Defense Soap?
  • stillwaters
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,292
    OK...so I'm just coming off a staph/MRSA infection in my face (cultures not back yet). Thankfully the antibiotics worked--I'm trying (really hard) not to let this scare me off grappling. Especially since I know the stuff lives everywhere.

The whole ordeal got me rethinking my cleaning regimen. Right now I use KS Skin Creme (Kenshield) on all exposed skin before class. Afterward, I use Hibiclens only if a wound is open and Dial antibacterial, hair to toe, on everything else. I use hand sanitizer on my face, neck, arms and legs after training (since I drive home immediately afterward). I'm thinking of switching to DefenseSoap's foam, wipes and body wash. Any input?
  • bma_mat
    224.00 KarmaPMPosts: 10,958
    God... I swear this whole overcleaning thing is what causes the bacterial infections and fungus infections.

I don't do anything before training. I come back from training, take a shower, that's it.

And I swear, it's mostly the cleansy people who are paranoid and overclean that seem to get there things. All the dirtiest guys I know never have trouble with skin infections.

• stillwaters
    Sure seems that way...though I think I know what caused it (a different medical issue).

Still, that's the reason I'm looking to switch to defense soap...the ingredients are less likely to be adding to the development of superbugs.

• Relentless
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 536
    I agree. I'm such a clean person and stuff, yet I've had two different mat nasties since I started.

I use Defense Soap after almost every class in the shower as a bar soap. I did get something while using it, but that hasn't knocked me from using it.

IMO, I use it just for peace of mind. Knowing that I'm using an anti-bacterial anti-fungal etc, soap makes me feel cleaner.

So, I'm on the fence about it. I've come to the conclusion that you can't totally avoid this kind of stuff, and some people [me] are more prone to it, or more unlucky.

• stillwaters
    It's funny...2 years in and no problems. All of a sudden...bam. Staph. The only thing I'd changed is a prescription I was taking (for something non-BJJ related), so I'm inclined to think that's what did it.

I'm going to drop the anti-bacterial soap altogether.

• Defense Soap
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 33
    Stillwaters,

If you shoot me your name and address in an email at defensesoap@msn.com I will send you some samples and I will email you some very important articles on prevention and flora.

When people say they are too clean what they really are saying is that their normal skin flora has been depleted.  You normal skin flora is a layer of bacteria and sometimes fungus that act as a protective layer against infection.  My paper on flora explains this and why it is important for combat athletes.

Guy
    Defense Soap

• TonyHubris
    3.00 KarmaPMPosts: 496
    Rickson Gracie... I swear this whole overcleaning thing is what causes the bacterial infections and fungus infections.

I don't do anything before training. I come back from training, take a shower, that's it.

And I swear, it's mostly the cleansy people who are paranoid and overclean that seem to get there things. All the dirtiest guys I know never have trouble with skin infections.

I agree, and as the Defense Soap rep says - your natural flora acts as a natural barrier to dangerous bacteria/fungi - which are ALWAYS EVERYWHERE. Your body is covered in staph and ringworm and all kinds of things - your natural flora keep these things in check. I think constant use of prescription strength anti-bacterial soaps available OTC (not Defense Soap, which only uses anti-bacterial/fungul ingredients naturally found in nature) is similar to people misusing antibiotics and creating super strains of staph/MRSA - but not on such an extreme level. With the anti-bacterial cleansers (which usually contain triclosan - if they do stop using them) you're killing everything on your skin, even the beneficial stuff.

I think that unless you're fighting some type of infection, or are prone to skin issues - you probably shouldn't be using the strong stuff. I have defense soap, but I'm saving it for the day I think I might have some type of skin infection, which has yet to happen.

Unfortunately I don't feel like finding the science to back up my idea - so take please take my POV with a grain of salt! And I'd like a follow-up if that's possible, I'm interested in how these things end up panning out. Thanks.

• Relentless
    The article was pretty helpful.

I think I'll cool it on scrubbing down multiple times after BJJ, just go once with the Defense Soap, not three times. xD

• slideyfoot
    16.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,124
    I've been happy with Defense Soap (Guy keeps his promises when it comes to sending samples: my review here), but I'm not sure how much I can say it has actively helped, as I've not had any problems with skin infections etc in the five years I've been training.

However, in researching that review on the net, I did come across a lot of people who have had major problems with skin infections, which were apparently resolved by the soap.

• gspmmafan
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 359
    I agree. I'm such a clean person and stuff, yet I've had two different mat nasties since I started.

I use Defense Soap after almost every class in the shower as a bar soap. I did get something while using it, but that hasn't knocked me from using it.

IMO, I use it just for peace of mind. Knowing that I'm using an anti-bacterial anti-fungal etc, soap makes me feel cleaner.

So, I'm on the fence about it. I've come to the conclusion that you can't totally avoid this kind of stuff, and some people [me] are more prone to it, or more unlucky.

I use defense soap and am fighting with my first skin infection right now. I have been using the soap for a long time and love the stuff. I blame myself more for the skin problem right now than anything. I do a kickboxing class at my gym than sit around for an hour until my bjj class starts than have to drive home. I used to eat dinner and relax a bit before showering so in total it would be like 4 or more hours since I started sweating before I would shower. Once this skin infection is gone I will be using defense soap wipes after kickboxing and showering before anything else when I get home. I am lucky it was just molluscum and not staph or mrsa though.

• Relentless

I use defense soap and am fighting with my first skin infection right now. I have been using the soap for a long time and love the stuff. I blame myself more for the skin problem right now than anything. I do a kickboxing class at my gym than sit around for an hour until my bjj class starts than have to drive home. I used to eat dinner and relax a bit before showering so in total it would be like 4 or more hours since I started sweating before I would shower. Once this skin infection is gone I will be using defense soap wipes after kickboxing and showering before anything else when I get home. I am lucky it was just molluscum and not staph or mrsa though.

I just use the body soap for the shower. I've had two skin infections, one before Defense Soap and one after. Ringworm was before and that's what MADE me get something like this for after class.
    Then I got...urgh....mat herpes...I'm not exactly sure if D.S could have done anything regarding that seeing as it is a virus.

It sucks because the virus stays with you, but regarding the ringworm I haven't had any problems with that since D.S.

But yes, honestly, both those things are SO much better than staph or MRSA. Herpes and ringworm aren't exactly fatal, and honestly only need a pill or some topical cream to speed up it's healing.

I'd recommend D.S any day, just for the peace of mind it allows me. Although, it does dry itself out so I keep it rolled up in tissues after each use. Keeps it much more hydrated.

And although people complain about getting used to the smell, I actually like it.

I just pray that I stay skin problem free for a while.

• Freezing Winds
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 381

Then I got...urgh....mat herpes...I'm not exactly sure if D.S could have done anything regarding that seeing as it is a virus.

ouch! weren't you the one that had the parents who were going to make you quit if you got cauliflower ear?

• Relentless

ouch! weren't you the one that had the parents who were going to make you quit if you got cauliflower ear?

Haha, yeah. But that just turned out to be my headphones making my ears ache because they were too small.

They obviously don't like the fact that I caught this stuff, but they see how much I love it and don't take it too far.

• double r
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 516
    From day one of training, I've either used Defense Soap or Athletic Body Care. Both are excellent products. Guy really is a standup guy. He promised to send a sample and he did. Thankfully I have never had an infection after close to 3 years of training. Maybe it's the soap, maybe I am not prone to skin infections. I will continue to use both religiously. One more reason to tell people the importance of hygiene.
    1. Wash your gi (including your belt) everytime you train.
    2. Try to shower as soon as possible.
    3. Stay thirsty, my friends.

• Freezing Winds
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 381

Haha, yeah. But that just turned out to be my headphones making my ears ache because they were too small.

They obviously don't like the fact that I caught this stuff, but they see how much I love it and don't take it too far.

damn, sorry about that

where on your body did you get it and what were you wearing (like gi or rashguard)
    -did you get it on a spot that you usually have covered over with clothing or was it skin to mat/other person

• Relentless

damn, sorry about that

where on your body did you get it and what were you wearing (like gi or rashguard)
    -did you get it on a spot that you usually have covered over with clothing or was it skin to mat/other person

I got it on my lower cheek, near my jaw. I was wearing a t shirt and gi pants, but those don't go over my face so....

• stillwaters
    That's it. I'm contact this guy for the number of his tailor...

• stillwaters
    I was joking, but now I find myself shopping for one of these things...

• billiniraqbilliniraq
    468.00 KarmaPMPosts: 2,092
    Gold VIP Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is some of the funniest s hit I have seen in a long time! Moreover...he won. That's what makes it so funny.

I can just see me telling all my friends...I just got beat by spiderman. That's right...Spiderman does BJJ!
    I just kept getting my ass kicked until one day I wasn't getting my ass kicked.

• stillwaters

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is some of the funniest s hit I have seen in a long time! Moreover...he won. That's what makes it so funny.

I can just see me telling all my friends...I just got beat by spiderman. That's right...Spiderman does BJJ!

Did you catch the cartwheel?

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    983.00 KarmaPMPosts: 17,612
    Platinum VIP Member
    BJJLIFE guys can suck my balls. F*** those guys.
    I spend hours cleaning up their CRAPPY SPAM.
    Took forever to get rid of them here and their constant spamming :cuss:
    Im still pissed about how many hours of my life I had to spend deleting all their CRAP here :cuss:

/rant over

Oh and PS - he had his ankles crossed BIG TIME during that RNC.
    Rookie mistake in the advanced division? :roll:
    Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store

• ebalcewich
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 105
    Just laying on the couch with my left leg elevated due to a nasty staph infection. I have gone 7 years without anything, and now it hits. In retrospect, I keep my stuff clean and shower after every class. Also, our club and mats are extra clean new style mats with antimicrobial treatment.

So this started as a pimple on Saturday, then on Sunday, the tissue under my knee inflamed and looked like another kneecap, on Monday, all down my leg and excruciating pain.

Went to Hospital and they started aggressive treatment of antibiotics right away.

I will do intravenous for 4 days with oral doses. and today it is about 40% better than yesterday.

My understanding is that with our sport, no matter how clean you and your club are, bacteria and gi burns, skin abrasions, gashes etc are going to find each other.

So all that is left now is to kill time on the couch reading this sites postings.

Keep on rolling my brothers and sisters.

• Eric
    36.00 KarmaPMPosts: 657
    Stillwaters,

If you shoot me your name and address in an email at defensesoap@msn.com I will send you some samples and I will email you some very important articles on prevention and flora.

When people say they are too clean what they really are saying is that their normal skin flora has been depleted.  You normal skin flora is a layer of bacteria and sometimes fungus that act as a protective layer against infection.  My paper on flora explains this and why it is important for combat athletes.

Guy
    Defense Soap

Now I am curious, lol. I sent you an email, please respond when you can. Thank you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion