Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

Seeking real feedback re: uncomfortable topic

scifigalscifigal Posts: 1,941
edited February 2013 in Jiu Jitsu Discussion
Question for guys or gals: if a your female partner were in class on her period and you got some menstrual blood on you, what would your reaction be? Example: would you feel really grossed out, feel neutral about it, feel bad for her, etc.

Question for women: if you have breast tenderness during your period, how have you dealt with this in class? Example: does wearing two bras help? Do you not feel the pain in class? I've not really experienced much breast tenderness in the past 5 years, so I don't feel qualified to comment on it.

I'm writing a resource article about women's periods in BJJ, since it's a topic that does get brought up, and there's not really a single article collecting all the information.

Please note that I WILL be linking to this forum post, so if you'd rather PM me privately, that would be very cool. I'd rather have real feedback rather than a totally politically correct answer. However, please use words rather than emoticons.

UPDATE! Here's the link: http://jiujiubjj.com/2013/02/26/women-and-bjj-periods/

I know for me, if a woman bled on me it would be no different than if a dude smashed his upper lip on his gums and bled on me - but I would discreetly let her know so that she could clean herself up.

Comments

• jakemjakem Posts: 13
    meh the blood... have had plenty of blood on me... dont really care which orifice or laceration it came from... it is a contact sport, training time so some incidents are expected.
    just my 1/2 cent
  • stillwatersstillwaters Posts: 1,292
    meh the blood... have had plenty of blood on me... dont really care which orifice or laceration it came from... it is a contact sport, training time so some incidents are expected.
    just my 1/2 cent
    Whoa...didn't expect that level of objectivity.

Breast tenderness...extra incentive to stay out of bottom side. Never used turtle shells but I imagine they might help some.
  • bsenkabsenka Posts: 890
    Getting the blood on me would not bother me at all. Bringing it to the woman's attention if she had not noticed yet might make me nervous though.
  • I'll be honest, I wouldn't be thrilled about the blood, but realistically it would probably go something like this:

* I notice blood on my gi*
    Me: "Hey, one of us is bleeding"
    *I immediately start checking myself and find I am not bleeding*
    Me: "It's not me...oh, it's you....oh....it's...you"

At which point I would probably get embarassed, and she might as well, and I would probably try to be discreet about it for everybody's sake.

And than like a year later I'd probably bring it up as a joke if I thought she'd be cool with that.
  • SavageKitsuneSavageKitsune Posts: 1,623
    edited February 2013
    If it was a teammate, I'd be a bit embarrassed for her sake, and I'd definitely be discreet. I'd walk right on her heels to the locker room so nobody else would see.

If it was me doing the leaking, I'd probably die from embarrassment on the spot (ha ha). I am careful to take measures before class to avoid anything like that.

Breast tenderness- I wear really crushing compression sport bras that mold my chest into a flat uniboob. Even so, during certain times of the month it can be wincingly painful to run laps, do jumping jacks, or (Rickson forfend) burpees (I am largely endowed). If running laps makes tears of pain come to my eyes, I try to remember to take an ibuprofin or something for the next few days before class.

I tend to compartmentalize any sort of pain while I'm sparring, so I don't notice it much there, and don't really do anything different- but it is kinda ouchie now and then.
  • Menstrual blood leaking out on your partners? Meh. I choked a guy across the throat on accident one time and he threw up all over the place. And there are videos of people shitting / pissing their pants after being rendered unconscious. So which is worse, getting a little spot of blood on your sleeve? Or someone's have digested vomit / stool all down the front of your chest?

For me personally; rolling with someone in a dirty-ass gi ( or an unwashed belt (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ) is significantly worse than getting some blood on you. The fact that it's coming from an "unconventional" ( and I use that term loosely ) place really doesn't make a difference. I could see how that could be particularly embarrassing for a female to deal with however. Especially if the person on the receiving end was immature or uneducated about it.

Which by the way; I think it's ridiculous that people are so damn bothered by menstruation. Did you know that in biblical times men weren't allowed to sleep in the same room as a women who had their period because they were considered "unclean"? I think some of that bs has carried over into modern times and created a sort of phobia about a completely natural process. It's just a little blood, and it's just a vagina. It's really not that scary at all compared to some of the other fluids the body can produce. Just sayin'

And just to clarify: No, I would prefer that absolutely No blood from any source be leaked out onto me. I lack any respectable laundering skills and have never figured out how to get the stains entirely out.
  • Tyharris14Tyharris14 Posts: 3,418
    I'm going to have to agree that blood's blood. It's not like they intend it any more than someone with a cut or bloody nose. I'd definitely prefer it to like someone peeing themselves or something like that lol. Or throwing up.
  • Well, menstrual fluid is a bit more icky seeming than freshly shed blood what with it being composed of a number of other fluids and discarded tissue, some of which may not be so fresh. I'm not sure whether menstrual fluid is more or less likely to be a vector for bodily fluid born infection than normal blood, but I would probably be less cool with getting menstrual fluid on me than normal blood (for reasons unrelated to possible contamination). Not that I'd blame the other person of course, any more than I'd blame someone throwing up on me, but if I get a small amount of blood on me in training I barely register it, whereas if I got someone's vom on me I'd stop rolling to deal with it, and would probably have to wash my gi before training in it again.

I think there's an interesting comparison to be made with urine. Since urine comes out of the body sterile (unlike vomit, blood and faeces), it would be perfectly safe to train with a partner in a freshly piss soaked gi. Most people would probably find it a bit gross though. I guess for me the system is:

Blood: Unless there's loads of it barely notice. If there's a significant amount probably best to stop training due to risk of blood born disease.

Faeces/Vomit: Stop training immediately, even if only a very small amount. Wash gi before wearing it again.

Menstrual fluid/urine: Somewhere in between. If there's so little that it's almost indistinguishable from blood/sweat respectively then don't worry about it. More than that and I might start considering changing.

I think in most cases my partner would likely be embarrassed as hell about it, so tact would be the order of the day whatever my own personal feelings about any of the fluids.

As a side note, I think it it would be pretty hard to distinguish menstrual fluid from blood unless there was so much that it was forming a visible stain around the crotch area. That amount of fluid would probably count as something that should be dealt with even if it were ordinary blood.
  • scifigalscifigal Posts: 1,941
    Menstrual blood leaking out on your partners? Meh. I choked a guy across the throat on accident one time and he threw up all over the place.
    Okay that made me laugh out loud at work.
  • It really wouldn't bother me. With all the sweat and sometimes bloid (both others and mine) and everything else that goes back and forth it's not a big deal. Maybe if I was still young and living on my own it would bother me but I've lived with women for 20 years or so and you grow accustomed to it. I would let her know and hope for the best. I wouldn't want to be the guy that let a situation continue when I could change it.
  • billiniraqbilliniraq Posts: 2,163
    Maybe I'm the a-hole here. But menstral blood would be a bit uncomfortable for me. Not because of where it came from, but because of the obvious embarassment it would likely cause the woman. It's kind of like when someone poops their pants. How do you hide that?

My suggestion to women who feel this may/could happen would be to have a second set of pants for that type of situation.

So I wouldn't be grossed out as much as a little embarassed.
  • aiseopaiseop Posts: 3,353
    For me personally; rolling with someone in a dirty-ass gi is significantly worse than getting some blood on you.
    This.

Because this happens all the time and - I'm sure - cause more infections than a partner bleeding on your gi. Personally, I don't remember having blood on me - but on my gi all the time! Especially from pimply teenagers whose pimples bust on my sleeve. lol

It's all good. A simple, I got blood, am I bleeding, let's both check will suffice.

Osu
  • bma_matbma_mat Posts: 11,964
    I'd be a bit grossed out. Wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but not my cup of tea.
  • Blood is not the issue, it's wear it's coming from. I'd imagine a similar reaction to Jonah Hill in the movie SuperBad. Just wear a black gi, no one will be any the wiser...
  • I have a sick sense of humor (prior military=sadistic humor) so I "might" bust out laughing, hopefully not, but I would seriously tell the training partner its fine, wash off, back to training.
  • parabellumparabellum Posts: 4,236
    I end up scrubbing blood out of my Gi on the regular, I wouldn't be bothered by it at all.

I understand it would be embarrassing for the woman involved, but it would not be an issue for me, nor would I react with any great surprise.

Stinky Gi Guy grosses me out about 1000000000x more than some blood, regardless of the origin of the blood.
  • I wear something similar to turtle shells all the time because it got to the point I couldn't sleep at night from the pain. I also got an unintentional mammogram when a larger training partner kneeled on my breast, pinning it to the mat. Ow. Once was enough for that deal.
  • waterrobwaterrob Posts: 220
    I'd be less concerned about the blood, and be more concerned about how to tactfully bring it up. Scrubbing blood out of my gi with hydrogen peroxide is a weekly ritual.
  • Not a big deal. It's blood. It's gonna happen at some point in most BJJ schools just like vomit, pee, poop and farts.

For me worst situation was when I had a guy in guard and saw that he had a MASSIVE booger hanging out. I couldn't help but stare at it. It was like it was it's own entity; like I was grappling the other guy AND his booger. I couldn't help but continue to stare at it dangling there like it was going to attack me. All the while I was silently praying that it didn't fall out on me. It was nasty, long and tapered like a pine cone just barely holding on, dangling there like wasp legs. Then he stood up to perform a standing guard pass on me and that big monster booger dropped like freaking lead balloon and I let go of my guard and rolled out from under him so fast I nearly did a flip. I think I screamed out loud or something. I was so relieved when I saw it on the mat and not on me. Hell even a year later I can't even roll on that part of the mat without looking around closely as if that damn thing was about to jump on me.

So for me boogers are the worst. Blood is hardly even cause for much concern for me.
    :rofl:

lolholyshit lester

:rofl:
  • :roflcat:
  • The blood wouldn't bother me at all, nor would informing the team mate about it. I grew up with a Mom and 2 sisters with no brothers so most "women things" have never bothered me. The biggest thing is I would try to whisper to her to not point it out to everyone, and when she comes out from handling it be sure to get right back to training with her. By avoiding her even if it's with intentions to spare her any embarrassment, I believe that would be worse than just showing her it's no big deal.
  • DylanPDylanP Posts: 359
    I went knee on belly and a guy shat himself. I only notice blood on my gi when it's a ridiculous amount that means someone is actually hurt. I've had to many pimples, wee little cuts, and god knows what else open up during a roll to give a shit anymore.
  • stillwatersstillwaters Posts: 1,292
    The guys on this board (minus a couple) give me hope for the world.
  • The guys on this board (minus a couple) give me hope for the world.
    Me too. I was just thinking this morning that I should comment to Julia that the men on this board are just way, way too cool to be a true representitive sample. :mosh:
    Going off what Lester said, what REALLY REALLY bothers me is sweat or snot going into my mouth. Good lord that freaks me out. Anything else is absolutely fine by comparison lol.
  • lstbredlstbred Posts: 917
    I've been married almost twenty years and have two girls, I'm a professional chef, I've put worse things in my MOUTH.....on purpose :shock: a little mark isnt gonna even faze me. Like others have said letting her know would be the hardest part.
  • We'll be embarrassed, but FOR RICKSON'S SAKE PLEASE TELL US quick before the entire room sees. :shock:
  • So what is the consensus. So I can tell my wife. Wear black pants, and just roll with the flow. Sorry bad pun. But really the only way I would care is if blood got on my face. No matter where it comes from I hate blood on my face. And I would feel really bad for the girl. And I really hope that it would not keep her from training again. I think most guys are cool about this and are thrilled to even have women in the gym no matter the time of the month.
    So what is the consensus. So I can tell my wife. Wear black pants, and just roll with the flow. Sorry bad pun. But really the only way I would care is if blood got on my face. No matter where it comes from I hate blood on my face. And I would feel really bad for the girl. And I really hope that it would not keep her from training again. I think most guys are cool about this and are thrilled to even have women in the gym no matter the time of the month.
    I'll link to the article once I finish writing it up. It'll be next week and cover several areas of information.
    The guys on this board (minus a couple) give me hope for the world.

Me too. I was just thinking this morning that I should comment to Julia that the men on this board are just way, way too cool to be a true representitive sample. :mosh:
    Totally agree. I get anxious when my stuff goes up on Reddit, or The UG or Sherdog. Never here.
    Going off what Lester said, what REALLY REALLY bothers me is sweat or snot going into my mouth. Good lord that freaks me out. Anything else is absolutely fine by comparison lol.
    I *always* take a moment when I get to mount, to wipe my forehead with the sleeve of my Gi, to avoid dripping sweat all on the other guy I have under mount.

I don't know if anyone knows I do that, but the world would be a nicer place to roll in if everyone did that.

I got a big ol sweat droplet in my eye from someone recently and all I could think about was that scene in 28 Days Later when the guy gets a drop of zombie blood in his eye and turns on the spot.

:shock:
  • For me, it would only be a big deal in so much as I know it would make her (the woman in question) feel embarrassed, and I'd feel horrible for her because I know she'd feel embarrassed (more embarrassed than she should), and I'd want to let her know it wasn't a big deal, but probably wouldn't say anything because I wouldn't want to make her feel worse. Objectively, no, it would not bother me.
  • bma_matbma_mat Posts: 11,964

I *always* take a moment when I get to mount, to wipe my forehead with the sleeve of my Gi, to avoid dripping sweat all on the other guy I have under mount.

I don't know if anyone knows I do that, but the world would be a nicer place to roll in if everyone did that.

I got a big ol sweat droplet in my eye from someone recently and all I could think about was that scene in 28 Days Later when the guy gets a drop of zombie blood in his eye and turns on the spot.

:shock:
    Try having a big, sweaty, hairy, flab of man boob rub over your face and not let you breath while being under the North South position of someone who's twice your weight. Ah, white belt memories :)
    Hahaha well, for everybody like me that you roll with, thanks parabellum :)
    Just to give another pov - I wouldn't be horribly embarrassed if I was leaking. Meh - it happens. I don't think it WOULD happen to me. Yeah, it'd be a little embarrassing, but overall I wouldn't care. I'd likely joke about it except that I'd be a bit afraid that the guys would find it very uncomfortable. I wouldn't really care, though.

"It's my lunar defense."

Now if I shit my pants... :shock:

Related to bodily functions - when I was in class on Monday we were all rolling and suddenly part of the mat started clearing out - it was the WORST smelling fart. No one heard it, but my teammate said they should get an award for that because we'd all instantly tap.
  • Lester_BeanLester_Bean Posts: 145
    edited February 2013
    "Lunar Defense"..... that's very good!

Yeah, those protein farts make people's eyes water. I'd have to tap too.

The article sounds really interesting and I look forward to reading it. I can't believe I never thought about it from this specific perspective before, but I guess it goes to show what a selfish bastid I am.

Other than boogers and poop, B.O. in my opinion is much worse than blood, sweat or farts. I was rolling with a guy who stunk to high heavens. I was paranoid that the people I rolled with after him might think it was me. Later on I found out he was washing his gi every other practice. I kid you not. I was relieved when he changed schools.
    Yeah, those protein farts make people's eyes water. I'd have to tap too.

The article sounds really interesting and I look forward to reading it. I can't believe I never thought about it from this specific perspective before, but I guess it goes to show what a selfish bastid I am.

Other than boogers and poop, B.O. in my opinion is much worse than blood, sweat or farts. I was rolling with a guy who stunk to high heavens. I was paranoid that the people I rolled with after him might think it was me. Later on I found out he was washing his gi every other practice. I kid you not. I was relieved when he changed schools.
    Stinky Gi Guy™ is the WORST.

:x
  • Definitely agreed Parabellum!
    Related to bodily functions - when I was in class on Monday we were all rolling and suddenly part of the mat started clearing out - it was the WORST smelling fart. No one heard it, but my teammate said they should get an award for that because we'd all instantly tap.
    LOL. I'm usually the "fart guy" in my class. Not so much because what I eat gives me bad gas, but that I compensate for my bad back by keeping my core are tight as possible -- effectively pushing the farts out as an unintended side-effect. That it always seems to happen when my back end is near my partner's head is pure coincidence!
    I wanted to say thank you to Jack for creating a good space. It brings to mind this article about why it's important to moderate what people say:

http://dashes.com/anil/2011/07/if-your- ... fault.html
  • I wanted to say thank you to Jack for creating a good space. It brings to mind this article about why it's important to moderate what people say:

http://dashes.com/anil/2011/07/if-your- ... fault.html
    Thanks for that article. As a rather random aside, I skimmed the comments and noticed that fairly close to the top was a comment by 'AnnMaria de Mars', who is a former world judo champion and Ronda Rousey's mum. Small world eh?
  • PikachuPikachu Posts: 170
    It's not a big deal but it shouldn't really happen and I'd be pretty pissed/slighty amused at the situation but I'd bite my tongue.

'Keep your period shit together woman' is what I'd be thinking.

Also does this actually happen? Not that many women train at my gym and maybe I'm pretty naive but I'd be a little shocked if a ended a roll and some girl had period all on her gi.

• 'Keep your period s*** together woman' is what I'd be thinking.

Also does this actually happen? Not that many women train at my gym and maybe I'm pretty naive but I'd be a little shocked if a ended a roll and some girl had period all on her gi.
    Yeah, it can happen, and it's not necessarily because of poor hygiene or sloppiness or anything like that.

CAUTION: MAJOR TMI TO FOLLOW. DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EASILY GROSSED OUT OR DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THINGS SUCH AS UTERINE TISSUE AND TAMPONS.

There's a very common condition called endometriosis- it means that the tissue in the uterus that is shed during menstruation grows all out of control. Way too much growth, and in all sorts of bad places. It can even grow like cobweb outside of the uterus and start sticking your internal organs together and pulling them out of place.

One of the many symptoms of this lovely condition is that it often causes a REALLY heavy blood flow. During the first three days of menstruation, I can employ a tampon the size of a Toyota, yet if I don't get to a bathroom with a well-supplied purse in hand every two hours on the dot to break out a new Toyota, problems will result.

Of course we do our best to manage this, but sh!t occasionally happens, like losing track of time.
    It's not a big deal but it shouldn't really happen and I'd be pretty pissed/slighty amused at the situation but I'd bite my tongue.

'Keep your period s*** together woman' is what I'd be thinking.

It could definitely happen - likely either just before she expected her period to start or right after she thought it ended. For example, my period usually lasts exactly 5 days, but on occasion, I'll get extra discharge on the 6th day. I'm very regular, but what that means is that I can estimate the start date within 1-3 days. It's not like the clock on Lost. And agreed with what Kit said - that first day can be extra heavy and there can be...gushing.

A few times, too, I've underestimated my flow and have leaked out. But if I'm about to go to BJJ I would have just emptied my menstrual cup, so the chances of that are extremely slim.

And to be fair, it likely would be "all on her gi" it would likely be the start of a stain setting in. It's thick, not like urine or free flowing blood, so it would basically all goop in the same place, not be free flowing.

Y'all grossed out now?
    My wife has had to deal with issues related to PCOS that can cause those kinds of problems as well. A very common issue for her is not getting periods for months on end, then without warning the flood gates open, and Toyotas plus double pads is rarely enough. It's bad enough that she keeps an extra pair of pants at work just in case.

>>I'm sure my wife would be trilled to hear that I'm sharing such personal info...here's hoping she never reads this site!<<
  • Men should be thanking every deity they can think of, every day, that they are men. :roll:
  • I do not think it is a big deal, I occasionally roll with a women and can smell that it is THAT time of the month. No big deal and certainly not something I would comment about, like the accidental boob or ball grab...either say nothing or a quick oops and move on. Now if the blood was getting on gis and the mat I would definitely say something but discreetly if I realized the source.
  • On the subject of the thread, it wouldn't really bother me any more than the normal blood that I get on me in the course of rolling.

I had another situation pop up a while back and wonder if I handled it in the proper way. I was in class and was doing drills with my partner and we stopped for a second for him to tie his belt. I was watching the two new people in front of me go through the technique (one of them being a 20 something woman) and I noticed that I could basically see her entire ass through her gi pants. She was sweating enough so that the gi pants were basically see through and she was wearing a black thong and nothing else. Not a lot left to the imagination.

I was wreslting with whether I should say anything at all but in the end I thought she might want to know. So after class I went up to her discreetly and just said, hey not to sound like a perv but when you were drilling back there I noticed I could see through your gi pants. I recommended she throw on some compression shorts. She seemed very embarrassed and said she didn't have time to get all her training gear before coming to class that day.

I felt a little bad about saying something but I figured she would want to know. Did I handle it the right way?
    On the subject of the thread, it wouldn't really bother me any more than the normal blood that I get on me in the course of rolling.

I had another situation pop up a while back and wonder if I handled it in the proper way. I was in class and was doing drills with my partner and we stopped for a second for him to tie his belt. I was watching the two new people in front of me go through the technique (one of them being a 20 something woman) and I noticed that I could basically see her entire ass through her gi pants. She was sweating enough so that the gi pants were basically see through and she was wearing a black thong and nothing else. Not a lot left to the imagination.

I was wreslting with whether I should say anything at all but in the end I thought she might want to know. So after class I went up to her discreetly and just said, hey not to sound like a perv but when you were drilling back there I noticed I could see through your gi pants. I recommended she throw on some compression shorts. She seemed very embarrassed and said she didn't have time to get all her training gear before coming to class that day.

I felt a little bad about saying something but I figured she would want to know. Did I handle it the right way?
    I think so! Look at it this way - imagine if you hadn't, and she kept doing it without knowing. Then one day UnsafeGuy comes in and makes a comment to her. She feels terribly embarrassed and possibly gets angry that the dudes she trusted didn't let her know in a nice, polite way.

I think the key is: a moment of embarrassment is MUCH better than the embarrassment of realizing everyone knew for ___ amount of time and had you known you would have done something differently.
  • On the subject of the thread, it wouldn't really bother me any more than the normal blood that I get on me in the course of rolling.

I think so! Look at it this way - imagine if you hadn't, and she kept doing it without knowing. Then one day UnsafeGuy comes in and makes a comment to her. She feels terribly embarrassed and possibly gets angry that the dudes she trusted didn't let her know in a nice, polite way.

I think the key is: a moment of embarrassment is MUCH better than the embarrassment of realizing everyone knew for ___ amount of time and had you known you would have done something differently.
    Cool. Feel better about it now.
  • I'm pretty sure my first reaction would be: "What do I put on it to keep my gi from staining", and "I hope I didn't get any in my mouth". I don't know about you guys, but I'm never excited to roll with a person with blood-stains on their gi. It's not really a good sign, you know?
    I'm pretty sure my first reaction would be: "What do I put on it to keep my gi from staining", and "I hope I didn't get any in my mouth". I don't know about you guys, but I'm never excited to roll with a person with blood-stains on their gi. It's not really a good sign, you know?
    Please believe me - IF she did bleed through her gi she would not continue rolling/be excited to roll with people. She would exist somewhere on the embarrassed scale (from Oh that sucks to I WANT TO DIE NOW) and would go clean herself off or leave class if she didn't have another pair of gi pants. And it's not like it would be in your mouth unless her crotch area was COVERED in blood so much that it was so soaked that it was dripping, so it couldn't get "in" your mouth and the only way it could get on your face is if she'd done some weird north south and managed to sit on your face while her crotch was covered in period blood.

