Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

Questionable Black Belt in Cary NC (Review of Paredes BJJ)

Veghead211Veghead211 Posts: 76
edited December 2012 in Jiu Jitsu Discussion
Due to the amount of curiosity, I have decided that the easiest way to do this would be to place a thread on the forum where most of the people I know can come and read about my recent visit to a BJJ academy in Cary NC on August 10th, 2012. I have attempted to recall these events as clearly and as accurately as I can.

Me and a friend of mine decided to visit Mo's Shotokan Karate in Cary NC, because of a BJJ Black Belt with questionable experience and credentials began placing rolling and technique videos on the internet. I say questionable because the videos did not display proper technique, or do much in the way of explaining in detail why the technique works. I know first hand how important this is, because my instructor is very clear about why the technique works the way it does. He is also very thorough in explaining to me why the technique won't work if not done properly. It is because of this I place very high standards on anyone who claims to have a Black Belt in BJJ.

Upon arriving at Mo's Shotokan Karate, where their BJJ class starts at 7:30 on Friday, their Karate class was finishing up and most of the children there were packing up to leave. The Karate instructor (forgive me for not remembering his name) introduced himself and was very friendly. He greeted us warmly and assured us that the BJJ class would be starting soon, and directed us to where we could change in the back of the school. Shortly afterward James Parades arrived and introduced himself. Again we were greeted warmly and shook hands with James and explained to him that we were there to check out his BJJ class. I recently have moved back to Raleigh, though I practice BJJ consistently with Billy Dowey in Raleigh, we were curious about who this new BJJ Black Belt was. We were not there to embarrass or humiliate anyone, we were simply there to try a class and to witness firsthand his teaching ability.

Shortly after changing, Mr. Paredes asked us to join him in the office in the back of the school because he wanted to talk to us away from his other students. Transcribing everything he talked about would take far too long, as we were in this small office for nearly half an hour. We all sat on the floor while Mr. Paredes explained that his style was a blend of Kosen Judo and BJJ. He also explained that he placed great weight on the philosophical side of Jiu Jitsu and told us that Jiu Jitsu is a journey and he was there to help guide us in this journey. He told us that it took him 14 years to get his black belt, and that he had spent time living in San Diego but made the commute to Torrance to train there with the Gracies. He never revealed exactly who it was that he trained with, but mostly stated that he started back in 1989 and towards the end of the conversation my friend John clearly asked who it was that gave him his black belt and he quickly moved the conversation onto something else. Mind you the entire time this conversation was happening, Mr. Paredes seemed to be somewhat nervous. I thought the whole experience was somewhat strange, especially that he felt as though he needed to do this away from his other students for some reason. Near the end of our conversation Mr. Paredes urged us not to injure his students and to really take it easily while we rolled. Even though I thought this whole conversation on the floor of an office in the back of the school was unusual, Mr. Paredes did have some good things to say about how Jiu Jitsu can improve a person's mental and physical health.

When this conversation was over, we had to assemble the mats that were going to be used for the Jiu Jitsu class. After we finished assembling the mat, we began our warm up, which mostly consisted of the school blue belt leading the class in some light jogging around the mat and some simple stretching. Mr. Paredes introduced us to the entire class and explained to the other students there that we had experience and that they should learn from us and we should learn from them. I think it is important to note at this point that there was not a single adult in the class. Most of the students looked to be around the ages of 12 to 15 years old. Mr. Paredes explained to us that there are usually more people there and to come back the next day when their purple belt was there so that we would have someone to roll with. He then had everyone in the class pair up and have some rolling, before we have even done any technique or drilling. Even though this is not the norm at any BJJ gym I have been to, Mr. Paredes paired me and my friend John together and said he wanted to watch us roll so he could gauge or experience level. Me and my friend rolled for about two minutes while Mr. Paredes coached us. He was trying to help me escape a inverted triangle I was caught in, but to be honest, I could not make out exactly what it was that he wanted me to do. I was trying to posture and break away from the legs, which is what I have always been taught to do first when trying to escape any triangle, but he was trying to convince me I needed to drive into him and basically try to run around his legs. We stopped rolling shortly afterward and told us that he liked what he had seen and he also commented that he saw where we both could make some improvement and was more than willing to help us correct any mistakes we had made.

On to the technique.

After the short rolling session Mr. Paredes began his technique instruction, which I can say from my experience in practicing Judo with Sensei Shawn Madden and Bill Cabrera at Carolina Judo, along with my years of experience practicing BJJ under Billy Dowey and Jason Culbreth, left me asking many questions. To be as accurate as possible, I have to say that I had a lot of difficulty getting his techniques to work. I had never struggled so much to get someone to tap, and most of the submissions used far to much strength for me to be comfortable using, or ever show anyone else.

He began by showing attacks from Kesa Gatame, a straight arm bar using the legs, and an Ude Garame where you figure four your legs around your opponents arm. The first arm bar did not seem to work unless you had their arm placed perfectly (which almost never happens in live rolling sessions with anyone experienced). I am quite familiar with these attacks from Kesa Gatame, as it is a formidable pin that both my BJJ and Judo instructors use with great success and have their own series of attacks from. None of the finer details of this position were discussed and I noticed that Mr. Paredes also did not use the underhook in this position, which is crucial to prevent your opponent from bridging you over, or scrambling to your back. The second entangled arm lock he showed I did manage to get my partner to tap, as it is a very simple and effective arm lock. However, it is in my experience that these armlocks have a very low success rate on experienced grapplers.

Mr. Paredes then demonstrated the arm in triangle and how to transition to this submission from cross side control. This is where I noticed some very big gaps in how this submission works and Mr. Paredes version, which I tried over and over, did not seem to do anything more than crank my partners neck and make him uncomfortable. It is also in my experience that this will not make any experienced grappler submit, as his version of this submission was more of a crank than a choke that blocks off the carotid arteries. We also did an arm bar from cross side control when then opponent grips you tightly and will not leg to where you spin around to the other side and finish with a cross arm bar. Mr Paredes version of this arm bar finished with you body mostly at an angle where the opponents arm is still left with their thumb pointing at the ground, which makes it difficult to apply pressure with your hips under their elbow and finish the submission. The setup of the position was somewhat effective, but I feel that this submission left way to much room for the person to escape and would again not be tight enough to finish an experienced grappler or someone who was simply strong enough just to jerk their arm out.

Mr. Paredes was very nice to us during the entire visit to his school, but from my own experience I do not have much confidence in the technique that he displayed. I was also a little concerned over some of the comments that were made during the class. At one point, Mr. Paredes commented that he would not take our belts from us, and the he would allow us to wear our rank. He said this in front of the entire class, which I really did not understand. I have never been asked to take my belt off at any school, club, dojo, or academy I have ever been to. He sounded as if he were joking, but most BJJ and Judo practitioners I know would be seriously offended if someone had made a comment about giving up their belt while visiting another school. Mr. Paredes did comment that he knew that we worked hard for our belts, so he would allow us to keep them on. I would also like to point out that I was wearing my Judo rank, and my friend John was wearing his BJJ rank.

Nearing the end of the class my friend John clearly asked out loud if Mr. Paredes would roll with him, something he and I both wanted to do. John and I both welcome with great enthusiasm any chance to roll with a BJJ black belt, even more so if they are of smaller stature (Me and John both have natural weights below 150 lbs. and Mr. Paredes is shorter than both of us). Mr. Paredes was quick to tell John that he does not roll with new students. This came as quite a surprise to me because I almost always have been welcomed with an enthusiastic yes whenever I have asked a BJJ black belt to roll. There was also no free rolling session at the end of the class, which also came as a surprise because this is pretty much the standard protocol for any BJJ class I have attended previously.

The conclusion of the class ended with me and John both thanking him for welcoming us to his school and allowing us to participate. Me and John both respectful bowed out before going to change. We told him that we would like to come back when we would have an opportunity to roll with some of his students, and again shook hands before going home.

In conclusion I can say that Mr. Paredes was very friendly and cordial to us when we arrived, but I drew concerns when he avoided telling us exactly who promoted him to black belt, and who his previous training partners and instructors were. I also asked him towards the end of class if he went to Japan, because as far as I know Kosen Judo does not exist outside of Japan and I have not heard of very many legitimate practitioners of Kosen Judo in the United States. I have read books on the roots of Judo and BJJ as well as the Kosen lineage of Judo, but from what I understand it is extremely rare to meet anyone who has trained with Kosen Judoka. Mr. Paredes explained to me that his style is a blend of Kosen Judo and BJJ, and I am still curious as to who exactly taught him Kosen Judo and who provided him with his rank of black belt in BJJ. This along with what I experienced was technique that I personally struggled to use with success and from what I could tell, was not on par with most other technique I have been taught by other BJJ black belts. I think this raises some serious questions about Mr. Paredes credibility and experience level with BJJ.

I hope that this review helps anyone who is interested in learning from Mr. Paredes or considering joining his school. My intentions were to make a friendly visit to another school, which I have done many times before and provide everyone with an accurate recount of my experience. I do believe however that Mr. Paredes should answer some of the questions about who promoted him to BJJ black belt, and his experience with Kosen Judo.

Comments

• Here is a link to the website for Paredes Jiu Jitsu:
    http://www.moskarate.com/
  • judokammajudokamma Posts: 333
    All I know is I can certainly tell you who gave me what belts and roughly when (across both Judo and BJJ).

In reference to someone taking my belt or implying they could or might etc, I'll quote Charlton Heston, ".....from my cold, dead hands".
  • BlkSumoBlkSumo Posts: 16
    Wow....

while I have no desire to ever go to that school or live anywhere near it, I must say that was an extremely informative piece you did! Based on your findings, do you think the BJJ instructor, or in fact the entire dojo, might be a "McDojo?" I was browsing through the website and ANYTIME I see a kid below 10 years old with a Black Belt in anything, it raises flags for me (not saying a 10 year old can't be skilled in Martial Arts, it's just a personal opinion thing)

The Shotokan side of it looks legit enough I suppose. But "Kosen Judo" is just a ruleset of Kodokan Judo in relation to Nezawa (Ground techniques) and not an entirely separate form of Judo per se.

Noticed on one of the pics, he's wearing a Gracie patch (but of course anyone could) he refused to go into detail about it? That's a definitive red flag. I'm just a white belt (an injured one currently at that) but I know the lineage of my school already....
  • GrowlerGrowler Posts: 590
    I was actually thinking about going to a class there this afternoon...but after reading this and the website thought. Um, no that would probably be a bad idea/use of time no matter what would have happened there. But they have a class 4-6 any avid readers can rush to if they want.

The class might either just plain suck or else god forbid they read this and didn't suck they could be ready to break somebody's arm if possible.
  • jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    I suggest you find the facebook videos this guy has put out and all questions will be answered :shock:

:ahh:

Wow....

while I have no desire to ever go to that school or live anywhere near it, I must say that was an extremely informative piece you did! Based on your findings, do you think the BJJ instructor, or in fact the entire dojo, might be a "McDojo?" I was browsing through the website and ANYTIME I see a kid below 10 years old with a Black Belt in anything, it raises flags for me (not saying a 10 year old can't be skilled in Martial Arts, it's just a personal opinion thing)

The Shotokan side of it looks legit enough I suppose. But "Kosen Judo" is just a ruleset of Kodokan Judo in relation to Nezawa (Ground techniques) and not an entirely separate form of Judo per se.

Noticed on one of the pics, he's wearing a Gracie patch (but of course anyone could) he refused to go into detail about it? That's a definitive red flag. I'm just a white belt (an injured one currently at that) but I know the lineage of my school already....
  • billiniraqbilliniraq Posts: 2,163
    Interesting. Did you submit this to Bullshido? They do alot of work with tracking down credentials of questionable instructors. The guy is wearing a Gracie Barra patch, but he does not appear in the Gracie Barra database.
    I suggest you find the facebook videos this guy has put out and all questions will be answered :shock:

*Checks out FB page....watches videos......*

:?

and :?

I see what you mean.......I think?
  • parabellumparabellum Posts: 4,236
    Very interesting write up.
    If anyone who watches these videos thinks there is more than 0.00001% probability this guy is a legit bjj black belt, they are right in the middle of a huuuuge crack binge.

*Checks out FB page....watches videos......*

and :?

I see what you mean.......I think?
  • thegentthegent Posts: 1,068
    edited August 2012
    Where are the videos ?

edit : https://www.facebook.com/james.paredes.7
  • Interesting. Did you submit this to Bullshido? They do alot of work with tracking down credentials of questionable instructors. The guy is wearing a Gracie Barra patch, but he does not appear in the Gracie Barra database.
    I plan on making a thread on Bullshido, basically just placing a link to this thread since a lot of people here in NC are members of this particular forum.
  • FEDLEOFEDLEO Posts: 133
    Me and a friend of mine decided to visit Mo's Shotokan Karate in Cary NC, because of a BJJ Black Belt with questionable experience and credentials began placing rolling and technique videos on the internet.

I recently have moved back to Raleigh, though I practice BJJ consistently with Billy Dowey in Raleigh, we were curious about who this new BJJ Black Belt was.

We were not there to embarrass or humiliate anyone, we were simply there to try a class and to witness firsthand his teaching ability.
    First, stating you weren't there to embarrass or humiliate anyone is crap. You already attend a school and went there specifically because you saw "questionable" techniques and rolling on the Internet. Which is fine, but don't downplay you were being an asshole, because you were.

Second, I don't see anywhere that he states he's a BJJ blackbelt. I've looked on the site and he says Jiu-Jitsu. Maybe I'm missing it, but don't see it.
    Me and a friend of mine decided to visit Mo's Shotokan Karate in Cary NC, because of a BJJ Black Belt with questionable experience and credentials began placing rolling and technique videos on the internet.

I recently have moved back to Raleigh, though I practice BJJ consistently with Billy Dowey in Raleigh, we were curious about who this new BJJ Black Belt was.

We were not there to embarrass or humiliate anyone, we were simply there to try a class and to witness firsthand his teaching ability.

First, stating you weren't there to embarrass or humiliate anyone is crap. You already attend a school and went there specifically because you saw "questionable" techniques and rolling on the Internet. Which is fine, but don't downplay you were being an a**hole, because you were.

Second, I don't see anywhere that he states he's a BJJ blackbelt. I've looked on the site and he says Jiu-Jitsu. Maybe I'm missing it, but don't see it.
    I think your characterization of him as an "asshole" is way off base, and highly disrespectful. Your conduct here reflects on you, your school, and the BJJ community in general.

Keeping fraudsters out of our art is a service to the entire BJJ community. He attended a class, and posted his thoughts and observations in a clear, concise, and respectful way.

I have seen people set up fraudulent BBs for *major* internet embarrassment. The difference between those instances and this one, is that this was handled with class.

He stated very clearly that this instructor told him he got his black belt from the Gracie Academy in Torrance. In his pictures on the website, under the Jiu Jitsu section, he is wearing a Helio Gracie style BJJ black belt:

http://www.moskarate.com/images/jiu-jitsu.jpg

He is also wearing a GB affiliate Gi, which is something I suspect that GB would be interested in knowing about.

What specifically bothers you about the way that this was handled?
  • buhriyonbuhriyon Posts: 546
    I still don't know how someone can have the balls to front as being a bjj black belt, when the art is so big on lineage. I would be constantly in terror of being found out, which would not be that hard considering how big competitions are. I do know that crap would not last too long in my area.
    edited August 2012
    He stated very clearly that this instructor told him he got his black belt from the Gracie Academy in Torrance. In his pictures on the website, under the Jiu Jitsu section, he is wearing a Helio Gracie style BJJ black belt:

He is also wearing a GB affiliate Gi, which is something I suspect that GB would be interested in knowing about.

I have no issue trying to uncover someone claiming to be a BJJ black belt, but trying to sell it like there were no bad intentions and it was a friendly visit is crap. He saw this guys technique was crap, he already trains at another school in the same town and specifically went there to see his class and roll with him. If he would have been up front and stated he was there to embarrass this guy and post it all over the Internet, I wouldn't complain. If you're going to be an asshole, embrace it. Don't sell it like you weren't. That's my issue.

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't up to par, but I don't remember reading that this guy stated he received a black belt from Torrance. Just traveled there. The school schedule doesn't list BJJ classes, but Jiu-Jitsu classes, there is nothing written on the site that this guy is a BJJ black belt. Maybe he trained at a GB affiliate and has a left over Gi. Show me where this clown claims to be a BJJ black belt?
  • sitfliersitflier Posts: 254

I have no issue trying to uncover someone claiming to be a BJJ black belt, but trying to sell it like there were no bad intentions is crap. He saw this guys technique was crap, he already trains at another school in the town and specifically went there to see his class and roll with him. If he would have been up front and stated he was there to embarrass this guy and post it all over the Internet, I wouldn't complain. If you're going to be an a**hole, embrace it. Don't sell it like you weren't. That's my issue.

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't up to par, but I don't remember reading that this guy stated he received a black belt from Torrance. Just traveled there. The school schedule doesn't list BJJ classes, but Jiu-Jitsu classes. Maybe he trained at a GB affiliate and has a left over Gi. Show me where this clown claims to be a BJJ black belt?
    I kind of agree, I can't find any references on brazilian jiu jitsu on his website. Surely, jiu jitsu existed long before brazilians got involved in the art.

I have no issue trying to uncover someone claiming to be a BJJ black belt, but trying to sell it like there were no bad intentions is crap. He saw this guys technique was crap, he already trains at another school in the town and specifically went there to see his class and roll with him. If he would have been up front and stated he was there to embarrass this guy and post it all over the Internet, I wouldn't complain.

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't up to par, but I don't remember reading that this guy stated he received a black belt from Torrance. Just traveled there. The school schedule doesn't list BJJ classes, but Jiu-Jitsu classes. Maybe he trained at a GB affiliate and has a left over Gi. Show me where this clown claims to be a BJJ black belt?
    Its right there:
    He told us that it took him 14 years to get his black belt, and that he had spent time living in San Diego but made the commute to Torrance to train there with the Gracies.
    Remember that the context is this:
    Mr. Paredes explained that his style was a blend of Kosen Judo and BJJ.
    However, even if he never said it, he is wearing a black belt that is ONLY used by BJJ practitioners. That is not a Judo belt, that is a BJJ belt.

Also this:
    He never revealed exactly who it was that he trained with, but mostly stated that he started back in 1989 and towards the end of the conversation my friend John clearly asked who it was that gave him his black belt and he quickly moved the conversation onto something else
    You are only considering this one man (who certainly appears to be a fraudulent BB), and not the OP's actual intentions.

His goals do not appear to me to be to embarrass the alleged fraudulent BB, but to call to the attention, what this man is stating to anyone who walks through the door.

If I lie to your face, and you then tell a community affected by that lie, what I said...that is MY embarrassment, caused by MY actions.

By exposing this man, he is *helping* our community retain is credibility, and in doing that, his intentions are true to the community.

I would like to ask you a question: Why does this bother you to the degree that it does? You sound personally offended.

Also: You did not even address the fact that you just called a fellow forum member and BJJ practitioner an "asshole". Do you feel that kind of name calling is appropriate in a friendly and close knit forum such as this?
    The man never stated he is a BJJ Black belt.

The website does not state he is a BJJ Black Belt.

The school does not offer BJJ classes.

A search of BJJ Cary, NC in the all knowing Google does not bring up this school or instructor.

This post is creating drama and attempting to embarrass a man where no drama should be. Ok, he wears a black belt that only BJJ practitioners wear and a GB Gi. So what? I've been training BJJ for four years and had no idea that BJJ had special belts that only we wear.

How this helps "our community" is beyond me.

Any member attempting to embarrass someone that has never claimed to be something they are not, is an asshole.
    The man never stated he is a BJJ Black belt.

The website does not state he is a BJJ Black Belt.

The school does not offer BJJ classes.

A search of BJJ Cary, NC in the all knowing Google does not bring up this school or instructor.

This post is creating drama and attempting to embarrass a man where no drama should be. Ok, he wears a black belt that only BJJ practitioners wear and a GB Gi. So what. I've been training BJJ for four years and had no idea that BJJ had special belts that only we wear.

How this helps "our community" is beyond me.

Any member attempting to embarrass someone that has never claimed to be something they are not, is an a**hole.
    Thank you for explaining your point of view on the matter.
  • JoeyjitsuJoeyjitsu Posts: 175
    i dont know man, he has an Asian wife and kid, seems pretty legit to me.

if the guy never said he was a Gracie or Brazilian Jiu jitsu black belt and said that he trained with the Gracies then he wasnt technically lying. Basing his fraudulent behavior on what type of belt he is wearing doesnt really hold much weight. I bought a Badboy belt when I got promoted and rock it over the cheap one the school provides. Im just saying that you can wear whatever belt you want.

If I had to bet without any real input, he is probably a Judo black belt that has trained for fourteen years and used to travel to Torrance to train with the Gracies when able.

I would be careful not to start a turf war since you guys are talking smack about a guy in your neighborhood. I dont know the rules but it seems like this could be considered slander since you are so close to one another. But hey, what do I know, I am finding that I know less and less about more and more everyday.
    i dont know man, he has an Asian wife and kid, seems pretty legit to me.

if the guy never said he was a Gracie or Brazilian Jiu jitsu black belt and said that he trained with the Gracies then he wasnt technically lying. Basing his fraudulent behavior on what type of belt he is wearing doesnt really hold much weight. I bought a Badboy belt when I got promoted and rock it over the cheap one the school provides. Im just saying that you can wear whatever belt you want.

If I had to bet without any real input, he is probably a Judo black belt that has trained for fourteen years and used to travel to Torrance to train with the Gracies when able.

I would be careful not to start a turf war since you guys are talking smack about a guy in your neighborhood. I dont know the rules but it seems like this could be considered slander since you are so close to one another. But hey, what do I know, I am finding that I know less and less about more and more everyday.
    It's a gracie barra symbol on his pant leg. Further, the website touts the program as jiu-jitsu...not Judo.

This post is creating drama and attempting to embarrass a man where no drama should be. Ok, he wears a black belt that only BJJ practitioners wear and a GB Gi. So what? I've been training BJJ for four years and had no idea that BJJ had special belts that only we wear.

Here's the simple fact. You saying you've trained for 4 years and didn't realize other arts do not wear the same belt as us demonstrates to me that you've never trained another art. So you can't understand what this guy is actually doing. What he's doing is deceiving both his students, and anyone who wouldn't know better.

As someone who hold 4 black belts outside of BJJ, one in Aiki Ju-Jitsu, I can tell you that it IS VERY WELL KNOWN to the rest of the martial art world that BJJ is the ONLY art that uses the ranks with black bars/ black belt with a red bar. THE ONLY ART...period. So this guy, is making a conscious decision to represent himself as something he's not.

If you walk into a hospital with an ailment, someone walks up to you and offers assistance, they're wearing scrubs or a shirt and tie with a lab coat, they speak with medical language, then they give you a prescription, you would take it for granted they are a medical professional. The talk, the location, the conditions under which you met all suggest that. If it turned out that person was not a medical professional, it would be a criminal act.

What this guy is doing, MAY BE, no different. That said...I'm not there, I've never trained with him, and therefore can not judge him totally. But the evidence presented would suggest he's being less than honorable.
    Any of those guys visiting could have easily mopped the floor with this guy. How in the world can you claim they were there to embarrass and humiliate instead of accurately report? A very very very respectful report I might ad for an obvious fraud. There is no way I could have been anywhere near as kind as the reporter in this instance. I would have snapped.

You call this being an asshole? My gawd... there were people calling for a straight up old school gracie dojo raid.
    Second, I don't see anywhere that he states he's a BJJ blackbelt.
    Right.... because wearing a gracie barra patch, while wearing a bjj style black belt, while saying ossss every chance you get, while using bjj terminology, while claiming to have trained at the torrance academy, while spelling it jiu jitsu instead of ju jitsu, while claiming to teach a hybrid of BJJ and Kosen, ALL 100% LEAD ME TO BELIEVE this is not BJJ, and japanese jiu jitsu instead or some other martial art :roll:

It begs the question. How the hell do you teach a "hybrid" of BJJ + Kosen with *****zero***** rank in BJJ or Kosen??????????? Can you please point out his bjj rank or kosen rank for me anywhere, and who gave him those ranks?
    Can I claim to teach a hybrid of TKD and Hapkido if I dont know either art and wear a black belt while doing so?

There are real bjj black belts in this world that have put a decade+ of hard work, sweat and tears into earning one of the toughest to get belts in the world, and some guy opens up shop, and uses every trick in the book to imply he is a bjj black belt while technically avoiding the claim when asked point blank, and you conclude everything is just fine???

These students are spending money learning made up CRAP, when they could be getting REAL instruction instead for their hard earned dollars and you see no value in exposing a fraud like this???? Really dude?

In one of his videos, his student puts him in a kimura from guard, and then explains how to get away **FROM THE CHOKE**. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    If you cant detect straight up fraud of this level, I really dont know what to say. He's not even good at pretending to know BJJ. Someone who knows nothing about BJJ could have watched 15 minutes of youtube and done a better job :rofl:

You are way out of line calling anyone here an asshole. You must think every member of bullshido is an asshole by definition. I see them as providing a valuable service that is obviously needed when I see stuff like this.

First, stating you weren't there to embarrass or humiliate anyone is crap. You already attend a school and went there specifically because you saw "questionable" techniques and rolling on the Internet. Which is fine, but don't downplay you were being an a**hole, because you were.

Yea some of the discussion is running contrary to the harmony of this site and BJJ in general......not a need for mame calling,espically when the OP wrote what I felt was a fair and honest review.

But to play devil's advocate, I went back and reread his FB and the Mo's site myself again....and I sorta see where others are coming from.

It's true he's not calling himself a all in all BJJ black belt.....he's claiming to be a black belt of his OWN system ("Paredes Jiu-Jistu") which on the site he list as "A Hybrid of Kosen Judo and Brazillian Jiu-Jistu" If you search more on the web about him (he has his own website detailing his family's Filipino/Chinese heritage) it says he was "given" a black belt after taking the best from several styles. :? And yea,no listing of lineage anywhere,either though traditional Jiu-Jistu and its offshoots (I.E. Wally Jay) or BJJ. Also on his FB, he dosen't use "Brazillain Jiu-Jistu" only Jiu-Jitsu,and he tries to use the Japanese names of moves.

So all in all, yea it seems "James Sensei" isin't claiming to be a BJJ black belt but a "Jiu-Jitsu" black belt of his own system,which anyone,legit skills or not has a right to do (though they shoundn't...) Sort of like "Joe Son Do" (Kimo's teacher,currently in prision) I would hope anyone that he would explain to any potential students that he is NOT a Brazillain Jiu-Jitsu teacher to try and cash in on the popularity of BJJ, but a teacher of his own system.Which it seems he did with the OP.A McDojo? Perhaps...unless others in that area have rolled with him and/or seen him or his students in a tournament....
    I've trained in boxing and Muay Thai for 15 years but since they don't give out belts I guess they don't count as an "art".

I've received three belts in BJJ and none of them have a black bar. Maybe my school is a little ghetto and buys the cheaper belts for promotion, but when I first walked into a BJJ gym, I never looked for the black bar my black belt instructor was wearing.

When I started looking for a school, I googled and searched for BJJ. I would venture to guess that a majority of this guys students aren't there to learn BJJ, they're probably Karate students wanting to learn some ground game.

Again, he wears a belt with a black bar on it, he wears a GB Gi. Who cares? He's not selling BJJ. If a TKD guy wears a BJJ Black Belt and is teaching at a TKD school will his students or anyone else think he's a BJJ black belt? Probably not.

Maybe guys that are black belt collectors or someone who has four black belts in other "arts" would care what belt this guy is wearing, but 90% of the population wouldn't even notice.
    I am now JoeSensei and I am creating a new Art "JOdo". Classes begin at $250 per month and we emphasize catching bullets with the teeth. Payment is required in advance.
    I would hope anyone that he would explain to any potential students that he is NOT a Brazillain Jiu-Jitsu teacher to try and cash in on the popularity of BJJ, but a teacher of his own system.Which it seems he did with the OP.A McDojo?
    Except that he crosses the line when he does in fact state he teaches a hybrid of bjj + kosen, which logically means you need to know bjj.

I hope most people are well aware of the "technical word games" these guys use so they can print out a black belt certificate, put it on the wall, and tie a black belt around their waist.

But as Bill so brilliantly pointed out, if I opened a business with a big sign in front that said HOSPITAL, and put a white coat and tie on, a badge on my chest that said Dr Jack, and attempted to use all kinds of medical terminology and then you later found out im a "doctor of my own made up discipline" with an MD from my own made up university, I would be in prison. Yes, its still straight up fraud.

He could have played the technical word game better if he simply stated he invented Paredes Jiu-Jistu and he's a black belt.

But when he crossed the line and stated he teaches a hybrid of BJJ and Kosen, that requires actually knowing both arts. If you dont, you are indeed committing fraud IMO. Fraud is intentionally trying to deceive someone. He is trying awfully hard to convince people he is teaching BJJ, you know, the 50% of his hybrid style.

Again, he wears a belt with a black bar on it, he wears a GB Gi. Who cares? He's not selling BJJ.
    Except that he is.

The following two sentences are not compatible

1) Im not selling BJJ
    2) I teach a system that is 50% BJJ (my own BJJ Kosen hybrid)
    edited August 2012
    I also noticed that the fellow didn't claim a BJJ black belt on his site. But yet he is depicted with one of the as far as I know only BJJ uses with the red stripe and white tips. And yeah had a GI with a GB logo on it.

I personally thought it was confusing to read that there was a personal style out there of Kosen Judo and BJJ. I haven't heard of any other representation of Kosen Judo in the US and just find that unusual especially considering the common 'google friendly' references to what Kosen Judo is.

I think it's entirely possible that the fellow has his black belt from his 'mentors' from in 'Kosen Judo' . And maybe he's had some privates or just regular training from Torrence...etc...

Just think twice about trying to destroy somebody before knowing his story. I'd suggest please follow up and get your answers before opening to a wider audience...although I agree with your concerns and think you're probably right.
    I am now JoeSensei and I am creating a new Art "JOdo". Classes begin at $250 per month and we emphasize catching bullets with the teeth. Payment is required in advance.
    Sorry Joe Sensei too late...I learned that already from 10th Red Sash Grandmaster Bruce Leroy :mosh: I'll be glad to host a seminar at your dojo for an "ahem" small fee and a coupon to Red Lobster however :-o
  • KintanonKintanon Posts: 1,174
    Having participated in a number of investigations on Bullshido dealing with this exact kind of person and the exact kind of situation we see here I would like to weigh in with my two cents.

This person is not directly lying, they are setting up an environment where they can allow their victim to lie to themselves. A person with no martial arts experience will look at him and what he's doing, see the Gracie Barra pants, see the belt, see the grappling, and think "Brazillian Jiujitsu Black belt".

