• Breeze
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 977
    So after some recent discussion of fighters' quotes, I thought this deserved its own thread...

Post and add your own!

“A black belt only covers two inches of your a**. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

“You know, I just went from the barstool to the Octagon.” - Tank Abbott
  • Breeze
    "If we fight for money, I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

• kuangren
    18.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,404
    "It's only gay if you make eye contact." -(Anyone know who said this first?)

• moxsum
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 369
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle. - Rickson

• sfpsb10
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 532

never heard that before but that is a great quote

• xfiles
    5.00 KarmaPMPosts: 843
    When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim. - RCJ Machado

• Breeze
    If size mattered, Roger Gracie would win the absolute division. -Me

• engineer
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 171
    "...grappling happens, there's no getting around it. It just does."
    Eric Knaus aka Top Dog

"I want a girl that spends more time on her back than Royce Gracie."
    Unknown :ditto:

"A black belt is a white belt who never quits!"
    Renzo Gracie

• JRT6
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 3

Other than man what predator does the adult elephant have to fear in the jungle?

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    838.00 KarmaPMPosts: 17,343
    Platinum VIP Member

Other than man what predator does the adult elephant have to fear in the jungle?

Just watched a video the other day on TV where a pride of lions took down an elephant. First time ever seen
    Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store

• steelduck
    3.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,487
    Propably a few hundred billion ants could do it also, but not a single one. I doubt a single lion could do it either.

• STFUjiujitsu
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 90
    Kinda derived from a racing quote but...

"A match isn't always to the fastest or strongest but to the one that can keep on going"

• jadonblade
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 235

A mouse!

They can crawl into their trunks, thats why elephants go ballistic at them. IT could be an urban myth but I always liked the idea.

• Glen
    3.00 KarmaPMPosts: 472
    I like Royce's quote: You put the Devil on the other side and I will come to fight.

Or Helio: A knock out is an accidental win

Ken Shamrock: If I get a hold of something, I'm gonna break it

Vanderlei Silva: I promise violence

Bas Rutten: You won't be UFC champion, but you will know pain

Gandhi: Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence

• jiujutsu_squirrel
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 173
    not really a jiujitsu quote, but still good
    "only a warrior chooses pacifism, others are condemned to it"
    -dont know

• Breeze
    on a related note my BJJ instructor (who is doing his PhD in philosophy) suggests that if I ever meet a pacifist, I should punch him in the face. If he reacts - he's going against his beliefs. Or someone who says there is no such thing as morality - punch them in the face and say it's the same as if you gave them a kiss.

• JTRAMPAS
    4.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,045
    heres a few,

"take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back"
    - samurai maxim

"victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price"
    - sun tzu

" if a man does his best, what else is there?"
    - george s patton

" it does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop"
    - confucius

• fanatic4hockey
    6.00 KarmaPMPosts: 230
    "A boxer is like a lion, the greatest predator on land. But you throw him in the shark tank and he's just another meal." - Renzo Gracie

• jessewilliamson
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 283
    Renzo- "I was doing this while BJ was in his fathers nutsack."

Not really BJJ, but still funny.

• blackjack
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 301
    “I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me... but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch.”

Ty Cobb.

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting. "

• clinzy
    7.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,946
    Last year, I printed a calendar to hang at work and track my training. I put a BJJ quote at the bottom of each month. Most are ones I either made up myself or have heard yelled at tournaments. Here's the list:

Give him the ugly face! (I bet Jack recognizes that one!)
    He who relaxes gets his guard passed.
    Tap today, train tomorrow.
    Pressure. Preesssssuuuuurrrrre.
    We only choke the ones we love.
    Armbars - they do a body good.
    Baby Jesus, er, JIU JITSU is for every one! (This is because of some crap someone at work was giving me about not being a Christian.)
    Pass dat mayn's gward!
    Take down, pass, mount, submit.

I can't find the file with the actual calendar in it, and I'm working from home today. I'll post the rest once I can look at the calendar tomorrow. It's time to make a new one anyway.

• Amave
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,158
    " I believe intelligence and fear are very close together, guys say " oh i'm not afraid of anything " he's stupid he's silly for me ,you know it's something that does not fit in my mentality , " don't be afraid " i'm afraid of everything"

-Rickson Gracie from the documentary "Choke "

• andy-barker
    12.00 KarmaPMPosts: 108
    Posture Up!!!!!!!!

• Andrew
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 58
    "I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in two eyes for an eye"- Unknown

• joshgates81
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 292
    "I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in two eyes for an eye"- Unknown

...that ones bas rutten

---

"that sweep, all the time on every kid in the kids class"

"whatever kind of guard this is, some kind of animal or insect , umm not even a big deal."

"look how relaxed i am, that just shows you the level of comfort, theres nothing he can do, even if he was sparring in a competition full speed for his life, my arm is trapped and it doesnt even matter, i dont even know what choke he wants to do"

"I wanna see if theres anything he can do to knock me down... NOPE"

-ryron on rolling reflections

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Platinum VIP Member

Give him the ugly face! (I bet Jack recognizes that one!)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
    Support JJF with a premium account, and get access to signatures and avatars. Click on the JJF STORE http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/store

• colivieri
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 288
    "slow is good"

"feel the power of the shrimping"

"believe in your chokes"

I tell that to the new guys all the time!! :D

and we have some varieties of the following all the time:
    "believe in your technique... if you go all strength all the time, you'll get tired and loose.... if you go fast all the time, you'll get tired and loose... be technical all the time, and you'll win"

• spk
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 191
    Not about bjj, but I like it.

