Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

BJJ Diet

This has probably been done to death on here (I'm sorry) but as someone who is still relatively new to BJJ and trying to shed weight / tone up while training, what kind of diet would people recommend?

I've always been awful with food (I don't eat too much or obviously bad stuff, but I don't really 'get' what works - never have done) so I'm not sure what is appropriate to keep my energy levels to train safely, but also to shed weight.

If this has been posted previously and someone has a link to the thread, please feel free to shut this thread down and point me in the right direction, but any kind of advice here would be appreciated. Just trying to train harder and harder and get healthier and healthier.

Cheers

Comments

• bma_matbma_mat Posts: 11,964
    Lowering carbs to lowest possible has always been my go to for shedding bodyfat.
  • scotty2dogsscotty2dogs Posts: 334
    edited February 23

Have been doing a "no processed foods," meal plan. Takes a bit of preparation making everything from scratch but makes a HUGE difference to how I feel and am losing weight by looking at portion size as well.

I have reduced carb intake as well and try and get carbs via sweet potatoes and vegetables, not too many from fruit.

Saying this, when I train I take a electrolyte/sports drink that's made from fruit (not processed sugar) but I find that as long as I take this purely during training and solely for training it means that my training isn't hindered by the rest of my "diet."

One change I've made is to eat more white fish and less meat although this recipe is amazing!!

http://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-mash-20140625-3assb

Have been doing a "no processed foods," meal plan. Takes a bit of preparation making everything from scratch but makes a HUGE difference to how I feel and am losing weight by looking at portion size as well.

I have reduced carb intake as well and try and get carbs via sweet potatoes and vegetables, not too many from fruit.

Saying this, when I train I take a electrolyte/sports drink that's made from fruit (not processed sugar) but I find that as long as I take this purely during training and solely for training it means that my training isn't hindered by the rest of my "diet."

One change I've made is to eat more white fish and less meat although this recipe is amazing!!

http://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-mash-20140625-3assb

I'm making that next week. Recipe looks great
  • jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    edited March 3
    Eat real whole foods and nothing processed.  

Cut your carbs way down.  Carbs should mostly come in the form of vegetables and a tiny bit of fruit thats it.

If it comes in a bag/box, dont eat it, its processed.
    If it has high fructose corn syrup add to it, dont eat it, its processed.
    If it has food coloring and preservatives, dont eat it, its processed.
    Is it pasta? Dont eat it, its processed.

All refined carbs, basically go right out the window.

The paleo diet is popular and works because its a short cut to remembering these rules.
    Did a cavemen eat this?  NO?? Then dont eat it. Simple rule.

Its an expensive diet though, because its full of real, whole, zero processed, foods.
    All kinds of meats, veggies, nuts, etc.  

No bread, cupcakes, pizza, soda, or anything processed.

Pretty much only allowed to shop the outer rim of a grocery store, where stuff is in its natural form and doesnt come preprocessed in a bag.

If thats too hard to follow, at the very least follow the ZERO refined carb rules.
    Dont eat anything that has corn syrup in it (90% of shit these days), or any kind of added sugar.
    No sodas, no juice, no sweet drinks period.  Coconut water is a go. ;-)
    Avoid bread, rice, potatoes and super starchy stuff.

Go higher fat and moderate protein, and get those carbs way down.  Americans probably eat 500%+ more carbs than they need. 

Nothing wrong with carbs, but they are bad in excess and most people eat them in excess.
  • squintssquints Posts: 12

Watch Derek Weida's video on eating right.  Entertaining and makes eating right pretty simple.  Might be a cussword or two in there.  Haven't watched it in a while. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGee4kQHEY

• MrSteveMrSteve Posts: 43
    This is all extremely useful (if not slightly disappointing that no one said "yeah, Kebabs and Pizza are absolutely sound")  :lol:

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. Someone told me recently that the 'little and often' principle is completely redundant and counter-productive for any form of combat / mma training. Is that correct? Anyone know?
    MrSteve said:

This is all extremely useful (if not slightly disappointing that no one said "yeah, Kebabs and Pizza are absolutely sound")  :lol:

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated. Someone told me recently that the 'little and often' principle is completely redundant and counter-productive for any form of combat / mma training. Is that correct? Anyone know?
    I've never felt results from little and often. I think it's only useful if you're eating like 8000+ calories a day and prefer to do it in 8+ portions of <1k calories... Very hard to eat 3k+ calories in one sitting, multiple times a day.
    14099659_1432942223388608_295671226_n
  • takethebacktaketheback Posts: 50
    Don't worry about your sister. She might be on low carbs but I make sure she gets plenty good protein every night.
  • irishman301irishman301 Posts: 629
    edited March 8
    Look into "IIFYM", that is the diet philosophy that I follow every time I want to shed body fat.

I just got done doing a 20 lb cut over 4 months to help me prepare for this upcoming tournament that I'm going to be entering into.

My energy levels are great, and I didn't need to restrict myself from eating any particular foods.
    Low carb is great for me. I did Powerlifting and around 8 months ago decided to stop, I was way too big at 265 pounds, even though it was mostly muscle.

Half a year of low carb and I'm 210 and feeling great.

Nothing wrong with going low carb or switching to a "cleaner diet" such as Paleo.

However, if you want to have complete control over your weight loss, energy levels, and body composition (losing fat vs. losing muscle), then you will want to keep track of your calories as well as making sure to get sufficient protein. It's much easier then you might think once you get into the habit of doing it.

So long as you track your calories and protein, any diet plan will work.
    I dont track calories, but dropping fat comes easy. 
    Just a little bit of discipline.

I love the old school Okinawan cultural rule.  You never EVER eat until FULL.  You eat until just barely satisfied, 80% full.  Eating past what your body needs is exactly when it starts storing fat.  So never do that.

Then I simply cut refined carbs out of my diet.

In other words, I never over eat at a meal, and garbage carbs go out the window.  Got my six pack back in a few weeks, getting ready for boat season :D

However, I am NOT that guy that can simply look at a single grain of rice and gain 5lb like some people LOLOLOLOLOL.  Im really not sensitive to carbs in the first place so these easy changes have a big effect on me pretty fast.

edited March 8
    You see, I am one of those people that holds onto fat very easily. I spent 5 years as a flabby guy who trained BJJ hard 5 days/week and strength trained with weights 3 days/week...rarely did I have an off day.
    Plus, I don't have that "ok time to stop eating now, because you are 80% full" response in my body. I'll just keep eating!

So for a person like me, tracking calories/protein is the only way that I can successfully lose weight (specifically fat).

"Low carb" is also implicit in my cutting diet as well, because I get about 180 grams of protein every day (which accounts for almost half of my total calories), and 70 grams of fat per day...since my calorie limit currently is 1900 calories per day, there's not much room for carbs in there.

The most important thing, no matter what diet plan you choose, is - actually sticking to your diet plan!
  • BearUMbowlOHBearUMbowlOH Posts: 1,215

Don't worry about your sister. She might be on low carbs but I make sure she gets plenty good protein every night.

gold jerry!!

living up to his name, too.