He is committing fraud through omission by allowing students to believe he is a credentially BJJ blackbelt when he is not. His explanation to the reviewer even implied it by discussing his trips to Torrence to train with the Gracies.

While this is not as blatant as outright saying "I have a BJJ black belt" it is just as much deceiving his students. His techniques (I watched the video) are reprehensible. If those videos aren't an accurate assessment of the material that he teaches then he shouldn't have them out there representing him. If they ARE an accurate assessment then he doesn't need to be teaching grappling.

The argument put forth by one poster in this thread that the review was meant to be harmful or embarrass is completely meaningless. Had he been demonstrating proven technique, with skill, then the review would have indicated that regardless of any particular intention by the reviewers.

The truth of the matter is what is important, and the truth is that this man is deceiving people by allowing them to think, and even encouraging them to think, that he is a properly credentialed Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blackbelt when he is not.

Oh, and 'Jiu Jitsu' didn't exist before the Brazilians got hold of it. The J I U spelling is the Brazilian spelling of the romanization of the japanese. So if you are saying Jiu-Jitsu, then you are again implying Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and anyone with a blackbelt in Judo, or Japanese Ju Jitsu, or any other art knows the difference.

This person is perpetrating a fraud, though not the largest or most elaborate fraud I've ever seen, and they are misrepresenting themselves. Defending them implies that you condone instructors misleading their students.
    SHOW me where this guy is claiming to be a BJJ Black Belt.

Is this guy really stealing that much business from Team R.O.C?

Yes, his post was respectful and was not degrading, however his intentions to visit the school were malicious. He wasn't there for a "friendly visit", he was there to see the alleged competition to Team R.O.C.

My issue with this post is this guy is not advertising, stating, listing his affiliation to BJJ or even stating he's teaching BJJ. But members of Team R.O.C felt the need to visit this guy and post that this guy is teaching BJJ.

I'm a DT instructor for my Agency and I teach a portion on ground fighting. I use BJJ terminology, I use BJJ techniques, but am I teaching BJJ. No. I'm teaching ground fighting for Law Enforcement Officers. I also teach a stand-up portion and use Muay Thai techniques, Muay Thai terminology, but am I teaching Muay Thai. No. I'm teaching Defensive Striking for Law Enforcement.

I've seen Bullshido go after someone, like Team R.O.C. is going after this guy, that they shouldn't have "investigated" or "outed". So yes, they were assholes at that time.

I'm all about outing BJJ Frauds and Bullshido does a good job at that, but this guy isn't it. I see this as Team R.O.C. is on a witch hunt of the local competition, which he isn't really competition.

That's how I see it.

Except that he crosses the line when he does in fact state he teaches a hybrid of bjj + kosen, which logically means you need to know bjj.

I hope most people are well aware of the "technical word games" these guys use so they can print out a black belt certificate, put it on the wall, and tie a black belt around their waist.

But as Bill so brilliantly pointed out, if I opened a business with a big sign in front that said HOSPITAL, and put a white coat and tie on, a badge on my chest that said Dr Jack, and attempted to use all kinds of medical terminology and then you later found out im a "doctor of my own made up discipline" with an MD from my own made up university, I would be in prison. Yes, its still straight up fraud.

He could have played the technical word game better if he simply stated he invented Paredes Jiu-Jistu and he's a black belt.

But when he crossed the line and stated he teaches a hybrid of BJJ and Kosen, that requires actually knowing both arts. If you dont, you are indeed committing fraud IMO. Fraud is intentionally trying to deceive someone. He is trying awfully hard to convince people he is teaching BJJ, you know, the 50% of his hybrid style.
    No disagreements from me there.....it would be smarter (and more accurate) if he just said "Jiujistu" instead of saying Brazilian JiuJitsu......he could claim his lineage from Ronald McDonald, or Joe Jitsu from the Di*k Tracy show if he wanted.Because unless your specific about the style of Jiujitsu (I.E. "Small Circle") the lineage becomes ambiguious and almost dosen't matter (unless your a research nerd like me)

To the OP: What was the reason he refused to roll with you again?

Is this guy really stealing that much business from Team R.O.C?

Yes, his post was respectful and was not degrading, however his intentions to visit the school were malicious. He wasn't there for a "friendly visit", he was there to see the alleged competition to Team R.O.C.

My issue with this post is this guy is not advertising, stating, listing his affiliation to BJJ or even stating he's teaching BJJ. But members of Team R.O.C felt the need to visit this guy and post that this guy is teaching BJJ.

I'm a DT instructor for my Agency and I teach a portion on ground fighting. I use BJJ terminology, I use BJJ techniques, but am I teaching BJJ. No. I'm teaching ground fighting for Law Enforcement Officers. I also teach a stand-up portion and use Muay Thai techniques, Muay Thai terminology, but am I teaching Muay Thai. No. I'm teaching Defensive Striking for Law Enforcement.

I've seen Bullshido go after someone, like Team R.O.C. is going after this guy, that they shouldn't have "investigated" or "outed". So yes, they were assholes at that time.

I'm all about outing BJJ Frauds and Bullshido does a good job at that, but this guy isn't it. I see this as Team R.O.C. is on a witch hunt of the local competition, which he isn't really competition.

That's how I see it.
    The guy is teaching grappling wearing a BJJ black belt.

He doesn't have a BJJ black belt. In fact, I don't see any evidence that he has a blackbelt in Judo either, so as far as I can tell he's not in any way qualified to teach grappling to anyone.
    My issue with this post is this guy is not advertising, stating, listing his affiliation to BJJ or even stating he's teaching BJJ.
    This is simply incorrect.

If you claim that you are teaching a BJJ Kosen hybrid, then logically, you ARE teaching BJJ. Period.
    Now lets complete the analogy. So you therefore claim that you teach a BJJ + Muay Thai hybrid correct?????

You clearly stated you are not teaching BJJ and Muay Thai. He *IS* stating he is teaching BJJ and Kosen as a hybrid. Thats why you are doing is completely different that what he is doing.
    edited August 2012
    In fact, I don't see any evidence that he has a blackbelt in Judo either, so as far as I can tell he's not in any way qualified to teach grappling to anyone.
    I'm not arguing this guy has legitimate techniques or grappling ability. I've seen the videos and he's crap, but the OP stated he went to a BJJ Academy to see a questionable BJJ Black Belt.

I see no claim by this guy anywhere on the Internet that he his a BJJ Black Belt or operates a BJJ Academy.

He might have a made up his own black belt and is total crap, but lets not crucify a guy on a claim that he never made. The only claim about BJJ is by the OP.
    It's one thing to say the guy just sucks and is no good. But another would be to say he's claiming a black belt of a particulair lineage and that wasn't true.

I don't think that's being claimed on the web material for bjj. It was claimed in some fasion with hand waiving that a black belt was had. And kosen judo is involved? I don't know of what kosen judo organization or affiliation is around in the USA.

So, I would think the bb is from his kosen judo mentor whoever that is...and it is just a guy/gal...without a larger organization to validate it. This could be a judo BB from japan or just some guy taught buy a guy from japan who did judo in high school...who knows. there is now 'law' about this and if you suck you suck even if you have official roots.

I don't think the GB gi is an offence especially if he did take some classes or privates...but the specially styled BJJ black belt is definitely weird.

yet, that doesn't mean the guy is fraud or evil or whatnaught. don't underestimate the power of inept (however the nervous conversation from OP is to be considered). I never ran across him when looking for bjj classes in cary and i live here. that said i don't condone it..but i wouldn't suggest license from what i've seen to seek out and go persecute somebody for it. he's getting students from the karate school and my guess is that is it.
    Now lets complete the analogy. So you therefore claim that you teach a BJJ + Muay Thai hybrid correct?????

You clearly stated you are not teaching BJJ and Muay Thai. He *IS* stating he is teaching BJJ and Kosen as a hybrid. Thats why you are doing is completely different that what he is doing.
    Excellent point. Maybe the guy is a blue belt in BJJ and something else in Judo. Created his own hybrid system and slapped on a black belt. Is it wrong? Yes. But he has never made the claim to be a BJJ Black Belt or operate a BJJ Academy, which the OP states is the case.
    edited August 2012
    1) He claims he's a black belt
    2) He claims to teach BJJ and Kosen (his hybrid) system

What is his BJJ rank? Not listed.
    What is his Judo rank? Not listed.

He squirms out of questions concerning rank/belts/lineage, etc

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Lying_by_omission

Lying by omission is lying by either omitting certain facts or by failing to correct a misconception. In the case of the former, an example of this would be a car salesmen claiming a car to have amazing fuel economy while neglecting to mention that it has no engine and is completely immobile. In the case of the latter, it could be a situation in which a misconception exists that the claimant is aware of but fails to correct, such as a person who wanders around a hospital dressed as a doctor, offering treatment while failing to mention that she is in fact just getting a kick out of pretending to be a doctor
    He will not explicitly state anywhere that he is a bjj black belt, while doing everything in his power to make sure people conclude he is a bjj black belt. Thats exactly the game these guys play.

I think you guys are getting hung up on the fact that he doesnt explicitly state he is a bjj black belt. But that is precisely what he is working hard at getting people to believe without actually saying it. Its straight up deception, and thats the core issue here.
    So, I would think the bb is from his kosen judo mentor whoever that is...and it is just a guy/gal...without a larger organization to validate it. This could be a judo BB from japan or just some guy taught buy a guy from japan who did judo in high school...who knows. there is now 'law' about this and if you suck you suck even if you have official roots.

We have gone over this at Bullshido over and over again, there is no such thing as an unregistered Judo blackbelt of unknown lineage. ALL legitimate black belts are registered with the national governing body of Judo for their country. You can look them up easily.

If you aren't registered, you aren't a Judo blackbelt, period.

The reason that reviews and exposure like this are so important is BECAUSE there is no law. And there is no way for someone that has no grappling experience to tell whether this guy is legit or not without information like this being put out.

We have gone over this at Bullshido over and over again, there is no such thing as an unregistered Judo blackbelt of unknown lineage. ALL legitimate black belts are registered with the national governing body of Judo for their country. You can look them up easily.

The reason that reviews and exposure like this are so important is BECAUSE there is no law. And there is no way for someone that has no grappling experience to tell whether this guy is legit or not without information like this being put out.
    i wouldn't go as far as to say there is no unregistered judo blackbelt of unknown lineage. well..the lineage was known sort of but not that easily traceable. if a competitor comes in from another country it might not be that easy to trace (but you're right...if you were diligent i'm sure you could track down some cometition record in the dominican republic). but it is should be easy to tell they are legit when they throw you.

but since you can have value in the abscense of record (transplant from a weird place) and no/little value in the precence of one...(don't ask me for a name) ...I still don't think there's a gold standard for anything. I think the OP's visit is the valuable thing.