"I love the smell of Napam in the morning! Smells like victory!!"

• ApeMan
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 436
    "A Tri-ahn-gle is a Tri-ahn-gle is a Tri-ahn-gle"

My master always says it, you kinda have to do it in a Brazilian accent for the full effect.

• Ybot
    2.00 KarmaPMPosts: 912
    Gold VIP Member
    "Jiu-Jitsu is like tight jeans"

Margarida

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Platinum VIP Member
    :lol: I got to roll with Margarida twice. Al I can say is DAAAAAAAAYUUUUUUM :ahh:

The pressure was insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane :faint:

Remember... this is the guy that out classed Saulo in his prime. :shock:

• Ybot
    2.00 KarmaPMPosts: 912
    Gold VIP Member
    I've heard so many stories of Margarida. The guy is crazy!!!

Cassio was talking about him the other day. He said when he was in Brazil in 2004 (I think) he was talking about Marcelo Garcia, and Roger Gracie, and Terere with a bunch of black belts, and the consensus among them was that they would all rather compete against any of those guys rather than Margarida. Margarida was scary! :shock:

• Bushido5150
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 152
    "I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me"
    Archilocus, 650 B.C

• Beast
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 74
    If you think, you're late. If you're late, you muscle. If you muscle, you get tired. If you're tired, you die. When you die is when you tap. (Saulo Ribeiro)

probably my favorite jiu-jitsu quote.

• ApeMan
    "Dont fear the man who practices 10,000 kicks once, fear the man who practices one kick 10,000 times" - Bruce Lee

Not jiu jitsu but kinda applicable, my no-gi coach hit me with a guillotine like 7 or 8 times tonight...guess he practiced the shit out of it

• stevebuyshouses
    511.00 KarmaPMPosts: 2,252
    Not sure if it was a quote or not but a good t-shirt;

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu- touch me and your 1st lesson is free

• aerick
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 81
    "If you ever dream of beating me you better wake up and apologize"
    -Muhammad Ali

""It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.""
    -Theodore Roosevelt

"If I'm in a fair fight, I've done something terribly wrong..." - Red Baron

• ApeMan
    "im so fast, whenI shut off the lights at night im in bed before it gets dark" - Ali

• wookieman
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 262
    "Jiu-Jitsu is like tight jeans"

Margarida

This one's pretty good. I thought of this while we were working on side guard escapes today at my request. I still suck at escaping from a good side guard, but I am starting to feel less like a turtle on my back (stuck) and more like a fish out of water (I can move a little but can't quite get where I want to be...yet :evil:)

Now here's one for all you old school WWF fans.

As the late, great Gorilla Monsoon once said, "If you want to beat a big man you got to put him on the ground. That way he's the same size you are."

I thought of that one when I bumped into one of my training partners at work today and realized how freakin' tall he is. I never noticed it because we're always on the mat.

• NoobRoller281
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 90
    This is from Troy but i like to see it as something in Jiu Jitsu.

"he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him........
    Thats why no-one will remember your name."

• "the closed guard is your house - it is dark and cold outside of your house - why would you want to leave your house and go into the cold darkness,"

One of my instructors said that to me when I first started I kept on opening for no reason and now I dont!!

• rocnation
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 14
    "a champion should ask himself: 'if I were to compete against myself, what would I practice to beat me?' -Leo Vieira

• wookieman
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 262
    "Slow turns to smooth, smooth turns to fast"-Dirty Dave
    Tonight I nailed a haf guard sweep I'd been working on for 2 months with that quote running through my head.

(I like to add fast turns to tap :punch: )

And if you liked that one...

Smarta** Student: Mr. Wookieman, how mad would I have to make you for you to punch me in the face?

Me: There are worse things than getting punched in the face.

Student: That just sounds painful. I don't even think I want to know.

I am a high school teacher by the way, and no, I don't advocate using joint locks and chokes on my students.

• jdznate
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 67
    "If it feels naughty, you're doing it right."

• "If it feels naughty, you're doing it right."

Was that the man in your avatar that said that?!!

• Amave
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 1,158
    "If it feels naughty, you're doing it right."

Was that the man in your avatar that said that?!!

lol

bow chicka bow bow :offtopic:

• jackjitsujackjitsu
    Platinum VIP Member

bow chicka bow bow

:roflcat:

just spit my morning coffee out :rofl:

• Mr.Black.Belt
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 2

Its true that the elephant is afraid of mice, they get into their trump killing them.

• billykid
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 261
    "My Opponent is my best Teacher, my Ego is my only Enemy"

• Mr.Black.Belt
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 2
    "the closed guard is your house - it is dark and cold outside of your house - why would you want to leave your house and go into the cold darkness,"

One of my instructors said that to me when I first started I kept on opening for no reason and now I dont!!

To explore the possibility, sooner or later your opponent is going to open your guard, and now you are in the dark and cold and you don`t know what to do. Once you learned how to play close guard, it is time to learn something else spider, de la riva, half, butterfly, cross, and all variation from each one. good luck!!!

• jodinho
    0.00 KarmaPMPosts: 47
    Me: Hey dad, I got a girlfriend
    Dad: Thats great, son! Whats her name?
    Me: Jiu Jitsu

My fiancee calls it the mistress

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion