Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

Ten Year Anniversary WOOT!

Hey everyone, just super stoked to say I've been on the mats for ten years. I started BJJ as a teen (16) and worked for Grapplers Quest in high school. This sport has brought me hundreds of friends, dozens of amazing memories, confidence, love, health and most of all FUN! There are some OG's out there who have been training much longer but ten years for me is my entire adult life (26 now). Looking forward to the next ten!

How long has everyone been training?

Comments

• jthomas1600jthomas1600 Posts: 555
    Congratulations. That's almost half you life.

I started when I was about 37, rolled for a year and then quit due to a move and change in occupation. Started back up when I was 44 and have been back at it for the last 6 years. 
  • Tyharris14Tyharris14 Posts: 3,418
    I've been doing it about 5 and a half years now (although 4 of those years I was only training at college, all summer off)
  • GirafaGirafa Posts: 1,231
    Started judo at age 6 went into mma and grappling around age 21 did a little aikido and karate somewhere. Started bjj at age 25. Now 31 years old and still loving it.
  • Nine years in a couple of months
  • jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    Soooo lucky to start so young. Wasnt even around when I was a kid.
    Started at 36.... 12 years later, still going at it :)

• underdogunderdog Posts: 142
    jackjitsu said:

Soooo lucky to start so young. Wasnt even around when I was a kid.

Started at 36.... 12 years later, still going at it :)

I was a karate kid first lol!
  • JitsTatJitsTat Posts: 29
    That's awesome! Happy Anniversary. I'm only 5 months into my journey but I'm fully hooked and train about 10 hours each week. I wish i had found this sport earlier in life.
  • 14yrs and counting...wish I would have started sooner.  51 now and some things are getting harder due to age.
  • judofunk112judofunk112 Posts: 357
    Started Judo in 2005 and and later Bjj in 2009 or so.  Life keeps getting in the way, but I won't stop. 
  • nathan barleynathan barley Posts: 1,714
    I started Bjj at 26, nearly 7 years ago. I also did about 5 years of moderately competitive judo as a kid and have trained judo on and off concurrently with Bjj.  
  • scifigalscifigal Posts: 1,941
    Congrats! I am at the 6+ year mark. This summer will be 7 years. I started just before I turned 34.
  • jiujitsunoobjiujitsunoob Posts: 3,274
    Also just passed my 10 year mark, working on year 11 now, will complete it around this time next year.  I actually don't have an exact date when I started but it was shortly before I turned 40 and I'm about to turn 50 so it's easy to get the approximate dates correct.
  • BJJMark95BJJMark95 Posts: 2,027
    damn... My 10 year mark is April 1st.. We is old...  :roll:

But not nearly as old as Jack! 

:dance:
  • LDS3LDS3 Posts: 71
    congrats. I'm somewhere between 4-5 trying to get where you are.
  • BirdmanBirdman Posts: 414
    Congrats on your journey.

I'm about 6 months shy of my 10 year mark training on and off . Mainly more off time but i hit the mats whenever i get the chance.

I always kick my self in the butt (the wife does too) for not staying consistent with training but honestly life gets in the way.
  • EricEric Posts: 873
    edited March 15
    underdog said:

Hey everyone, just super stoked to say I've been on the mats for ten years. I started BJJ as a teen (16) and worked for Grapplers Quest in high school. This sport has brought me hundreds of friends, dozens of amazing memories, confidence, love, health and most of all FUN! There are some OG's out there who have been training much longer but ten years for me is my entire adult life (26 now). Looking forward to the next ten!

How long has everyone been training?
    Started Judo at 19. Am 33 now. Bjj came around age 24. Have been involved in the combative arts since age 5.