But before you try to take away someones livelihood be sure My posts are not defending him...just the position that you should be careful before trying to 'bring somebody down' with how they live. Because...that's PRETTY important to them. So, it's always worth a second or third review.

I don't know anything about this guy in particular and actually I kind of agree it looks very fishy.
  • MohawkeMohawke Posts: 187
    Seemed like a respectable 'dojo storm' to me. Good job guys.
  • RelentlessRelentless Posts: 536
    I just wanted to give a little moral support to the OP, and just point out that yes, he said he thought the man was questionable, but there is no connotation at all saying he was going head hunting.

First of all, he never mentioned anything about this guy being competition for his school or that he wished the members of that school would go to R.O.C or anything like that. That was taken out of no where.

There was nothing malicious about it. If you heard someone in your area was 'questionable', heck, you'd want to check it out too, out of curiosity at the very least.

He went there, had an open mind about the instructor and his work, let things flow and was in no way poking fingers at anyone. He simply gave him a chance and wrote an honest, CLASSY, review. He even highlighted the nice points of the school and man. He wasn't anywhere close to bashing the guy. Just giving an honest review.

It /helps/ the BJJ community as well as it protects the students of this 'instructor.' They are paying hard earned money to go to those classes, and if it's all fake and not worth the coin then they are being /cheated./

He isn't being an a-hole. He isn't being malicious. He isn't head hunting or recruiting. He was curious and wrote an honest review with not even an ounce of insulting. A full, well rounded review.

Honestly, for the people who think he is slandering, think about it like this. You buy a gi, right? And you use it and test it out, and decide to put a review on your blog. Well, it turns out your gi is awful, and no where near as good as the website said. So you put down an honest review of the gi. It's not slander. You are a customer, reviewing a product, and saying how it is. Protecting other people from an investment in a foul product.

i wouldn't go as far as to say there is no unregistered judo blackbelt of unknown lineage. well..the lineage was known sort of but not that easily traceable. if a competitor comes in from another country it might not be that easy to trace (but you're right...if you were diligent i'm sure you could track down some cometition record in the dominican republic). but it is should be easy to tell they are legit when they throw you.

but since you can have value in the abscense of record (transplant from a weird place) and no/little value in the precence of one...(don't ask me for a name) ...I still don't think there's a gold standard for anything. I think the OP's visit is the valuable thing.

But before you try to take away someones livelihood be sure My posts are not defending him...just the position that you should be careful before trying to 'bring somebody down' with how they live. Because...that's
    PRETTY important to them. So, it's always worth a second or third review.

I don't know anything about this guy in particular and actually I kind of agree it looks very fishy.
    Nope. Not possible. The Dominican Republic has a Judo governing body. If someone from there claims to be a Judo Black Belt I can send an email and find out. It's incredibly strict.
  • fmbanditofmbandito Posts: 566
    This dude is a clown.

From what I've seen in the past two months of training BJJ, people are somewhat proud of their lineage. They're proud of their school/team. If this guy was clearly asked who he got his black belt from and didn't answer, to me that's enough.
  • kenseikensei Posts: 130
    Here is my 2.3 cents worth on this and possibly a bit of logic to end this issue!

First off I have been in martial arts for more time that some of you have been walking! And I have seen more frauds than I care to admit, I have also seen guys make up styles thinking "oh, this is cool...I will be the head of my own school in Kung fool and will make millions" only to fall flat on their collective faces. its sad to see guys make up "hybrids" when what they are really doing is watering down the originals to create a kind of weak ass martial soup that they push on new students and create a power grab for themselves to feed their egos and then they burn out when they learn its hard work keeping the people from looking behind the curtain to see that the great Oz is really just a short chinese guy that learned a bit of BJJ on the internet and knew he could sell it to kids and young adults who knew no better! or my favorite...a french style of Kung fu made up by guys that had THREE years of training in some style of kung fu...and TKD! :ahh:

The second and most important thing I have to ask is if someone will actually ask this joker what his lineage actually IS. I mean we sit here assuming things because this guy is not saying things and we assume that we know what the hell he is or is not doing. We get all crackers (justifiably so by the way) because he is selling his students a line.....and we dont actually know what the line is. He says enough for us to try and guess and gets us all tied up scratching our heads saying he is not saying anything really. Maybe one of us who lives near him can go and ask...maybe the OP will go and ask for more details from this guy.

Now having thrown some logic into the mix let me digress a bit. As a multi sport/martial art black belt myself I can say that with my BJJ White belt and limited time in the sport it stinks a bit fowel to see this guy wearing Gracie Barra gear, a BJJ black belt and using the spelling for BJJ Jiu Jitsu to sell his stuff, then watching his facebook vids (SHUDDER) and reading his web site and thinking other newbies like me are getting suckered in.

The other thing that most of you wont know is that "MO's Karate" seems to have a legit lineage. IF the BJJ /Hybrid guy is a fraud I personally think anyone that trained with Nakayama and Okomoto would like to know and boot his butt out of the club.

Maybe its time we all got someone in NC to dig a tad deeper than web sites and actually, respectfully ask the guy!

Please and thank you!
  • fenris9fenris9 Posts: 269
    Fed, I know Veg and John. They are not assholes so don't call them that. Say you disagree with their motives but don't call them that.
    They went there to see what his class was like, what he taught, etc. If they wanted to be asses they could have demanded where he got his belt in front of everyone and demanded he roll and crushed him in front of his students. People do that all the time....I've been to many schools to check out what they do even if I have preconceived notions (which are sometimes confirmed and sometimes reversed)
    As for the fraud, he is clearly trying to pass himself off. Don't kid yourself. He says he teaches a blend of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu!! (spelled as the Brazilians spell it) and a blend of Judo (so do most BJJ gyms). He wears a Black Belt ONLY BJJers wear. He talks about torrance. He wears all the accoutrements of BJJ. He says he teaches Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. He says Ossss. He teaches groundwork. he wears Barra patches. HE SAYS HE TEACHES BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU.
    If I say I trained in the army for 20 years, went to SERE school, wear Ranger tabs on fatigues and Captain's rank. I can't then try to back up and say what I really mean is I did some ROTC in High School and I don't see how got confused (especially if they're paying me for all those "accomplishments"
    So, lay off the name-calling
    And, let's not get too distracted. If you put on a BJJ Black belt (the only art with a belt like ours) you ARE claiming to be a BJJ BB!
    Pure and simple
  • Fed, I know Veg and John. They are not assholes so don't call them that. Say you disagree with their motives but don't call them that.
    They went there to see what his class was like, what he taught, etc. If they wanted to be asses they could have demanded where he got his belt in front of everyone and demanded he roll and crushed him in front of his students. People do that all the time....I've been to many schools to check out what they do even if I have preconceived notions (which are sometimes confirmed and sometimes reversed)
    As for the fraud, he is clearly trying to pass himself off. Don't kid yourself. He says he teaches a blend of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu!! (spelled as the Brazilians spell it) and a blend of Judo (so do most BJJ gyms). He wears a Black Belt ONLY BJJers wear. He talks about torrance. He wears all the accoutrements of BJJ. He says he teaches Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. He says Ossss. He teaches groundwork. he wears Barra patches. HE SAYS HE TEACHES BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU.
    If I say I trained in the army for 20 years, went to SERE school, wear Ranger tabs on fatigues and Captain's rank. I can't then try to back up and say what I really mean is I did some ROTC in High School and I don't see how got confused (especially if they're paying me for all those "accomplishments"
    So, lay off the name-calling
    During our conversation with Mr. Paredes he specifically stated that he teaches a blend of BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU and Kosen Judo. Maybe it is not on his website but those were his exact words when he spoke to us.
  • CholioCholio Posts: 105
    Asshole or not, it says a lot about you if you're willing to trash a man's reputation which he uses to support himself and his family without doing any kind of real investigation into the subject other than the man welcoming you into his academy, hear-say on your behalf and some questionable videos online. Have you even shot an email to the Torrance academy and ask about this guy before attempting to destroy him online? What if this guy is legit, then what? Anyone who googles his name or academy is going to find this and think he is a fraud. People need to realize that the stuff you put online can do some serious damage in real life and if you're going to go that route you should put a lot more into this other than dropping by his academy once and checking out his facebook page.
    a**hole or not, it says a lot about you if you're willing to trash a man's reputation which he uses to support himself and his family without doing any kind of real investigation into the subject other than the man welcoming you into his academy, hear-say on your behalf and some questionable videos online.
    Are you even being remotely serious? How much more investigation do you need?
    We have videos of him teaching complete nonsense, even calling a kimura a choke! :roll:

We have people who actually took a class from this guy and reviewed it.

He clearly is not a legit bjj guy. How is it hear-say when its coming DIRECTLY from the reviewers mouth who was RIGHT THERE IN CLASS??? Do you even know what hear-say is? Geeezuz....

This is a direct witness, the opposite of hear-say.
  • seanzorioseanzorio Posts: 300
    I registered for this board after years and years of training just to respond to this thread.

I've recently seen a bunch of these videos that started all this, and laughed about them at the gym with my buddies. I've gone to a bunch of different schools this year to check them out, see how the classes are run, and try to bring the best of the schools back to the school I help teach at. I have a regular gym, no intention of moving to another school, and have gained a bunch of experience, differeing points of view, and other good tips doing this. I'm fairly certain I know who the thread starter is, and believe he was doing this just as much as going to see how much of a fraud (or not) this guy is.

Arguing semantics over whether or not the guy is lying by not coming right out and saying he is or isnt a BJJ BB isn't the issue for me. Him "taking business" from other schools in the area isn't an issue for me. Him feeding a bunch of unsuspecting kids a bunch of garbage is an issue for me. He's only hurting himself and his school in the long run, but those people coming in have no idea that there's other, better schools in Cary.
    I also personally know a bunch of the guys in this thread who are arguing agianst this guy in Cary. I know that a big reason these guys are upset is over the time and effort they've got in on the mats, and find it disrespectful to everybody who has done that, and the art.
    ONE person's testimony from ONE visit, adding to the fact this person is from another jiu jitsu school in the area is questionable at best. Calling a kimura a choke doesn't mean anything, maybe he's nervous on camera, maybe he's old and confused, maybe English isn't his first language and he got flustered or a combination of all three. He probably isn't legit, but betting this guy's life, reputation and what he uses to support his family on PROBABLY isn't enough for me, maybe it is for you and that's fine, but it mine opinion it does say something about your character if you're willing to trash this guy without even checking with the Torrance academy which he said he had trained.
  • thegentthegent Posts: 1,068
    ONE person's testimony from ONE visit, adding to the fact this person is from another jiu jitsu school in the area is questionable at best. Calling a kimura a choke doesn't mean anything, maybe he's nervous on camera, maybe he's old and confused, maybe English isn't his first language and he got flustered or a combination of all three. He probably isn't legit, but betting this guy's life, reputation and what he uses to support his family on PROBABLY isn't enough for me, maybe it is for you and that's fine, but it mine opinion it does say something about your character if you're willing to trash this guy without even checking with the Torrance academy which he said he had trained.
    No one is betting his life, or his family. There are important unanswered questions, that is all.
    This is becoming very sad. I just dropped a line to Torrence and will see if they know him. The easiest answer, aside from defending and posting defence is to actually go and ask the guy.

everything points to BS. First off he says he trained in Torrence at the Gracie school and yet he wears GB clothing. Kind of strange eh!

the other thing that gets me is how he says so much with out admitting anything in any one direction. It screams scam and fraud. Now that we have (I have) let the Gracie guys know I am sure if they never set eyes on the guy they will send him a little letter! They are known to be very protective of the name!
    It's simple. If he is a BB, his techniques will speak for himself and he will be happy to say who he got his BB from. I have NEVER met a BJJ BB who either didn't tell me up front or couldn't answer immediately who he got his BB from

AND, if you're worried about his livelihood, let me turn it around. What about the area's BBs who got their's legitimately. Are they supposed to potentially lose business to frauds and not say anything about it??

If someone comes to Sean's academy and says they are unsure of his instructors, the Twins can IMMEDIATELY answer any and all questions about their credentials. Pictures or them at each belt level, and who promoted them and references from other Black Belts. IMMEDIATELY!

As an instructor, I'm surprised by all the people who defend a fraud in an art I've devoted myself to
    It's simple. If he is a BB, his techniques will speak for himself and he will be happy to say who he got his BB from. I have NEVER met a BJJ BB who either didn't tell me up front or couldn't answer immediately who he got his BB from

AND, if you're worried about his livelihood, let me turn it around. What about the area's BBs who got their's legitimately. Are they supposed to potentially lose business to frauds and not say anything about it??

If someone comes to Sean's academy and says they are unsure of his instructors, the Twins can IMMEDIATELY answer any and all questions about their credentials. Pictures or them at each belt level, and who promoted them and references from other Black Belts. IMMEDIATELY!

As an instructor, I'm surprised by all the people who defend a fraud in an art I've devoted myself to
    I'm just saying before you label someone a fraud, and create a public post that anyone can view just by googling the guy's name that maybe you should look into it a bit more. Maybe he thought they wouldn't know the name of the person that promoted him because it's a more obscure black belt or he didn't realize that by brushing over a question that his legitimacy would be called into question by an entire community, then maybe he would have took the time to answer it. OR maybe he's a fraud trying to pass off that he knows BJJ when he doesn't. I'm not defending him, I just think it's pretty bold to call someone out without at least giving a call to the Torrance academy which he said he had trained. That's all I have to say on this subject.
  • clinzyclinzy Posts: 1,948

I'm just saying before you label someone a fraud, and create a public post that anyone can view just by googling the guy's name that maybe you should look into it a bit more. Maybe he thought they wouldn't know the name of the person that promoted him because it's a more obscure black belt or he didn't realize that by brushing over a question that his legitimacy would be called into question by an entire community, then maybe he would have took the time to answer it. OR maybe he's a fraud trying to pass off that he knows BJJ when he doesn't. I'm not defending him, I just think it's pretty bold to call someone out without at least giving a call to the Torrance academy which he said he had trained. That's all I have to say on this subject.
    Maaaaaybe, but the BJJ community is a small one. If someone is a black belt, not only should they be willing to give up the name of who promoted them (obscure or not), they should also realize that anyone that doesn't give up that name is immediately suspect.
    To put an end to all this I emailed Mo's Karate direct (As we have the same karate lineage) and I also emailed Torrence.

When I get a reply I will bounce it out, but I still suggest the OP or what ever you young guys call him go back and ask directly!
  • clinzyclinzy Posts: 1,948
    I believe they did ask the instructor directly.

From the OP's post:

We all sat on the floor while Mr. Paredes explained that his style was a blend of Kosen Judo and BJJ. He also explained that he placed great weight on the philosophical side of Jiu Jitsu and told us that Jiu Jitsu is a journey and he was there to help guide us in this journey. He told us that it took him 14 years to get his black belt, and that he had spent time living in San Diego but made the commute to Torrance to train there with the Gracies. He never revealed exactly who it was that he trained with, but mostly stated that he started back in 1989 and towards the end of the conversation my friend John clearly asked who it was that gave him his black belt and he quickly moved the conversation onto something else. Mind you the entire time this conversation was happening, Mr. Paredes seemed to be somewhat nervous. I thought the whole experience was somewhat strange, especially that he felt as though he needed to do this away from his other students for some reason. Near the end of our conversation Mr. Paredes urged us not to injure his students and to really take it easily while we rolled. Even though I thought this whole conversation on the floor of an office in the back of the school was unusual, Mr. Paredes did have some good things to say about how Jiu Jitsu can improve a person's mental and physical health.

I'm glad that inquiries are being made, though. I think I saw that someone had already posted on Bullshido about this, too. Is that correct?
  • GirafaGirafa Posts: 1,231
    If you watch the videos there can be no doubt he is not a bjj black belt. The question here is more if his advertising is honest. Wearing a bjj gi with a bjj black belt is suggestive. He never states anywhere though that he is teaching bjj, just jiu jitsu. A crappy kind of jiu jitsu.

Also he wears a Gracie barra patch, but aren't the gracies in Torrance from Helios lineage, this humaita?

There is already an art called jodo. It is the way (do) of fighting with the long stick (jo).
    If you watch the videos there can be no doubt he is not a bjj black belt. The question here is more if his advertising is honest. Wearing a bjj gi with a bjj black belt is suggestive. He never states anywhere though that he is teaching bjj, just jiu jitsu. A crappy kind of jiu jitsu.

Also he wears a Gracie barra patch, but aren't the gracies in Torrance from Helios lineage, this humaita?

There is already an art called jodo. It is the way (do) of fighting with the long stick (jo).
    I was going to point out that he wears a Barra patch but states that he is from the other side of the family. Its getting kind of strange!

In my lineage in Karate I can tell you whom gave me my ranks and have pictures of me with my instructor for over 30 years, my BJJ is simple and straight forwards, no pics yet as I dont have a rank yet....I get my back up when someone simply tries to confuse others with rank!

when I get info back from Torrence or Mo I will let you all know!
    ONE person's testimony from ONE visit,
    Actually at least two people visited, one hasnt posted here. The other one is a very good purple belt and mma fighter. Let me quote his facebook wall:

"I just atteneded the most ridiculous attempt at a bjj class ever.. words cant even describe what i just witnessed"
    He personally told me the guy taught 4-5? submissions that he demonstrated on him (the purple), and none of them worked, or could make him come close to tapping. He then made an excuse about how these dont work on everyone :lol:

EDIT: I found the exact quote from the purples facebook:

"He taught 5 different submissions. But he couldn't get me to tap to any of them... he said "some moves don't work on some people""
    Calling a kimura a choke doesn't mean anything, maybe he's nervous on camera, maybe he's old and confused, maybe English isn't his first language and he got flustered or a combination of all three
    Yes it absolutely does. All the conjecture in the world isnt going to save him. Looks like he pulled this video down already. I wonder why :lol: He said something along the lines of this being an exclusive technique developed at his school. Think about that... an exclusive technique that he is bragging about and advertising with a video and he still calls a kimura a choke in the video???? I dont think so. He took the time to video this and he got the terminology so wrong its laughable. What other excuses do we have for him now? The guy is 42-ish years old, he's not a super old senile guy.

If a fraud baseball player called a bat a catchers mitt, that would leave little room for doubt. How much more absurd does this have to get?

He probably isn't legit, but betting this guy's life, reputation and what he uses to support his family on PROBABLY isn't enough for me, maybe it is for you and that's fine, but it mine opinion it does say something about your character if you're willing to trash this guy without even checking with the Torrance academy which he said he had trained.
    You want to bet $100 Torrance does not identify him as a black belt?
    What evidence has been put forth that he is a black belt in anything at all?
    None. Zip. He was asked point blank who have him his belt, and he changed the subject instead of proudly saying, so and so...

Ask me who gave me my brown belt and you are not going to get a dodge. Ive never come across a legit BJJ guy who hides who gave him his black belt.
    Fyi: torrance lists all of their belted students on their website. You can see everyone from Rorian all the way down to my previous instructor.

I cant remember if its on the gracie academy or the gracie university page, but you can find it if you look around.
    I dont know if anyone did this but I emailed Mo to give him the chance to clear up any suspicions. Or, it might be just stirring the pot a bit.

Here is the email I sent

Mo,

I dont know you, but wanted to let you know that a very popular jiu jitsu forum has been questioning some of your practice. Here is the link http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

This way you have the opportunity to defend yourself and your practice. I apologize that this has happened to you but I would prefer to know if I was in this position so I would have the opportunity to give my position and defend my credibility.

Have a great day and I am sure that you will have no trouble answering the suscpicions of the masses.

Thanks
    I emailed Mo. Mo is not the BJJ instructor and more than likely just rents him space. We have a similar situation here in winnipeg where the Karate club rents space to a BJJ club. but the BJJ guys are legit out of Torrence.

If I were renting space to someone I would want them to be legit, but you never know..they might not care!
    You make it sound like people are questioning Mo and his shotokan.
    No one is questioning Mo and his shotokan. The only mention here was one person saying the shotokan looked legit.

He likely sublets to this guy that is claiming a black belt and that he teaches bjj and kosen.

I dont know if anyone did this but I emailed Mo to give him the chance to clear up any suspicions. Or, it might be just stirring the pot a bit.

Here is the email I sent

Mo,

I dont know you, but wanted to let you know that a very popular jiu jitsu forum has been questioning some of your practice. Here is the link http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

This way you have the opportunity to defend yourself and your practice. I apologize that this has happened to you but I would prefer to know if I was in this position so I would have the opportunity to give my position and defend my credibility.

