Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

In this Discussion

Saulo Ribeiro's new Jiu Jitsu University in San Diego

jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
edited October 2007 in Jiu Jitsu Discussion
Was listening to the fightworks pod cast with Saulo's interview. #52

At his new school, on top of jiu jitsu, you have to learn its history, enough portuguese to understand all the moves/commands in that language, gymnastica natural, the gracie family, etc.

He said if a purple belt comes to his school, he will get a WHITE BELT, with a purple stripe on it to signify he is only a purple belt on the mat :shock: and a white belt in everything else. Whoa.

I wonder how many people will get turned off by this. Getting a purple belt is a lot of work and big accomplishment, it would be hard biting that bullet and putting a white belt back on for some people.

He says competition is only a small part of jiu jitsu. He is taking the "jiu jitsu is your whole life" approach it seems.

He says the university doesnt carry a flag. He is only allowing 80 people in, and shutting the doors. Then a wait list starts. This is completely seperate from is SRJJA association.

Oral and written tests are given every 3 months. :ahh:

Comments

• jackjitsujackjitsu Posts: 19,353
    Also, you cant just walk in and sign up. You have to know someone and get a referral.

Saulo doesnt want to deal with politics. If you want to come and are part of another school, you have to get a signature from your current teacher :shock:

Will be interesting to see how his school does. Its so different from everything else around here.
  • CFPMMACFPMMA Posts: 559
    hmmm, he must really think it's gonna be booming... i find that unlikely however. Good luck w/ him...
  • vanguardvanguard Posts: 743
    I think it's bullshit. One of the things I really like about BJJ is that it's performance focused. If he's going to start grading people on the unimpressive adulterous lifestyle of the gracie family then he's an idiot. The gracies are impressive fighters but as people I wouldn't want them in my life. I don't care about their family tree, all their wives, Portuguese, etc. This is the kind of crap that's ruined every other martial art.

I'd stick at a school that focuses on mat performance.
  • CFPMMACFPMMA Posts: 559
    wait, what? what's ur deal w/ the Gracie family ?
    wait, what? what's ur deal w/ the Gracie family ?
    You must be new to the way the Gracie men treat women.

Playboy interview: http://www.blackbeltdigitalvideo.com/He ... ews43.html

Family tree: http://www.gracieseminars.com/GracieFamilyTree.htm

In a nutshell, these guys are bullies and they don't have much respect for women. They also developed what I think is the single best fighting style against untrained people. Still, I wouldn't let them near my daughter and I wouldn't turn them into gods.
    reposted from nhbgear.com about misconceptions of SD Saulo school:

"I was asked to respond to some of the misconceptions being discussed online about Saulo's new school in SanDiego. I'll try to remember all that were told to me yesterday, but I definately remember the major ones.

1) Portugeuse lessons: There's not really lessons per se. It's been counting in Portugeuse during warm-up drills, and addressing common postions in class (pass guard, arm lock, etc.). The rationale behind this is threefold, to learn the native language of the art you are studying, to be able to understand your opponent's coachs in a tournament and to be able to understand your own coach in a tournament (so you can be instructed in a way opponent may not understand).

2) Starting at white belt. This still has not taken effect, but the idea was everyone wears the white belt with a colored stripe of their true belt. The reason for this is no disrespect to previous instructors, but to evaluate skill and technique based on the system structure Saulo is implementing. No one will compete as a white belt (except the true white belts of course), but at their original belt color. This whole thing seems to be more of an effort to address some questionable belt ranks, rather than single people out and possibly demote them, a way to say let's look at the technical abilities of all the students.

3) Required classes. The classes are required more to allow proper progress (and thus promotion) do to exposure to the components (Ginastica and Judo) Saulo feels essential to supplementing BJJ. If you cannot make a class there is no attendence or punishment, it's a guideline. If you want to progress in what Saulo believes is the optimal pattern, then you follow the program. If you don't want to, you are not being forced.

4) Money. Perhaps the biggest most controversial subject, and this number is my own commentary. People have said Saulo's motive for "demoting" people to white belt is to get rich off of belt testing, raking in cash for every stripe and belt color. Well, since there is NO FEE for belt testing that should be the end of that conspiracy theory. Also the membership fees are highly disputed by some. First, the postives are there is NO registration fee (and 2 schools I visited in SD have a $150 reg. fee so this could be a big deal), and there is no drop in fee either. Alot of schools charge $30 or $40 for a one class fee, no fee at Saulo's. And $190 a month, as steep as it seems, is for instruction of both Saulo and Xande. I don't think there is anyone with 6 Mundial gold medals and 2 ADCC titles (as well as a 2nd and 3rd place). So why Saulo shouldn't ask $30-$50 more than other instructors who have never won any major world titles is beyond me. But to further address the montly fees, it includes THREE arts: Judo, Ginastica Natural, and BJJ (gi and n-gi). Check out the school, over $20,000 was put into building 2 competition, spring loaded (not spare tires under plywood), brand new tatame, mat spaces. Walls too, had to be re-inforced and mated. If $190 is still undoable, I would suggest asking if you could get a lower price for BJJ alone and explain your circumstances. "
    Check this out. Looks like Roy Harris has some written testing as well
    http://www.royharris.com/articles/?sec=6&id=1024
    I have no problem with the price. It's steep but like they said, he's not a normal instructor so it makes sense for him to charge more.