So yeah - not happening.
  • Please believe me - IF she did bleed through her gi she would not continue rolling/be excited to roll with people. She would exist somewhere on the embarrassed scale (from Oh that sucks to I WANT TO DIE NOW) and would go clean herself off or leave class if she didn't have another pair of gi pants. And it's not like it would be in your mouth unless her crotch area was COVERED in blood so much that it was so soaked that it was dripping, so it couldn't get "in" your mouth and the only way it could get on your face is if she'd done some weird north south and managed to sit on your face while her crotch was covered in period blood.

So yeah - not happening.
    Good. I suppose the only concern on my end would be avoiding blood stains, then. Poor women. Your bodies put you through weird inconvenient things.
    Okay - I finished the article! Thank you all VERY MUCH for your input!

http://jiujiubjj.com/2013/02/26/women-and-bjj-periods/
  • Great job on the the article!
  • Accidents are accidents, so long as theyd done everything to prevent it happening, id be cool with it. If it was some fembar going "deal with it" then no, i probably be the opposite of cool.

If it happens it happens, regarding any blood on someone elses gi, you go "sorry" sort it out and get back to rolling.
    Accidents are accidents, so long as theyd done everything to prevent it happening, id be cool with it. If it was some fembar going "deal with it" then no, i probably be the opposite of cool.

If it happens it happens, regarding any blood on someone elses gi, you go "sorry" sort it out and get back to rolling.
    Never heard the term "fembar" before. Not quite sure what it is. However, I do know that if I had an accident and cleaned up, and my teammates continued to be squicked out THEN I'd say "dude, deal with it - I'm a human being!"

I don't know ANY woman who would be covered in period blood, get it on partners, and say DEAL WITH IT and continue rolling. Gah. I would hate that woman, too. If she exists, I certainly don't know her. Oh wait !I think she's a straw feminist! They ARE the greatest boogie men of our time! http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=341
  • I read this article about five minutes after my nine-month-old pooped on me while I was changing her diaper, and your hypothetical situation just didn't register on the squick-meter. After parenthood (babies are cute because they're also gross, it's a defense mechanism), I'm not sure I can really get worked up about a little blood on me, regardless of the source.

And if I'm honest here, I think that -- if I saw some blood on the inside of a lady's pants when we were rolling -- my first thought would be, "Whoa, I think you cut your leg," not that she was employing her lunar defense.
  • Awesome article, Julia! I haven't popped on here in a while due to busy-ness but I wanted to see and hear what everyone was saying about the issue... and once again I am so dang impressed by the maturity level here :)

xoxo
    G
  • What happens if you get period blood on you while rolling? I'm sorry, this sounds like something a child would ask. Silly. Take Superbad off of repeat and go get some fresh air :)
  • As my 2 year old would say, "Ew, yuck!"

Luckily, I've never seen or heard of this happening in class!
    What happens if you get period blood on you while rolling? I'm sorry, this sounds like something a child would ask. Silly. Take Superbad off of repeat and go get some fresh air :)
    K-Town - If you read the actual question it was for my article so that women who were concerned about that could read some reactions. I included a link to this post for my article. For all I know, a child COULD be reading my article - some gal who is 13 and really afraid of that. Or some woman who feels like she might never want to come back if that happens.

Personally, I wouldn't really care. It would register as a 1 or 2 out of 10 on my embarrassed scale, I would clean myself off and come back.

Sometimes there are silly questions, but a) it doesn't mean they shouldn't be asked b) it doesn't mean a new person to this forum should try to shut them up, especially when there has been real contribution, and HELPFUL contribution to this topic/thread.

Sorry to have interrupted your Donnie Darko/Brick/Downtown Abby or whatever other hoity toity show you watch - you can resume watching it now.