Have a great day and I am sure that you will have no trouble answering the suscpicions of the masses.

Thanks
    Sorry Kensei, didnt mean to step on your toes... just getting a kick out of this thread. I feel like a gossip queen, im going to set up a new youtube video soap opera drama series called, as the Jiujitsu turns or these are the BJJs of our lives. :oops:
    No worries Joey, and Jack I made sure to let Mohammed know that we were not questioning his rank or back ground. I dont know him but if he was with Okamoto Sensei in Egypt then he is legit and I let him know I knew his instructor as well as having trained with Nakayama myself.

The issue is not, as I see it, that this guy is teaching something he made up, its that he has infered that he was Gracie taught, be it through Helio lineage or Carlos Sr. by way of his words or his wearing the GB outfit when teaching.

I can let you know that GB does not know him and that the Torrence site does not mention him in any way.

The irronic part is that he could easily have looked up on line the technques he was teaching and learned them...but he looked lazy and did not even know enough to pass as a white belt! Sad man!
  • And, let's not get too distracted. If you put on a BJJ Black belt (the only art with a belt like ours) you ARE claiming to be a BJJ BB!
    Pure and simple
    I'm the new white belt there, but the above just seems soooo obvious to me.

Fed continues to say that this guy never claims to hold a BJJ black belt and yet WEARS ONE while teaching what he says involves BJJ.

It's pretty simple -- if you are training folk with the belt on and don't clearly state otherwise, you are explicly claiming to hold it legimitately. PERIOD!

Even a brand new while belt can figure that out.

JB
  • billybilly Posts: 12
    First of all,to all you idiots defending this guy, I think you're all retards. Just because he doesn't out right lie on his website and instead just avoids having to tell the truth, he's not a fraud? What kind of fucking moron subscribes to that mindset? I guess avoiding the truth to you guys is ok but I take issue with someone conning people.
    I teach an adult class in Raleigh and we have a sister school in Cary. Someone mentioned to the owner of the gym that they knew a black belt in jiu jitsu who was looking for somewhere else to teach. The owner then googled the guy and found his videos. The owner then made a video exposing the guys technique to be fraudulent.
    This guy had several videos of improper technique on his facebook page. I suspect that he has probably taken them all down by now. He is charging people to come in and be shown how to do things WRONG. He does all this while wearing a BJJ black belt.
    If some do not take issue with this,fine. You faggots trying to defend this guy deserve to be his student. There are plenty of legitimate black belts in this area. I would rather see his students with any of them. To know that there are people out there interested in jiu jitsu and being fed bullshit is all this is about. To the guy that made the accusation that Team ROC was just trying to make some sort of business move,go fuck your self. If you have a problem with that,I am at Forged Fitness in Raleigh every day and am more than willing to say that to your face.
    This James guy however,does not teach jiu jitsu well at all,I have seen his videos and have heard from people I trust about his class. Nobody has any idea where he received any of his rank and he is quick to change the subject when asked. Avoiding the truth and lying are the same thing. The guy is fraudulently representing himself and ripping people off.
    I have dedicated my life to jiu jitsu. I get to the academy at 7 am and leave no earlier than 8pm,usually I don't leave until closer till 10 pm. While I am there,I am trying to better my technique and understanding of jiu jitsu as well as my students. I have traveled the world learning jiu jitsu and spent absurd amounts of money doing so. When asked,I quickly tell people who gave my rank to me as well as who else was there. The thought that there is an asshole like this guy out there not only misrepresenting jiu jitsu but making money doing so,is enraging.
    I would bet if a decent athlete with no jiu jitsu experience showed up at this guys place and rolled with him,he would be turned off to jiu jitsu all together. If any of his students ever get into a confrontation and need to use some of the knowledge they paid good money for,they are going to find themselves in deep trouble. Not only is this guy a scumbag con man and bad for jiu jitsu but he is a danger to his students.
    I saw that someone emailed him a link to here. Well if you are reading this, please reply. I will shut up about you being a fraud when you prove you are not. Please let us know who you received your BJJ and Kosen Judo rank from. I also challenge you to roll with my purple belt that came to your school,he is my smallest purple belt. If you are above rolling with a purple belt, Jason who is a black belt ,would be more than happy to roll with you. I also offer to roll with you myself,I am only offering the others because I am quite a bit larger than you. Judging by the techniques you showed in your videos,I think you know better than accepting that challenge.
    You see what we mean when we said Nate (veghead) was being very polite, lol?
    Billy and Jason worked their asses off for their BBs (and their exceptional teaching abilities) so a guy like this fraud deserves whatever anger or challenges Billy and Jason throw down
    Thats one pissed off Royce Gracie Black Belt, who does not sugar coat or mince words :rofl:
    just to keep stoking the fire here.

I have a Judo gi that I wear to Judo and to BJJ sometimes, am I misrepresenting Judo if I am wearing my blue belt to BJJ class in the Judo Gi?
    I have such a man crush on Billy.
    Thats not analogous Joey. Would you wear a Judo Black Belt to a BJJ class?
    You make a good point Fenris but one of the complaints was the guy wearing a gi with a Barra patch on it.

Im actually on board with you guys in the behavior but I think the real answer is simply to have your upper belts go over and talk with the guy. Tell him that it is not ok to misrepresent and ask him to stop and recommend joining your gym so that he can learn in the ways of BJJ.

Do you remember in American Gangster when Cuba Gooding jr was cutting Denzel's stuff and reselling it with the same name? Same issue here.

I think a heart to heart talk between instructors should have been the route of travel over the internet blast. If no resolution, then blast on. :goodidea:

What do you think?
    ^^^ :rofl:

Do you remember in American Gangster when Cuba Gooding jr was cutting Denzel's stuff and reselling it with the same name? Same issue here.
    Did we really just compare BJJ to cocaine?

Not a bad analogy.

Also,
    ...I think you're all retards...You faggots trying to defend this guy deserve to be his student. ...
    How dare you sir.
    I'm pretty sure I would love training with Billy!
    edited August 2012

Ok...I feel like a for even saying anything now. But yes I understand everything billy said and yeah if you've spent you're whole life dedicated to an endevour you're going to be pissed for someone you think obviously is a fake presenting themselves this way.

the pic is more comic relief. In this case 'Sensei Reid' (not a specific person) is in the right. students can show up at tournaments and they show what they can do...[edit] the point behind that comment is that his students could always start showing up at tournaments...
    You have nooooooooooo idea :rofl:
    I always joke if I gave up bjj, I would still go to class for the comic relief :lol:

Im still not sure im going to be able to handle Kurt and Billy in the same room together :shock:

Nothing is off limits at our school.. the shenanigans are legendary :mosh:
    edited August 2012
    Let me get this straight, Team R.O.C. is shocked and appalled by this guy teaching incompetent ground fighting and misrepresenting BJJ in their local area and a local BJJ Black Belt is so enraged by the fraud that he came to a forum to post about it.

How about this, someone man the fuck up, go to his school and confront the guy. Quit being a bunch of whiny ass bitches and create a FIVE PAGE POST ABOUT IT!

If you're so enraged and appalled by this guy GO TO HIS SCHOOL AND CONFRONT HIM LIKE A MAN INSTEAD OF POSTING ON HERE LIKE A BITCH.

Problem solved, no more passive aggressive behavior.

I'm sure Rickson, Royce and all the other BJJ Black Belt gods would have never been caught dead bitching and moaning on the Internet.
    Let me get this straight, Team R.O.C. is shocked and appalled by this guy teaching incompetent ground fighting and misrepresenting BJJ in their local area and a local BJJ Black Belt is so enraged by the fraud that he came to a forum to post about it.

How about this, someone man the f*** up, go to his school and confront the guy. Quit being a bunch of whiny ass bitches and create a FIVE PAGE POST ABOUT IT!

If you're so enraged and appalled by this guy GO TO HIS SCHOOL AND TALK TO HIM LIKE A MAN INSTEAD OF POSTING ON HERE LIKE A b****.

I'm sure Rickson, Royce and all the other BJJ Black Belt gods would have never been caught dead bitching and moaning on the Internet.
    ...They did talk to him. Directly. And asked questions. Directly. And got 'instruction.' Directly. You can't get more direct than going to the school and taking a class... It was stated that when asked about who he got his belt from, he changed the topic of conversation.

But, seriously. They spoke to him face to face... They aren't just complaining on the internet as you say. This all has merit behind it.
  • MohawkeMohawke Posts: 187
    just to keep stoking the fire here.

I have a Judo gi that I wear to Judo and to BJJ sometimes, am I misrepresenting Judo if I am wearing my blue belt to BJJ class in the Judo Gi?
    Hey Joey...

Totally off-topic, but i'm the guy who dropped into your class last week. Just wanted to say hi.

--jay
    Hey Jay,

I told Jack how cool of a guy you are, it was nice to meet you, I also told him how you had an answer for everything I would try to do. and by the way thanks for mopping the floor with me! :thumbsup: If I am ever in Raleigh I will definitely come train with you, thanks again

Next time your in chucktown, we will see you again, maybe get the families together?
  • DirtyrancherDirtyrancher Posts: 4,493

How about this, someone man the f*** up, go to his school and confront the guy. Quit being a bunch of whiny ass bitches and create a FIVE PAGE POST ABOUT IT!

If you're so enraged and appalled by this guy GO TO HIS SCHOOL AND TALK TO HIM LIKE A MAN INSTEAD OF POSTING ON HERE LIKE A b****.

...They did talk to him. Directly. And asked questions. Directly. And got 'instruction.' Directly. You can't get more direct than going to the school and taking a class... It was stated that when asked about who he got his belt from, he changed the topic of conversation.

But, seriously. They spoke to him face to face... They aren't just complaining on the internet as you say. This all has merit behind it.
    I *think* what FEDLEO is saying is the context of the conversation and directness wasn't there. Meaning, instead of having an informal conversation where you are chit chatting, under the pretext of dropping by for a lesson, is to go in under the context of exposure, and directly say "I think you are either a fraud or portraying to be a BJJ black belt, but I don't think you are. I'd like to know exactly what your BJJ training history is."

I *think* what FEDLEO is saying is the context of the conversation and directness wasn't there. Meaning, instead of having an informal conversation where you are chit chatting, under the pretext of dropping by for a lesson, is to go in under the context of exposure, and directly say "I think you are either a fraud or portraying to be a BJJ black belt, but I don't think you are. I'd like to know exactly what your BJJ training history is."
    Hmm, yes, maybe that is what he meant. I could have easily misinterpreted it. The point is, in my opinion, is that even if you were just 'chit-chatting' and you pull up a question like, 'Who did you get your belt from?' or anything along those lines it should be an easy, one name, a few name answer. Even if it was informal.