The language thing seems reasonable too but I'm still not a fan. In my school we learn a lot of take downs and that means we do some Judo. I swear I'd understand Judo so much better if the move was called, "Inner leg sweep" instead of ogi nagi (or whatever it's called). I love that 90% of BJJ moves are descriptive. Shoulder lock, arm bar, knee bar, etc. Great names. Oma plata sucky name

Teach it in my language please, it's helps me learn.

Regarding the belts, if it's a problem I'm glad he's addressing it. My school has more sand baggers than false promotions so I haven't experienced it. I just don't like the history lesson. Maybe I favor more of an MMA type of school that focuses on "whatever works" instead of a full school that focuses on history, language, and mat skill.
    "Oral and written tests are given every 3 months. " :ahh:

A bit much I think. People are so busy these days they barely have time to make it to jiu jitsu class. The last thing I need is homework I have to study for. Thats why I graduated college after all. No more tests and homework! :lol:
  • BirdmanBirdman Posts: 414
    actually his prices have gone down.. I checked him out about 1.5 months ago and it was 150.00 a month unlimited classes in bjj and judo and his gi price was 150.00... he is also a brown belt in judo.. it did not seem like he was sticking to his original plans..
    actually his prices have gone down.. I checked him out about 1.5 months ago and it was 150.00 a month unlimited classes in bjj and judo and his gi price was 150.00... he is also a brown belt in judo.. it did not seem like he was sticking to his original plans..
    Interesting... I guess market forces over ruled his plans. I guess even Saulo couldnt charge a huge premium and make his students "go to school". :mrgreen:
  • i think this is the type of school for the more hard-core fighter, somebody who sees BJJ as a lifestyle, like the Gracies, and is into doing all the tournaments like the Pan-Ams and Mundials, or someone who fights in UFC, Pride, King of the Cage and wants the upper hand when on the ground. as far the belts go, i honestly could care less if i was a brown or black belt with a white belt there. if im that advanced you can take away my belt but ill still steamroll mofos all day long.
  • jiujitsunoobjiujitsunoob Posts: 3,274
    The rationale behind this is threefold, to learn the native language of the art you are studying,
    Statements like this are total bull shit though.
    Native Language depends upon how far you want to go back.
    As far as recorded history goes then you would need to learn Spartan! which from the movie sounded a LOT like English :lol: :lol:
  • exileexile Posts: 87
    The rationale behind this is threefold, to learn the native language of the art you are studying,

Statements like this are total bull s*** though.
    Native Language depends upon how far you want to go back.
    As far as recorded history goes then you would need to learn Spartan! which from the movie sounded a LOT like English :lol: :lol:
  • techniquetechnique Posts: 202
    I'm not fond of this idea for several reasons.

I don't mind the belt, and cultural aspects of the program. And yes, I agree with Vanguard - the Gracies are your typical, fairly weathly, jerkoffs. But damn are they good fighters.

1. The Oral, and written as well as physical testing is ludicrous. I'm at school all week, if not attending classes then I'm in the library studying. I sure as hell don't need this in my face.

JiuJitsu is my way, as many of you can relate to (i'm sure), of relaxing and getting away. People smoke weed, well, I roll. I don't need any more stress on top of everything else, please. You working folks there, I know you don't want this either.

2. Only let 80 People in? Is this some type of Private Club? Why don't we just form a cult.

3. Required classes - There are good days, and then there are bad days. On bad days I feel like crud on the bottom of someone's shoes. I don't want to go to training. This seems like overkill on the commitment. I know, this is the best way to do it, but in reality we all have stuff to do and we're breaking our backs as it is just to make time for 2-3 classes of Jiu Jitsu during the week. Anyone agree here?
  • bma_matbma_mat Posts: 11,964
    I disagree on number 2. If he wants to make it private entree only, he has all the right to do so. It's his place.
    edited October 2007
    SP: (entry)

bma_mat wrote:
    I disagree on number 2. If he wants to make it private entree only, he has all the right to do so. It's his place.

He doesn't own the University of San Diego (USD). In my perspective, the only reason why he concocted such an idea in the first place is to make it seem more prestigious, private, privileged. You know how it goes.
    But since he's teaching there, he has every right to establish a rule like that, whether people like it or not. Just my oppinion.
    SP: Opinion
    But since he's teaching there, he has every right to establish a rule like that, whether people like it or not. Just my oppinion.
    Of course he can, but why does he want to? It seems that the business aspect of Jiu Jitsu is growing more and more every day.

But this where it's not logical, if people don't like it, they won't come. Is his wife going to bring home the bacon and start feeding the family?
    SP: Opinion
    Of course he can, but why does he want to? It seems that the business aspect of Jiu Jitsu is growing more and more every day.

But this where it's not logical, if people don't like it, they won't come. Is his wife going to bring home the bacon and start feeding the family?
    Just to make it more elite :P
    "Elite"
    Man, I totally said that!

"...prestigious, private, privileged..."
    Same thing isn't it?

You know what I think Elite would be? How about owning a nice 1000 sq feet of indoor, high ceiling, properly ventilated space for training...next to my house. Dedicate half to mat area and other half for MT training, cardio, etc.

Then, he can come to my house and train me...I don't even have to start the car up.

Now THAT's elite. I will keep dreaming :mrgreen: