from the bottom when they give me a high probability opportunity.  

Hi @jackjitsu I have been trying to do positional rolling lately but due to the informal teaching process most of my training partners tend to get too resistive and serious during this time and go for submissions or high amount of pressure be it knee on belly or throwing you around to pass your guard. Is that okay or should I stop rolling with them them completely and focus on drills
  • GirafaGirafa Posts: 1,231
    Iron sharpens iron. Drills are good and all but You can't drill grit. No matter what people say you need toughness in jiu jitsu. Think of smart ways to deal with the techniques of your training partners and experiment.
    That said if you don't feel safe don't roll with those guys.
  • jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    edited February 26
    Im not big on drilling.  Live rolling and positional sparring is where the magic happens.

• bma_matbma_mat Posts: 11,964
    I never drill. Grab someone worse than me, do live roll, and practice what I wanna practice against them.
  • I kinda agree. I think its extremely helpful to drill the move and understand the basic mechanics and what you're supposed to do - but you don't truly understand how to use it until you learn how to do in when rolling
  • jthomas1600jthomas1600 Posts: 555
    edited February 28
    I've always been of the mind that there are three basic ways to learn and refine techniques:

Drilling with minimal resistance. This is ideal for very new students and or for students who are still committing basic jiu jitsu movements and concepts to muscle memory. At this point they're still learning how to learn jiu jitsu.

Positional sparring with specific goals in mind i.e. from closed guard one student is trying to pass and the other is trying to sweep or submit. Once one student accomplishes one of these goals there is a reset to closed guard. This creates a "live" yet controlled environment to work on specific techniques.

Full training/free rolling. This can be a challenging environment for newer students who can't get the fight where they want it but is best for advanced students who are already thinking multiple moves ahead and have options from all positions. 

I wear a purple belt, but am definitely still at the point where I see the most improvement from positional sparring. I'm thinking the OP is a little over a year into his training so a combination of drilling and positional sparring may be the most helpful with improving his guard retention and bjj in general. 

Also to the OP. I just read your post again and you said "my game has dropped in the last few weeks..... people are often able to pass my guard...." there will be ups and down in your progress as well as the progress of your training partners. It's like lead changes in a basketball game, sometimes one teams up...sometimes the other.
  • I've always been of the mind that there are three basic ways to learn and refine techniques:

Drilling with minimal resistance. This is ideal for very new students and or for students who are still committing basic jiu jitsu movements and concepts to muscle memory. At this point they're still learning how to learn jiu jitsu.

Positional sparring with specific goals in mind i.e. from closed guard one student is trying to pass and the other is trying to sweep or submit. Once one student accomplishes one of these goals there is a reset to closed guard. This creates a "live" yet controlled environment to work on specific techniques.

Full training/free rolling. This can be a challenging environment for newer students who can't get the fight where they want it but is best for advanced students who are already thinking multiple moves ahead and have options from all positions. 

I wear a purple belt, but am definitely still at the point where I see the most improvement from positional sparring. I'm thinking the OP is a little over a year into his training so a combination of drilling and positional sparring may be the most helpful with improving his guard retention and bjj in general. 

Also to the OP. I just read your post again and you said "my game has dropped in the last few weeks..... people are often able to pass my guard...." there will be ups and down in your progress as well as the progress of your training partners. It's like lead changes in a basketball game, sometimes one teams up...sometimes the other.
    Thank you very much. I'll work on it