Heck, if I had a legit black belt in BJJ I'd be chomping at the bit about lineage and how accomplished I was. Just an opinion of course. I feel like the formality shouldn't matter. It was a one-and-done, straight forward question.

EDIT: Then again, if you went up to him and said 'I think you are a fraud, now who did you get belts from?' Where would that get you? It could easily be turned on you if he got defensive. As in, 'you are a head-hunter, get out.' The question could be deflected further.

But, yeah. I might have got his post a bit mixed up, but eh. Happens.
  • SavageKitsuneSavageKitsune Posts: 1,623

You have nooooooooooo idea :rofl:
    I always joke if I gave up bjj, I would still go to class for the comic relief :lol:

Im still not sure im going to be able to handle Kurt and Billy in the same room together :shock:

Nothing is off limits at our school.. the shenanigans are legendary :mosh:
    Two words- silver pants.
    edited August 2012
    Let me offer another piece of info.

This is partly a little bit of guessing on my part from what ive heard, but part of the reason they were not a LOT more confrontational, was because there was nothing but young kids at the class that night.

I find it funny, that veghead ends up writing the nicest, classiest, most tongue biting review of a fraud ive ever seen, and catches shit for "Being an asshole" :roll:

Now their catching shit for not being confrontational and direct enough????

You cant win huh???

Personally I think the BJJ community needs to grow a pair, because it seems we have lost them (pardon my sexist reference). If people in the bjj community defend a fraud this obvious, we have problems. I think I know what the gracies would have done... no questions bullshit, we already know the answer to those.... LETS ROLL, straight up dojo raid time.
    Exactly what I was thinking Jack. Call him out: you're an asshole. Be respectful: you're a pussy.
    I have people in my gym all the time and I've always talked to them out in the open and answered any questions about my lineage quickly and forthrightly (even if I mistrusted their motives). And, I've always been willing to roll with any of them unless I was injured.
    And, the LAST person you should refer to as a whiny bitch who wastes time is Billy. I guarantee he spends a lot less time on the internets and more time training than you do, Fed. He only came here to put in his two cents
    Look guys, I ain't defending this teacher or really taking sides on anything.

But, after reading 5 pages of this stuff, the one thing I haven't seen is where this Paredes actually *said* to someone that he had a "brazilian" jiu jitsu blackbelt. If he did say it to one of you guys, then actually say that he did. Cause that's where most of this argument is stemming from. It's not on their webpage, it's not on the FB page, and the closest I've seen to him not coming up with an answer was the question from John I think where he asked where or who he got his black belt (not BJJ black belt) from.

Did he say he was a BJJ black belt to anyone? (and no reason to flame me, I'm calm as can be, and just asking the question).

See, I was skewed at first thinking this guy was misrepresenting because part of the title of the thread was "Paredes BJJ", and the first three paragraphs of the OP's post says stuff about a BJJ blackbelt. But their site doesn't say he is one, and no one has posted that he said he was, or was actually asked that particular question... asked who or where he got a "black belt" from yes, but not a BJJ blackbelt.

With the info presented, my 100% assumption is, he took some bjj classes, took some judo classes, and probably some other stuff, and came up with his own style and gave himself a black belt... but that's pure guess based on his website, and what vegehead had to offer. That's my guess. Shit happens all the time, and there are no laws against it. Some guys are legit in the sense that do it, and some aren't. As a consumer when presented with his site, that's what I would assume, even with the hybrid stuff, I wouldn't have assumed he was a BJJ black belt, but some guy that knew something about it. Why? cause I was interested in martial arts at a young age, but unlike a lot of people knew the difference between japan, china and korea. When I was in junior high wishing my parents would let me go to a school, I already thought it was fishy if someone had a "black belt" in kung fu.

If you want to see an interesting site, check out:
    http://www.internationaljujitsu.com/ran ... ation.html

While I don't think a lot of people register for this site, it does list some heavy hitters who came out with their own styles... including the gracies, bruce lee, etc. On the flip side, there are guys who can't fight out of the box, nor teach anyone to. But say I started Dirtyrancher Jiu Jitsu, there aren't any Dirtyrancher Jiu Jitsu belt retailers out there, so I'd either have to buy a japanese or brazilian jiu jitsu belt to wear.

So, regarding the following:
    1) wearing a BJJ style black belt - ok my white and blue belts are judo belts, I don't know what my purple belt is but doesn't have the bjj bar, my brown belt is a bjj style belt. My former instructor (also Jacks) had several black belts he used, some were not BJJ belts. Some were Japanese, but if asked directly, he wouldn't say he was a Japanese Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt or Judo Blackbelt. I'm telling you in the old days, the shit that was worn, we looked like bums, we had these awful judo gis, the rest of the guys didn't match colors, we looked like shit.

2) The GB pants, man, budojake trains at GB, and they allowed that stuff to be sold online. I even walked into an open mat that was not affiliated with GB (and I was a GB guy) and their loaner gi was a GB gi, did I care, no, but I laughed and asked where the guy got it, and it was at a thrift store I believe.

3) Jiu Jitsu spelling is only for brazilian, no. I'm not going to list all the books I found, but here's one that looks like a good read: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Kano-Jiu ... itsu+books

All I was saying was FEDLEO felt that the OP went in to figure out if the guy was a fraud, but acted like he was there to take classes. That's how I read it too, and unfortunately, when you read you don't get the whole context... ie. Billy's post read like he was upset, but for all I know, he was laughing his ass off writing it.

Anyway, to me, know one even has to go down there and do anything, hell, even I can do this one if I'm not busy working. Pick up the phone, ask the owner or the guy if they teach BJJ, then ask if the instructor has a certified "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blackbelt", then if the answer is yes, ask where he got it from.

If there is no answer, then I'd assume it's bunk, and it's fraud city.

Unless one of you actually heard him say he had one and didn't answer, ask Vegehead or John if they actually asked if the guy where he got his "brazilian jiu jitsu black belt" from, or if they asked where he got his "black belt" from.

Cause if he did give himself a Parades Jiu Jitsu black belt, then sure, he'd likely deflect if he thought they were pressing him for BJJ black belt info and didn't want to reveal he didn't have one.

It is unfortunate that non-legit fighting systems with new "masters" arise, but on the flip side, a lot of good systems wouldn't arise either.

If he actually said to one of you that he has a bjj blackbelt, and he doesn't that to me stinks. If he ends up saying it's his own system which is a hybrid and he gave it to himself, then that's technically legit, I just think he should work on some better moves before putting them out there, and if he doesn't know shit, then it's a disservice. If he is teaching a hybrid, to me it does not equal meaning he has a BJJ black belt. Hell, I "taught BJJ" as a purple belt.

Anyway, if damage was to be inflicted, the job's probably done one way or another since this will soon show up at the top of a google search.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Interested to see how it unfolds.
    When you write a post stating your intentions were for a "Friendly visit to another school" and you're not trying to "embarrass or humiliate anyone". Then you come on here, write a negative review of the guy and talk shit about him on Facebook. The write-up doesn't appear honest and that's where I have issue.

I wouldn't have had an issue if the OP would have come on here, wrote a scathing review of the guy and would have left out all the "niceties". But instead he came on here trying to sell like it was a nice visit and he didn't have any bad intentions, which wasn't the case. Then add the full support of the local business competition (Team R.O.C.) instructors/students coming on here to support the claim. It seems like this was more of a business move than a "take care of the BJJ community" move. This is the perception of someone that has no vested interest in your area.

Honestly, how many people that are interested in training BJJ are going to go to a Shotokan Karate School instead of a BJJ Academy?

Also, how many of the alleged BB students were there for only the Hybrid class? I would venture to guess 99% were students of the Karate school and just hopped into the Hybrid class.
    Just a side note, everytime you post, I think it's actually Wanderlei posting, or that you look exactly like him in real life.
    When you write a post stating your intentions were for a "Friendly visit to another school" and you're not trying to "embarrass or humiliate anyone". Then you come on here, write a negative review of the guy and talk s*** about him on Facebook. The write-up doesn't appear honest and that's where I have issue.
    By this logic, consumer reports is an evil magazine and organization with ill intentions out to embarrass everyone anytime they write a bad review?

If an honest review is negative, it must mean the reviewer is an evil bastard, is that it???

From what ive heard, without all the sugar coating, the review was OVERLY NICE and positive. I would have been a lot more straight forward and called a spade a spade.
    I think the Fed is saying, if the guy said, "I went in to the place to call a spade a spade" and wrote the same review, then it's all good. That's what I see anyway. Unless, Veghead actually just wanted a lesson and that's it, but it didn't read that way, at least to me... again hard to get context from type sometimes.

Consumer reports is supposed to weed out good from bad, and that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

But, I'll stay out of it, I may not know what either of you are really thinking.
    I've said my piece.

If you don't have a vested interest or are emotionally tied to the OP, my points make sense.

I hope someone on Team R.O.C actually takes the time to find out if this guy has ever stated or claimed to be a BJJ Black Belt before ruining his reputation, business and life.

This isn't just a business decision for Team R.O.C., but a life and business decision that involves another human being.
    I would not have had a problem if he wore a traditional Black Belt (sans red bar) but to believe he is not trying to pass himself off is willful ignorance. To say, "I trained in Braziian Jiu-jitsu, I teach Jiu-Jitsu" and to wear a belt SPECIFIC to BJJ (yes some BBs wear traditional Black Belts but ONLY BJJ BBs wear ours) is fraud, leaving out all the other things he does to make himself seem like a BJJ BB (even promoting along BJJ belt ranks)
    Again, if you're wearing fatigues and Ranger Tabs, then you can't claim that you are in the navy (when pressed) and just happen to be wearing Army fatigues and created your own Tab that is exactly the same as the Ranger tab and you can't see why anyone would get confused.
    And, this is not a business thing. We support the HELL out of other schools way more successful than his that are in our area. We send people to Pendergrass or SaundersBJJ or TriangleBJJ all the time because they are legit!!
    Let me say that again so you can maybe comprehend. We give business to them ALL THE TIME because we respect the twins, Kyle and Seth tremendously.
    What we're concerned about is people who think they're learning JJ and are going to get hurt and blame it on JJ if they ever have to use it